Notices

Got fired today - feeling blue

Old 12-14-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Got fired today - feeling blue

Yup. Got fired today and it had nothing to do with drinking. I have not had a drink since Feb. I was really liking my job too, but I guess I was not doing it well enough (which surprised me). I had been there about 1.5 months but never had any more than 2 consecutive shifts with many days on no work in between, so I was not learning at a fast enough pace to suit management.

It's such a blow to my self esteem. I feel like a failure and I'm trying to tell myself that sometimes things just don't work out and these things happen. I should not be defining myself over this.

I have been feeling sort of down the last couple of days. I knew my boss was pissed off at me last week and then of course, I didn't work all week and was called in today and canned.

And xmas coming up soon, and I'm all alone in town - my family lives 3 3000 km away. I've been trying to get out and keep busy, but many people don't realize that someone is alone and forget to invite them along for some festivities. I've always found Christmas difficult but now added with my firing I've fallen way lower than I was expecting to go

I just need a few kind words to help bolster my self esteem. I'm not reaching for booze. I was hoping for those dec shifts to pay for xmas. Oh well.

CF
Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you get some respite from your troubles.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's awful :-(

I hope your fortunes turn around soon x
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear the news. Keep your head high and realize that it just clearly wasn't the right job for you. Once you find a new one, you may love it way more than this last one and realize this was a blessing in disguise. The fact you have your sobriety is the best Christmas gift anyone could give you so even if you end up being alone, you have that and, of course, all of us here as well.
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, Calicofish, what a bummer! Could you go visit your family? Reach out to your friends maybe? So sorry you are going through this.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hope a better job comes around for you. Will be keeping you in my prayers.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am really sorry to hear this, Calico.

Sending hugs your way; they should be arriving any minute now.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. I hope everything works out and you get a new job soon. Glad to hear you aren't thinking of drinking. Stay positive as best you can, I kow its tough. Congrats on your sober time, no one can take that away from you!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you lost your job, Calicofish, especially at this time of the year. I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason, and that something better is in store for you.

If you are feeling lonely as Christmas approaches, maybe you could think about helping out at a food bank or soup kitchen in your area. It would give you a chance to be doing something positive and meeting new people.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Calico, that's a tough blow. Sorry to hear that. You are a good fish.

Are you ok working retail temporarily? Tis the season... They need people short term!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oooh what Anna said!!

I lost my girlfriend, crashed my car, lost my job, and got a cancer diagnosis (false but took months to figure out) within 6 months of my 30th birthday. I call that the year of the country song... In any case, I couldn't go home for Christmas because of the cancer thing. I had to go straight to a dr. And couldn't leave for home until New Years. So I worked in a soup kitchen on Christmas Day. It was wonderful
! It felt so good to be around people, feel useful, and be able to put a smile on people's faces. I highly recommend it.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, calico. I believe this only means that something better is about to happen for you. Hugs while you find out what that is.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It happened to me as well not too long ago. Got a layoff (basically fired), not for job performance , but for talking very little about personal issues I had with another coworker. I drank daily for a while and now I am stopping. I want to get my crap together and find another job. This seemed impossible when drinking cause it made me feel so depressed.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Calicofish - I'm sorry for what happened as well but I'm hoping this is an opportunity beginning for you , rather than something ending

D
Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Calicofish, good for you coming here. Keep milking this site for all the support you can get. I second the volunteering thing. My work history is horrible and volunteering has helped. This world needs sober alcoholics but it looks like you are needed elsewhere than your past job.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm sorry CF
You're right, don't let it define you.
I don't know if you're into AA but the clubhouse right by me has meetings every hour for 24 straight hours starting xmas eve. There might be something similar nearby for you.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Absolutely agree with Anna everything happens for a reason, something better may be just around the corner. And don't feel bad about the fact your job didn't work out. Sounds like you may have not been getting enough shifts anyway so perhaps a
New job with more hours is on it's way in the new year ... Good luck and well done for not even considering this set back as a reason to drink. You should be very proud !
Old 12-14-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
under new management

So sorry, calicofish
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Calicofish -

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Sending you a warm hug. Please be a good friend to yourself for the holidays and not beat yourself up.

We always welcome and enjoy folks to join us for the holiday meals. It puts the family on good behavior when there is a fresh face . Maybe you can ask around if anyone you know is hosting and has room for 1 more?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Calicofish,

Sorry to hear about your news. This is a testing time for you and you can only grow stronger from this experience. All the best mate