Notices

newcomer

Old 12-13-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newcomer

I'm 25. Drink anywhere from 1-7 servings of alcohol most days out of the week. Occasionally, I skip days and on most weekends I drink an unknown amount (maybe 8-10 servings). Yesterday, I may have had 15 to 17 servings of alcohol (champagne and beer; usually I don't drink this much). I am a 5'10" 135 pound female. I was hung over ALL day regretting every minute of it.

I am doing very well at work and never miss a day if I am hung over. But financially I could be using the money on something better. Also my health isn't very perfect. I am low on B12 and have psoriasis. The psoriasis isn't that bad or noticeable, but alcohol can make it worse. I've told myself I'd slow down many times and I would for a short time.

I just want to try 90 days of sobriety so that I can clear my head and really evaluate the difference.

Idk how hard it's going to be. Saturday I have plans to go out and pretty much get **** faced with my friends. I always cancel so I want to go, but I want to stay strong while I am there. I have gone to bars and gone out without having any drinks. I also have gone out and only have 2 or 3 drinks. For me, I just think it all comes down to will power and changing the way I deal with stress.

I do yoga so I plan to increase my practice to be daily and get back into my gym routine (I rarely drank when I worked out daily - I stopped a month ago).
It's only hard for me at night after work. But I can see I am playing with fire and I don't want to have an issue or let it get worse. I just want to deal with my emotions and stress in a healthy sustainable way.
Advice welcomed and needed.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello-

Given the progressive nature of alcoholism, and the large amount you are not unknown to drink, I'd say there's a good chance it could get worse. It sounds like you recognize it as enough of a problem to warrant a change. The sober life is worth putting down the bottle for!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi forbetterliving. I think starting with 90 days of sobriety is a good idea. I find that exercising really helps. Also you should probably steer clear of happy hours and parties for a while.

You can do this.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

You will never regret making the decision to remove alcohol from your life, a great decision & one I wished i'de have made at your age! Glad you are here!
Old 12-13-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 1, 30 years old and I identify with a lot of what you have said, though if it were me I would totally steer clear of any bar situation - give yourself the best start to your 90 days as possible.

Good luck with it I am on day 1 so doing it with you!!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. I would advise you not to get too hung up on the specific units you are drinking mid week because what not may not seem like a lot for someone else may well be a lot for you if you feel you have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. If you are drinking most days, getting drunk at weekends and feel concerned enough to come and post on the site I think there is a high probability that your relationship with and use of alcohol is not healthy. Note healthy = the first step in a journey towards a full blown life threatening crisis.

Quitting for 90 days is a great start. If you try it, then make a 100% promise to NEVER drink in this 90 days. Then see how you find it. If you find yourself trying to make exceptions so that you can drink (yes, I know they will seem like valid excuses) you will know that your addiction is indeed live and well. If 90 days is not problem and you find yourself not thinking about alcohol all that often then maybe the problem is not that bad.

As others have said...alcoholism is progressive....I am an alcoholic and I drank like you did for a few years before things started to slide downhill. I had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol then and I wish I have listened to my intuition at that point and quit. It would have saved me a lot of pain.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome ForBetterLiving
Old 12-15-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ForBetterLiving!!