Notices

Hi, first post struggling. Although hopeful

Old 12-12-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, first post struggling. Although hopeful

Where do I start... I have been drinking for 15 years on and off.Im 37 years old now. I have struggled greatly in the past 10 years with my addictions.i lost my mother last year to alcohol and drugs. My partner said to me this will either make you or break you. Well it broke me. Almost killed me. I'm here because I am fighting back. I can't let my alcoholism take what's left of me. I relapsed today. 2 weeks sober. A very small( a few drinks relapse) which I was able to quite before binging. However the want/need feeling is still with me. I whole heartedly am ready for recovery but I realize that I need more support. I can't to it on my own...
Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Heather and welcome to SR. Doesn't it feel good to realize that you do not have to do it alone? Glad that you are here and part of the community.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Heather.

Welcome to SR - it's a great place of support, encouragement and understanding.

I don't think most of us were ever "ready" for recovery - there were different reasons "had enough", "can't live like this any more", etc., but hardly "ready".

"Start before you're ready" - you are always ready for not having a drink NOW, at this moment. When the time comes to deal with future problems - you'll get ready then.

In early recover support and good sound plan are essential. What are you triggers, "dangerous zones", when urges to drink are the most?

Read about here - lots of successful stories and great advice and wisdom.

Congrats on your decision to get sober and keep posting.

Best wishes to you.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Heather! Welcome to the fam.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Heather -= this is a great place for support.
SR really helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you do the same

welcome aboard

D
Old 12-12-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Heather
Old 12-12-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Heather78! I'm glad you joined us here. You'll find a lot of support from people who've faced the same battle you're facing.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all very much. As far as being "ready". Yes, so much emotion in one post is very overwhelming.. Yes I'm tired of hurting, suffering,and worried that I may not see tomorrow or my family again or whether I'll get through another withdrawal... I'm struggling deeply with the reality of what I've created through my addictions..I feel very isolated in my thoughts as I try to keep them positive and stay strong.. I realize that I'm not really addressing the problems within me. Alcoholism .. I sober up.. I look at myself in the mirror realize the damage I've done and the time that has past. Memories lost..I want to get better how does one cope with the fact that their life stopped 10 years ago just to awaken again .
Old 12-13-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, Heather.

Welcome to SR - it's a great place of support, encouragement and understanding.

I don't think most of us were ever "ready" for recovery - there were different reasons "had enough", "can't live like this any more", etc., but hardly "ready".

"Start before you're ready" - you are always ready for not having a drink NOW, at this moment. When the time comes to deal with future problems - you'll get ready then.

In early recover support and good sound plan are essential. What are you triggers, "dangerous zones", when urges to drink are the most?

Read about here - lots of successful stories and great advice and wisdom.

Congrats on your decision to get sober and keep posting.

Best wishes to you.
Thank you,I definitely need structure.A starting point.IM SO LOST,FIGHTING DESPERATELY ... just to fail
Old 12-13-2015, 12:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just look at how many people on this forum are at your stage, further along or are at years of sobriety. You are not alone in this battle but the battle is in front of you. It's so hard I know, I'm only at day two so I know the struggles because I'm living them right now. Just try and not drink today. You can do it and you are worth it. There's so much more to live for that we don't realise until we hear it from others who have done it. Hang in tree friend
Old 12-13-2015, 12:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just look at how many people on this forum are at your stage, further along or are at years of sobriety. You are not alone in this battle but the battle is in front of you. It's so hard I know, I'm only at day two so I know the struggles because I'm living them right now. Just try and not drink today. You can do it and you are worth it. There's so much more to live for that we don't realise until we hear it from others who have done it. Hang in there friend
Old 12-13-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Welcome to SR, Heather78! I'm glad you joined us here. You'll find a lot of support from people who've faced the same battle you're facing.
Thank you. very much for your response and support.. I found this site a couple of weeks ago while suffering pretty bad withdrawals at home. Desperate for some comfort and help through the words of many posts I grew stronger and hopeful just to get too comfortable. I will continue to read, study and post daily... I'm lost alone...
Old 12-13-2015, 01:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Heather. Let me add my welcome to those of all the other people here. We're a supportive group. I think it would be great if you can try to post every day for a while at least. That process will help us to get to know each other better and it may also help you get a grasp on your thoughts and emotions, which were probably all jumbled up.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Heather, welcome to SR. Lts of support and advice to be found here.
Tell me, do you think your problem is bad enough for you to go to AA.

It is likely there are meetings quite close and easy to get to, wherever you are. It's good to have some f2f conact with people who know what you are going through.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Heather, Welcome
Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Heather!!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Heather, we all have regrets. Part of being human means I am going to mess up - sometimes spectacularly! The fact is that the past is in the past. Regret and beating myself up never helped at all. If I treat myself kindly, forgive my past mistakes just as I forgive others, then I can move ahead into a better future.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heather78 View Post
I realize that I'm not really addressing the problems within me. Alcoholism .. I sober up.. I look at myself in the mirror realize the damage I've done and the time that has past. Memories lost..I want to get better how does one cope with the fact that their life stopped 10 years ago just to awaken again .
when i was crushed by the refelction in tbe mirror i went to aa and worked the steps. i no longer regret my past. no longer hate who i am because- by working the steps( which helped me find out who i am and clear away the wreckage i created)- i am no longer that man. i have a completely different, better life today.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome Heather. The past is the past. Nothing you can do about it so try not to dwell on it. The good news is that you can have a so much better future. Concentrate on that.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.