Notices

Easy does it

Old 12-11-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Easy does it

Dear all ,

I wanted to post today and tell you how excessive stress brought my mood crashing down which in turn woke up my AV after 4 weeks sober.

It all started with issues with my employer who is shafting us by not paying us public holiday rates over Christmas holidays . Also they are cutting our annual leave by 9 days per year because they say we dont accrue enough due to our 4 on 4 off shift pattern .
I wont go into all the details as that's not something that would make good reading for you guys .

Anyway I decided to challenge the mighty HR on our behalf ( 4 of us )
With letters , phone calls and emails and I wish I hadn't because all it's done is stressed me out . It was too soon after my quit date 13 Nov to take stuff like this on .
I have a long history of anxiety problems and I should have known better to leave this to someone else .
After 4 days of fighting with HR and other management , lack of sleep and appetite I found myself becoming depressed then last night at work I was starting to think alcohol thoughts .
I came home and found myself quite weepy and feeling sorry for myself , being very short with everyone etc and I DON'T want to be there .
It was only a few days ago I was posting here saying how positive things were and now this ????? Yes that's what I asked my self , why this mood . The answer wasn't too far away ! I took stuff on I shouldn't have at the worst possible time ( I usually don't cope well in winter at the best of times ) .

So i'm here to tell you that I have taken a step back from the work issue . I have metaphorically handed all of this over to my higher power because it is too much for me at this time .

So I urge you guys , in early days of sober " Easy does it " .

Last edited by hpdw; 12-11-2015 at 06:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good move Thomas
Old 12-11-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SW I read you blog , Your story inspires me
A good old strong British hug is what i'd give you so i'm sending that all the way from Edinburgh to you .
I also have a Niece who is in need of help but unfortunately doesn't see it yet .
I never preach so its up to her to decide .

Peace
Old 12-11-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Easy does it is right, sometimes taking a step back is the best choice. I am glad you did not get sucked into temptation and drink. Your doing a good job.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great way forward Thomas, in early Sobriety to much at the one time sometimes can be overwhelming, remaining Sober can be draining on it's own!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 12-11-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Well done!

This too shall pass@!
Old 12-11-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thomas, you've learned a great lesson, a very valuable lesson. Knowing when to slow down or step back was something I had to learn too. I had believed that I had to jump into things like you were talking about, but like you, I found there was a time for letting things go.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done. I need to practice letting go in many areas as well.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done in not letting the stress drive you and assessing the mood in a very smart way.
Great job not drinking and great job in standing up for yourself in more ways than one.
Keep on keeping on

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 12-11-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Great job in standing up for you and your workmates. That was a big thing to take on, but when we stand up for what we believe in, God seems to keep us unharmed. It might have been a bit much for early sobriety, but on the otherhand you didn't drink and no doubt learned a lot. I find I don't learn much if I don't try things.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thomas: Good for you. I assume you were able to resist any suggestion by your AV that "one little drink would not do any harm (after all I've been under all this stress!"). And I don't want to be too paranoid about AV's but frankly I might even consider the possibility that the AV tries to get us into these stress situations so we become more vulnerable to suggestions to pick up ("just one"). Even though it comes from a lizard brain it has a way of being a pretty smart lizard at times when it wants the alcohol to resume. So it's best not to take on too much, particularly if it's only butting your head against a wall and earning a bad rep. with your employer in the long run, which could rebound in other ways. Steady on! Live in the Now. One day at a time. Easy does it!