Notices

Bad Thoughts

Old 12-11-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Thoughts

Hey everyone. I'm maybe a week or two past three months. I have to be honest when I say a large part of my sobriety has been self isolation and the introduction of a girlfriend into my life. I don't think this a bad thing, and even before quitting I had the tendency to go into long spells of isolation. I just can't seem to be the guy who shows up every weekend for the x, y or z. I'm always in and out, and I start of strong with new groups of friends and eventually fall out of the "regular" category.

I guess my life is boring and I find myself fantasizing about drinking.

I don't have much else to say but I wanted to be accountable somewhere and admit that I've been thinking about drinking again.

I also have a big month long trip across several countries that is well deserved and I want to be firm in my sober resolve before I go. That I can have fun travelling sober.

So yeah. A little worried. A little alone. A little lost and bored.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kinzoku

I didn't know much when I quit but I knew drinking like I did would eventually kill me.

I figured if my life was boring that would be the price I paid for life.

In fact what I found was I still living life the same way I used to when I drank - I did very little, I saw very few people and I wondered why my life was boring.

Things that were more or less tolerable drunk were not tolerable sober. Things had to change.

Once I realised it was up to me whether my life was boring or not, things got a lot better.

It doesn't matter if you're not very outgoing, or if your conversation span is not that great...I found I had to accept all of me, flaws and all.

I'm not very outgoing and I do prefer alone time a lot of the time. But there's no reason I (or you) can't live a life that's rich and fulfilling.

Sure it takes a little more work that going down the to the liquor store, but I think it's worth it.

You're worth the effort

Find a life you love and live the hell out of it

D
Old 12-11-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's exciting about your trip and is definitely something to look forward to.

I can really relate to the boredom. My life definitely used to be more interesting before the drink got hold of me even though I've always preferred quite a lot of time alone. Thing is, my world got smaller and smaller and it has taken a long time for me to realise that it's due to the booze. I put it down to so many other reasons that weren't my fault, but drink has replaced many things for me. I'm not happy with that realisation so I'm now sober.

I go to AA meetings and that's quite good to encourage me to get out and seek support outside of the home.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I think I just felt like a little support and its well received. Alcohol was one of the ways I connected with people, and I find it hard now not to hang with people who are drinking (easy) but I find it rather pointless. And I've not been holding myself to a high standard in finding new friends and activities. Its really on me to be interesting, you are right.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
Thanks guys, I think I just felt like a little support and its well received. Alcohol was one of the ways I connected with people, and I find it hard now not to hang with people who are drinking (easy) but I find it rather pointless. And I've not been holding myself to a high standard in finding new friends and activities. Its really on me to be interesting, you are right.
It's hard and I find it difficult, but don't be so hard on yourself, you've got this!
Old 12-11-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found that I used alcohol to make myself sociable. All I really did was make myself obnoxious or embarrassing but thats another story.

The point is I'm a lot quieter sober - and that's ok...that's who I am

D
Old 12-11-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Kinzoku

I didn't know much when I quit but I knew drinking like I did would eventually kill me.

I figured if my life was boring that would be the price I paid for life.

In fact what I found was I still living life the same way I used to when I drank - I did very little, I saw very few people and I wondered why my life was boring.

Things that were more or less tolerable drunk were not tolerable sober. Things had to change.

Once I realised it was up to me whether my life was boring or not, things got a lot better.

It doesn't matter if you're not very outgoing, or if your conversation span is not that great...I found I had to accept all of me, flaws and all.

I'm not very outgoing and I do prefer alone time a lot of the time. But there's no reason I (or you) can't live a life that's rich and fulfilling.

Sure it takes a little more work that going down the to the liquor store, but I think it's worth it.

You're worth the effort

Find a life you love and live the hell out of it

D
This is my favourite SR post of 2015 great advice
Old 12-11-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You never have to feel alone Kinzoku, SR is in your corner!!
Old 12-11-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to feeling bored a lot with life and turning to drinking to ease my boredom and loneliness. The thing is that when I drink I can't really do anything to improve my life, I just end up planning on going to the store to buy more drink. I am trying to suck it up and accept life as it is and try to fix it.