Notices

Old 12-10-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi people. I am a drinker. I say that because I struggle with the term alcohoic almost as much as I struggle to control my alcohol. I am, I guess, a functioning alcoholic if I must out a label on it. I don't have a drink first thing in the morning. I don't even drink every single day. When I do drink tho I have no control over it. I just don't know when to stop. The lyrics to ozzy osbournes song 'demon alcohol' resonate with me. I have tried a couple of aa meetings but the religious side of it put me off. I identify as a Buddhist, albeit a rather crap one as I drink and eat meet lol. For 14 years ive felt my drinking was a problem and for 14 years ive has friends tell me it isn't and I should just cut down a bit. 14 years ive tried to and failed. They just don't seem to understand. Anyway, I hope to find a bit more support here

Last edited by Buffetslayer; 12-10-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-10-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Buffetslayer
Old 12-10-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Buffetslayer. I'm glad you found us here.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Buffetslayer!!
Old 12-10-2015, 02:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If the label bothers you - don't use it, no worries - but please do something about the problem you know exists.

There's a lot of support and wisdom here

D
Old 12-10-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

My friends used to tell me "just cut back", too. Usually over enough drinks for us all to risk DUI. Telling them to cut back brought bad response.

For some of us there is no moderation. No "social" drinking.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first step is to identify that you have a problem and take self inventory of what's causing you to drink out of your control.

Second step is to come up with a plan. You don't need AA to recover, there are many alternative. Just find the one that's right for you.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First of all, I love your username!

Secondly, I'm glad you're here. This is a great community and there's so much help to be found here.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Buffetslayer,

Welcome to the forums!

Just wanted to say that your description of your drinking fit me perfectly. Binge drinking. I often think it's one of the hardest types of addiction for people to see as a problem, because in my case I could go days, sometimes even weeks without a drink. Proving to myself I didn't have a problem. The fact I couldn't stop once I started drinking, though, was where the problem was.

Read around these forums and you'll soon see how many of us drank the way you do. And that type of drinking can destroy lives just as much as drinking every day.

Well done for realising you might have a problem, and exploring ways to deal with it. There are a lot of different approaches discussed on here. AA is one, but there are many others. I used AVRT (find more info in the Secular forums here) and also Allen Carr's How to Control Your Drinking as extra support. And of course you will get a lot of support and encouragement from people here.