Notices

Pretty sure I'm on the edge of liver failure

Old 12-09-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pretty sure I'm on the edge of liver failure

I know I'm an alcoholic, and I have attempted to quit drinking several times.

Last time was this summer where I made it 45 days, relapsed when school began. I am seeing my Doctor on Friday to get the medications I need to detox (and get a blood-test), I do so under my families supervision back home. However I have to wait until I finish finals next week before I do so.

My commitment to quitting this time is amplified significantly by actually feeling my liver at this point. It barely registers as pain, but it certainly is noticeable and concerning.

I come here asking if I'm fine waiting until Friday when I see my Doctor, or if I'm better off seeking treatment now?

BTW plan on sticking around here, this seems like a great forum and resource!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you have a plan to quit Archer, welcome to SR ! Regarding your question about going now vs waiting until Friday, only you can answer that. If you have concerns now, go now.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

The only way you'll know if you have a liver problem is getting it tested by the dr. I wouldn't panic until you get it tested and get the results back and have a chance to talk with the dr. about the tests. I recently had mine tested and liver enzymes were higher than normal initially and 30 days after stopping drinking. I had them tested again at about 80 days sober and they had returned to normal at that point. The liver is an amazing organ and can repair itself, if it's not too damaged. So don't panic, see your dr. but a couple of days shouldn't make a difference as long as you're not drinking.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This is a great place to get support as you start your journey towards getting and staying sober. I found it helped best when I stayed actively involved here.

We can't advise you regarding your liver. As the above posts have said, only your doctor can say for sure. Each person is different. Schedule your appointment and go. Don't drink. And if you do get good results, as is likely, don't consider it a free pass to continue drinking.

Keep coming back.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No harm in seeing your doctor and having a chat - if only to make sure that things are in place to get proper tests etc run as soon as your finals are over (perhaps straight after the last exam so you're not tempted to celebrate in too big an alcoholic stylee!)
Old 12-09-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Archer!

I'm glad you are planning to stop drinking. I agree that if you are concerned, then go to the dr now.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean by "feeling your liver" I could feel mine too. It was an uncomfortable awareness that I was indeed killing myself glass by glass.

You mentioned finals, so I'm going to assume youre young. Get the tests done so you know where you stand health wise.

Drinking lots of water will help flush toxins etc in the mean time. Your liver will thank you for that.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was required to have a liver test and passed with a clean bill of health about 5 years ago now.
It was scary waiting to find out that I had not damaged my liver noticeably over the years but my plan to stop drinking didn't come to fruition until several years later.
I've no idea if my results had have been different weather things would have turned out different for me but I finally quit just over 2 years ago and now wonder, with hindsight, why it took me so long!
Keep on keeping on
Hope and positivity for you

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 12-09-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaidenNZ View Post
I know what you mean by "feeling your liver" I could feel mine too. It was an uncomfortable awareness that I was indeed killing myself glass by glass.

You mentioned finals, so I'm going to assume youre young. Get the tests done so you know where you stand health wise.

Drinking lots of water will help flush toxins etc in the mean time. Your liver will thank you for that.
Basically where I am at right now.

Thank you all for your feedback, support and a warm welcome.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great advice here Archer - I can't add to it
Welcome to SR

D
Old 12-09-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Archer240 View Post
I am seeing my Doctor on Friday to get the medications I need to detox (and get a blood-test), I do so under my families supervision back home. However I have to wait until I finish finals next week before I do so.
Will you be drinking up till the time you go home?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Archer. One thing is for sure, no matter what the test results come back at, drinking another drink will only make matters worse. Quit now.

I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease years ago. Quitting set everything straight, but you've got to stop the progress. I sure wish I had quit back when I was in college rather than waiting another 18 years!

Welcome aboard, you've found a great community.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Will you be drinking up till the time you go home?
My Doctor has advised me in the past not to stop drinking when I'm living alone due to potential severe side-effects from detox that can occur for an alcoholic like me.

That being said, if I'm honest with myself I have a lot of room to cut back. I have managed in the past on medicinal quantities to stave off the symptoms of detox. I was using this time as a last hoorah, but the situation is making me reassess my priorities.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome Archer, glad you're here with us!

You mentioned acceptance of the problem, that's good. Not everyone gets that. Many accept the problem, but not the solution. I know I did this for years. The alcoholic merry go round - drink, quit, feel a little better, hit a little "trigger" I mean excuse for drinking and the circus music and the ride starts over again.

Hope you'll get the medical issues squared away and keep posting. There are solutions to our problems.

Welcome
Old 12-09-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Archer!!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

While I can't give medical advice, it's Wednesday night as I type this and from your post you indicated you are seeing your Dr. on Friday.

I think that's soon enough, unless there is something else going on and you need to go to the emergency room.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Get you liver tested as soon as you can, tomorrow is fine. Regardless of the result you need to make a commitment to yourself, now, to quit forever.
Read around the site. You will see the cycle of drinking-quit-drinking-quit repeated over and over again. If you are an alcoholic at an early age then this will kill you. you have your whole life ahead of you so please regardless of the test result make a decision to quit, forever. You have nothing to lose and your life to gain.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Archer & have made a decision to quit drinking...you are not alone in this!
Old 12-09-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

That pain is what caused me to stop. I knew that if I didn't stop, I would die. Even then it took me 6 months to quit. Don't ignore this warning.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just began to feel that slight pain a few days ago. It's like, Red Alert, stop drinking now.