Notices

New here

Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi all
This is my first post and I can honestly say I am very scared. Here goes, I have been a daily drinker of beer and wine for the last 8 years. Over the last 12 months I have cut down as I started working nights so wouldn't drink for 3/4 nights of the week. Over the last 2 months I have reduced my intake and tonight is my 5th night alcohol free. I don't think I was dependant it was just more of a habit! Which I needed to break. I'm proud of my progress so far but the thing concerning me the most is my liver or what's left of it. I don't feel unwell, don't have any symptoms of cirrhosis (late stages) but have noticed a few cherry angiomas on my abdomen. Stupidly I googled it and as I'm sure some of you know I have scared myself to death. I suffer with anxiety already so at the moment I'm feeling pretty crap. I haven't been to my doctors as I'm too scared (stupid I know).
Thanks for any support 🙂
Old 12-08-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I would suggest you schedule an apt. Early detection (if there really is something going on) is always going to be the best. And I highly suggest staying away from Dr Google. I was pregnant once. Oops, I'm a guy. Thanks "Dr G"!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks badger
I know I should, just this GAD plays all sorts of tricks with my head. I have 2 kids and I just keep thinking if I do have cirrhosis then what are they going to do when I die!!!!
Hate myself for letting the drink do this 😢
Old 12-08-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Stressed know were all here for you
Old 12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stressed1234 View Post
Thanks badger
I know I should, just this GAD plays all sorts of tricks with my head. I have 2 kids and I just keep thinking if I do have cirrhosis then what are they going to do when I die!!!!
Hate myself for letting the drink do this 😢
Welcome stressed and congrats on 5 days sober! Dr google is a bad thing...if you have health concern you do really need to see a real doctor of course.

Think of it this way...wouldn't you feel better for your kids knowing that you are taking care of yourself? And if something would somehow be wrong, woudn't you rather receive treatment to make it better? Our bodies are pretty amazing as to what they can recover from, but we need to make sure we get the help we need in order for that to happen.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. 🙂
Old 12-08-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Stressed, and congratulations on 5 sober days.

I, too, would suggest a visit to your doctor. Quite often 'reality' is far better and far more optimistic than what 'anxiety and Dr. Google' can suggest. IF there is, in fact, a medical problem, you and your doctor can appropriately address the issue.

Glad you found us.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

First things first ,day 5 well done keep it up , secondly we can go through a period of fears of the unknown after a long spell of alcohol abuse , as you say ''googling '' is not a good idea as we end up with life threatening self diagnosis and inherit ''imaginary fears '' so make your mind up go to a doctor and ''ascertain'' your ''real or imaginary ''fears , the longer you put this off will lead to more fear and then ''you '' will lift the bottle . take care .

Stevie
Old 12-08-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Stressed!!