Notices

Changing it up

Old 12-07-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing it up

I've decided to change my approach to depression and anxiety related issues that have plagued me this year. This week, I'm choosing to be as mindful as possible in my life. I started today at work, it felt awkward to be honest, it felt weird and I pushed myself out of my head as much as I could. I suppose being mindful comes down to practice.

I was also adopting a similar approach with my daughter when I saw her tonight. Just being grateful for having her in my life and that she is ok and doing well.

I found myself responding to someone who asked me how I was today- "I'm great thanks". It was not that I was or am great but I felt it was a new response. I normally just say I'm ok or not so bad.

I'm trying to re-train my brain to focus in more of a positive way.

I'm rambling a bit now, I think I've had a go today and it's something to build on for tomorrow.

Work is tricky to be honest, the subject matter is very boring and repetitive and I don't feel challenged, plus they just made cutbacks recently so chances of development with the company are slim to none right now.

Hope everyone is good

Stewy x
Old 12-07-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sounds really positive Stewy
Old 12-07-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds like an excellent move Stewy. Sometimes life is truly "what we make of it"...and starting out the day on a positive note can never hurt. I attempt to incorporate mindfulness into my life whenever possible to and it does really help, not just with my anxiety but in all areas.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, Mindfulness is a great tool and it can really help to improve the quality of your life.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great way forward Stewy!!
Old 12-07-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see your post!
I find myself doing things out of habit - as you mentioned your common response to How Are You? -
"I'm great thanks". It was not that I was or am great but I felt it was a new response. I normally just say I'm ok or not so bad.

I often try to do things differently just to keep from getting stuck in a rut.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to read you seem to be doing better.
Someone posted this about mindfulness a while back. Great stuff.

There is a classic tale about letting go that involves two monks and a young woman. The monks are out for a walk when they come across the young woman standing by the side of a river. She can’t get across because the bridge has been washed away. Without hesitating, one of the monks picks her up and carries her to the other side. Then the monks continue on their way. After some time, the second monk turns to his companion and says, “ How could you have done that? How could you have picked her up and broken your vow of chastity? How could you have felt her soft skin against your face?” The first monk is a little surprised by his friend, and says, “I let her go back there. Why do you still carry her?”