Notices

Sober Holiday Party

Old 12-07-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober Holiday Party

Went to a Holiday Party this past weekend. This is usually a party in which I would get hammered and have "fun". And then have the hangover to prove it.

Stayed sober this time around, and was just as much fun, and guess what? I was able to actually do things the day after without being sick. Had some good quality time with family this weekend.

It was a good weekend. I dont know what day I am on, doesnt matter. Just matters what I did yesterday and what I will do today.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great work Jryan! I find that i'm able to attend such events now too and have just as much fun. I also find that there are usually plenty of people at parties, weddings, etc. that don't drink at all - and most of them aren't alcholics, they just choose not to drink.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Great work Jryan! I find that i'm able to attend such events now too and have just as much fun. I also find that there are usually plenty of people at parties, weddings, etc. that don't drink at all - and most of them aren't alcholics, they just choose not to drink.
I agree 100%. I always just associated parties with drinking. And it doesnt have to be that way. It just doesnt.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I too associated holiday parties with drinking and thought well everyone drinks at them. Went to one sober an realized many people do not drink at these parties, I was just so caught up thinking that way because I always drank at them. It is nice to finally see life without the booze goggles on.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I agree 100%. I always just associated parties with drinking. And it doesnt have to be that way. It just doesnt.
That's great to learn, isn't it!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Jryan
Old 12-07-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yay, you! What a freeing experience it is when you find out you don't have to drink to have fun. Or dance. Or sing. Good for you!
Old 12-07-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Yay, you! What a freeing experience it is when you find out you don't have to drink to have fun. Or dance. Or sing. Good for you!
Well Im still a little tentative dancing... you know white guys just cant dance (period).
Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job, jryan.

Sobriety rocks.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I realized this on Saturday when I was at my local university of Iowa bar-normally is get hammered, do shots, have people take me home. This time I just watched football and people and wow, I noticed how many would have a beer or two then water. Or just sip on a Coke. Here i thought everyone got hammered. No it was just me making an ass of myself
Old 12-07-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear! I have a couple holiday parties coming up that I normally would be drinking at and am a little nervous; reading your post makes my anxiety about it go down
Old 12-07-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leasha24 View Post
Awesome to hear! I have a couple holiday parties coming up that I normally would be drinking at and am a little nervous; reading your post makes my anxiety about it go down
I was super nervous at first! Especially about two hours before the party started where I would certainly be pregaming in previous year.

But after getting there and getting settled it got so much better. I gave away my drink vouchers as to not be tempted and had iced tea and seltzer and lime. You really notice how many people dont drink, or have one and then stop.

Just be prepared and you will be just fine.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julesonya View Post
I realized this on Saturday when I was at my local university of Iowa bar-normally is get hammered, do shots, have people take me home. This time I just watched football and people and wow, I noticed how many would have a beer or two then water. Or just sip on a Coke. Here i thought everyone got hammered. No it was just me making an ass of myself
Sorry how that game turned out. I was watching the end at the Holiday party. But yeah it is amazing what you notice now that you can notice something besides how much I had left in my bottle.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It is my firms xmas party on Friday. My 1st sober one
Old 12-07-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fantastic Jryan!!
Old 12-07-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Awesome, jryan! This is my first sober holiday season in many years...and I'm right there with you; I'm enjoying it more than I could have imagined, and have noticed that yes, there are people that don't even drink. Huh, who would have thought?
Old 12-07-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

How wonderful jryan. I remember thinking everything would be so dull without it. Thanks for sharing the good news.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I too attended a holiday party sober last week. The table I was seated at had a lady who kept making rude remarks. Normally, after a couple of drinks I would've had enough and called her out on it - creating an even more uncomfortable situation for everyone seated at our table. Instead I didn't let her comments get to me and could see that the other people were beginning to alienate her naturally without me having to address it. Alcohol would've just made the situation worse! It makes everything worse
Old 12-08-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was sitting with a buddy at the holiday part, who was also sober. Him and I would usually be main stays at the bar buying each other drinks etc. We have been working together to stay sober and it is nice to have a friend who drank like I did to work through this process.

Anyways we were talking about how after an hour into the party we would be wasted. Dinner would be served and we would eat very little and keep on drinking. This time, dinner came, and I had seconds (and thirds lol). I talked with people at the table, and was just happy.

I told my wife, because she was wondering if I would have a drink or two, that I dont feel like drinking. I dont fee like feeling like I would the next day. I told her it was so much more worth it to just be sober, enjoy the people, and feel great the next day. We had some plans the next day with the kids and that next day was awesome. Had I been hungover I would be thinking of ways to get out of our plans, or starting to drinking before we had to leave so at least for a little while I would chase the hangover away with alcohol.

I remember telling my wife that it just isnt worth it to me to waste my time with alcohol. It wasnt fun to me anymore. I didnt feel like I need to drink to have fun. And most importantly, I just dont want to be hungover the next day.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

We had some plans the next day with the kids and that next day was awesome. Had I been hungover I would be thinking of ways to get out of our plans, or starting to drinking before we had to leave so at least for a little while I would chase the hangover away with alcohol.

^^^^^^^^^

Yes!!! So glad we don't have to do this anymore!