Notices

Just Go With It?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Go With It?

I have been fighting the feeling of being tired and unmotivated and I wonder if I should just let myself feel tired and unmotivated right now? Would it be better to just let the urge to feel motivated return?

I may have underestimated all the healing required in my body/mind and the amount of relaxation and laziness it requires from me right now. I pushed it pretty hard while I was drinking.

Are you guys all cool with me just playing video games for a while?

In general, should we try and force the behavior we want or let it happen?

I am at about 4.5 months.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 4.5 Months!!

Some days are going to be more energetic than others, Sobriety is a tough journey in the beginning, so there's no problem in having a few sofa, video game days, give your body what it needs, and if that's some rest then go for it!!

We don't need to be bouncing out of bed and seizing the day each and every day!!
Old 12-06-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

You'll have good days and bad days. Check out PAWS, Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrom. There's a good change that's what you're feeling.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you dude, 4.5 months and feeling like I should have it more together by now.
Some days I'm a powerhouse and some days I'm exhausted. I find that I need to strike a balance between giving myself a break and being disciplined. For example, I skipped going to the laundromat today and took a nap so that I would feel up to going to an AA meeting tonight.
The laundry can wait until tomorrow.
I do have to be careful not to let things slide too much or I start to feel depressed.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upwardspiral View Post
I'm right there with you dude, 4.5 months and feeling like I should have it more together by now.
Some days I'm a powerhouse and some days I'm exhausted. I find that I need to strike a balance between giving myself a break and being disciplined. For example, I skipped going to the laundromat today and took a nap so that I would feel up to going to an AA meeting tonight.
The laundry can wait until tomorrow.
I do have to be careful not to let things slide too much or I start to feel depressed.
Glad to hear that I am not the only one. It is the inconsistency that gets to me. I am going to give myself more chill time.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took until my third year of sobriety to give myself permission to slow down and rest without beating myself up. I was constantly on the go, I think I liked the distraction of keeping busy and i also grew up with that puritanical ideology that busyness equaled godliness.

It's the winter, our bodies naturally Need more rest. Enjoy your video games your body will know when it's feeling motivated again.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 4.5 months Sober, Sober

One day my xbox360 decided to quit just after buying all the remastered DMC back catalogue what a beautiful day that was

I have always like what D has to say & I think I asked for the name of a good book to read as I might aswell you know ?

Well

That book was the Tao of Pooh & the Te of piglet

That book changed me I'm realising that as much now as I did then plus it was better than any video game I've ever played in terms of the positive effect it has had on my life

I'd make a great book salesman lol but seriously I then went onto read the shack & illusions two other amazingly awesome books

That has spiraled into me reading around 2 books a weeks & its all awesome books on recovery & spirituality, faith & science literature, biographies, history all sorts & its all because my Xbox broke

I suggest you read the Tao of Pooh & take it from there & of course naturally let it happen

Video games won't do what books will do for you

Some ppl don't like books & I find that to be a crime against hunanity

it's kinda like books is the red pill & video games is the blue pill - matrix refrence