Notices

Somethings gotta give

Old 12-06-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somethings gotta give

Hey friends. So, after weeks (well technically years) of this back and forth nonsense with my so called "friend" alcohol. I am starting to think about outpaitent rehab for the first time. I was sober Monday-Thurs last week and it was so effortless I got cocky and thought I could handle a few drinks on Friday night and last night. Neither ended with a few and I woke up in my clothes this morning with my husband furious with me for not stopping with a couple drinks.

Anyone done outpaitent? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I done group therapy in early sobriety & found it helped massively

I'm also halfway through cbt sessions with a therapist
Old 12-06-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been trying to get a therapist for a few weeks, but most of them in my area are not accepting new clients at this time. Still working on it though...
Old 12-06-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I was sober Monday-Thurs last week and it was so effortless I got cocky and thought I could handle a few drinks on Friday night and last night.
Out patient sounds good. Inpatient might be better. Something has to be better than what you've been (or not been) doing. But nothing will work until you stop trying to moderate your drinking just plain STOP drinking. For good.

Ready to accept you can't drink? Ever? Then commit to sobriety and find something, OP/IP, that will support that decision.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think trying anything different to gain a different outcome is worth a try Pinot.

D
Old 12-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been to ouptatient, it's a great way to gain sober tools while still having to deal with "real daily" life. That's just an opinion from my experience. I wish you success.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hey Pinot, wish I could add something more, but out patient/in patient, something has to give. I know you've been struggling for years, but if nothing changes, nothing changes.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
But nothing will work until you stop trying to moderate your drinking just plain STOP drinking. For good.
Sounds easy enough right?! Too bad its easier said than done. Maybe I'm just not one of the lucky ones who actually figures it out before all hell breaks loose.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Two thoughts. One, no one is lucky. It takes a Heck of a lot of work. And two, sounds like all hell has broken out. You can do it but it takes a plan on how you'll accomplish it.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't actually have to "figure it out", all you have to do is stop drinking. It's amazing how much better life is sober. But you've got to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Changing up your plan is always a good way forward!!
Old 12-06-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have been to IOP (intensive out patient) therapy this past year. I am now in continuing care with the same provider, once a week. It was exactly what I needed. I was able to get the help I needed, and still be with my family and career. Out patient was about 3 months duration, 3 nights a week for 3 hrs each. Insurance covered 90% of the costs. They do random pee tests, so it keeps me accountable for my actions...I need this! So I would highly recommend IOP. Best Wishes
Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't have experience with it but I say why not? Do whatever it takes, PinotNo!
Old 12-07-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Pinot;

I'm on Day 20 after four relapses of a few days each which I called "moderation" this past year.

I am finally accepting, at long last, drinking of any kind will never be safe or possible for me.
Sounds like you are in the same boat.

If Outpatient will give you the support, accountablity, and jump-start you need
I say go for it with 110% effort.

Whatever it takes, do for yourself and your family or you stand to lose it all.

I am working on my Rational Recovery "Big Plan" and am really getting clear
at the deepest emotional level that I can never drink again for any reason.
It is pretty scary, but also a relief.

There are tools out there--find the ones that fit you and don't look back.
You can do it, and if you are ready to commit without qualification or reservation,
they will work.

I wasn't at some level until now, and I can feel a difference inside this time.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Sounds easy enough right?! Too bad its easier said than done. Maybe I'm just not one of the lucky ones who actually figures it out before all hell breaks loose.
It's simple, not easy.

My AV used to tell me I would never figure it out until tragedy struck. Why would it tell me that?

I think it's because my AV is a liar and a thief that wants to control me so I'll keep feeding it alcohol.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've done outpatient treatment followed by inpatient treatment 8 years later because I just would not accept that I couldn't moderate my drinking.

Treatment of any sort will give you tools and accountability but you have to use them. It's not a magic wand to wave away cravings and the urge to drink. I wish I had figured that out earlier and saved myself 8 more years of pain.

I found inpatient to be more helpful for me in the long run because by then, I had been beaten down pretty far and I was ready to quit. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Actually the solution is quite simple: stop swallowing liquid that contains ethanol. It really is that simple. How you become ok with the fact that you cannot drink safely is a separate issue. First you must stop and never start again. Then work on how to be content and happy in sobriety. There is no limit to what drinking can't take from you if you don't stop.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I had a long talk with my mom last night and fessed up to drinking more than I should be again. I bought a bottle of wine yesterday so that I could "taper" off my hangover from Saturday night and as can be expected just ended up drunk again, and today feel worse than I probably would have yesterday. Having major anxiety, shakes, and nauseousness and just feel like overall death. It's insane how many times this has to happen, and how obvious it is that I can't drink anymore, and for some reason I still find an excuse to do so. It's maddening. There is an AA meeting at 12:30 but I don't think I am going to feel good enough to go and I'm so ashamed I'm not sure I could bring myself to walk in the door anyway. I felt so good last week, I just wish... well I don't know what I wish, but being a drunk is definitely not on my wish list.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
quat

#1 Stop
#2 Don't
ip/op, meetings, books , exercise, diet any and all of these things too are great if they work with you , but with or without definitely not happening without #1 & #2 rootin for ya
Old 12-07-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

It's insane how many times this has to happen, and how obvious it is that I can't drink anymore, and for some reason I still find an excuse to do so.
Been there and done that. Insane is the right word for it.

Get free from it. You don't ever have to feel this way again.