RIP Scott Weiland

Old 12-04-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

RIP Scott Weiland

He died "in his sleep." Not shocking...still sad. Always loved STP and had hopes for that guy getting better.

An acquaintance died last weekend too. Pancreatitis. 40 years old. He drank as much as XABF - THAT scares the crap out of me. He apparently had about 24 hours of gut pain before all his organs shut down. I have another friend - in and out of the hospital with pancreatits for the better part of the last year. She has surgery, gets out of the hospital and drinks again. Not sure why some get so many chances to heal, and some don't on the death by alcohol timeline Like anything - luck of the draw I suppose.

Seeing lots of codie / addict traits in friends and family and feeling surrounded, and just in horror and awe how prevalent addiction is today - including ours.

I'll get out and do something positive for me this weekend - I need to get my mind off of wanting to Amazon Prime everyone I know the books I've read because they've helped me so much.

Thanks for listening!
Old 12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of my last great "codie acts" a couple of years ago happened when STBXAH spent about four days laid up in bed with terrible stomach problems. I finally convinced him to go to the doctor, and when he was on his way, I called and told them to inform the doctor that STBXAH had a serious drinking problem, and that they should check his liver and pancreas. I have no idea if they did, or what they discovered (he said they told him he just had a virus), but that was honestly the last time I really inserted myself into STBXAH's life in that way.

These stories always make me very sad. Every April someone posts a story about the anniversary of Layne Staley's death, and that one has always haunted me--even before I gained personal experience in living with an addict. His sickness was so profound and ran so deep. Oftentimes, when it's a celebrity or other public figure, it's easier for me to step back and acknowledge how much emotional pain must underlie the addiction, and how very sad that is. It's a lot harder to acknowledge that with my own STBXAH.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a Stone Temple Pilots fan too...so sad about Scott. From what I read he had several addiction problems, went to rehab several times, but still battled. He was married and had two kids.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Staley's death haunted me too - and Chris Farley was a BLOW to me - long before XABF. I know - why did I feel so sorry for strangers and so abhorrent of the X?!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I actually saw Chris Farley about six months before he died. My then-fiance (who became my first husband) and I were with another couple at the restaurant in the John Hancock (where Chris Farley had a condo, and where he ultimately died). Chris Farley was there, holding court at the bar, in the biggest white dinner jacket I had ever seen. He looked very rough at that point.

Philip Seymour Hoffman hit me really hard. Especially when it came out that his longtime partner had made him move out of the family home when he relapsed with heroin.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh yeah - PSH. So much brilliance - such a waste.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What puzzles me about celebrity drug & alcohol abuse is that they have so much at stake and also have the money to be very selective about finding a rehab facility, counseling, therapy etc yet many don't take advantage of their position in life for their own health. You'd figure even a manager or promoter who keep them straight for their own profit.

I've seen this guy's name in celebrity news too many times with words like rehab, relapse etc. Not a surprise, disappointment yes. Leaving two kids behind as well.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Addiction is no respecter of money, talent or even youth. Nothing's truer than saying the addict has to drive their own recovery. Once they get to that point I suppose being able to afford treatment helps, but AA or NA is still free.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got to see a different perspective on this issue a couple of months ago.

A 33 year old man, the brother in law of a close friend, was on his deathbed from alcoholism. The liver and kidneys had both failed. The BIL invited me to go to the hospital with him to visit. The dying man professed a conversion to a strong personal faith in God, and I asked him if he wanted to be baptised. As I poured the water over his head, I saw an immediate transformation take place. He lived another 4 weeks. I got to see him several times before he finally died. During that period he was serene and in his right mind.

This experience fills me with hope. After all, the biggest fear of my life has been my separated mate dying from alcoholism. This fear was removed from me after that experience.

I think God's "Plan A" for everybody is recovery and sobriety. But, oh, what a "plan B" !!!
Old 12-07-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
I know - why did I feel so sorry for strangers and so abhorrent of the X?!
You weren't living with the strangers, trying to love them as they did embarrassing and ridiculous and dangerous and cruel things, that's why.

I think for a lot of these people, their adoring public unintentionally becomes one huge enabling entity. The managers, agents, record companies are fine as long as the PR folks can keep them popular no matter how bad off they are.

Sad when we lose anyone to addiction.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
I got to see a different perspective on this issue a couple of months ago.

A 33 year old man, the brother in law of a close friend, was on his deathbed from alcoholism. The liver and kidneys had both failed. The BIL invited me to go to the hospital with him to visit. The dying man professed a conversion to a strong personal faith in God, and I asked him if he wanted to be baptised. As I poured the water over his head, I saw an immediate transformation take place. He lived another 4 weeks. I got to see him several times before he finally died. During that period he was serene and in his right mind.

This experience fills me with hope. After all, the biggest fear of my life has been my separated mate dying from alcoholism. This fear was removed from me after that experience.
I think God's "Plan A" for everybody is recovery and sobriety. But, oh, what a "plan B" !!!
Thanks for this. I needed to hear this today. This time of year is hard as just passed the third anniversary of my then separated AHs death from alcohol relate causes. Like others I prayed for his healing. It took me awhile to realize that in fact my prayer was answered and that he now healed, just not in the way I had thought I was praying for.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by thequest View Post
What puzzles me about celebrity drug & alcohol abuse is that they have so much at stake and also have the money to be very selective about finding a rehab facility, counseling, therapy etc yet many don't take advantage of their position in life for their own health. You'd figure even a manager or promoter who keep them straight for their own profit.

I've seen this guy's name in celebrity news too many times with words like rehab, relapse etc. Not a surprise, disappointment yes. Leaving two kids behind as well.
Nobody can keep you sober except yourself. It doesn't matter if you have a manager, or millions of dollars. If you don't want help, you don't get it. It's really sad but it's the truth. All the money in the world cannot buy sobriety.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulMe View Post
Thanks for this. I needed to hear this today. This time of year is hard as just passed the third anniversary of my then separated AHs death from alcohol relate causes. Like others I prayed for his healing. It took me awhile to realize that in fact my prayer was answered and that he now healed, just not in the way I had thought I was praying for.
Thanks for sharing, Peaceful. This man has touched MANY lives in death. I believe he is another prayer partner for me now.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Did you guys see the letter from his kids? Don't Glorify This Tragedy - It was very relatable for me.

Scott Weiland's Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy' | Rolling Stone
Old 12-08-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was actually going to post the same link as Stung. This letter is the 1st thing I read this morning and I cried like a baby. It really hit home.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Awesome letter, I'm so glad that in her grief and loss she wrote it.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I posted the link to the open letter from his ex-wife on my FB page today. It was very, very powerful.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yep - dang. Felt every word.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I too read Mary Forsberg Weiland's letter in Rolling Stone, and should have stopped there instead of continuing on through the comment section. Ugh. Feeling very angry and sad and just plain icky. (I should KNOW better than that by now! Don't feed --or read-- the trolls.)
Old 12-08-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Oh Andrea...I quit reading internet comments ages ago, for exactly that reason! ((HUGS))