Notices

Eating

Old 12-03-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eating

Over my alcoholic years I've learned to not eat. Usually bc I was so nauseous in the morning, then trying to catch up on work so no lunch, and by dinner time I am having stomach pains and withdrawals. So how did you force yourself to eat again? I've been trying to force down noodles telling myself anything is better than nothing. I make a protein shake in the morning but when does his fade?

I got raging drunk last night with some college friends I hadn't seen in 15 years. My sides hurt from my kidney and liver what is wrong with me??
Old 12-03-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

What's wrong with you? You drank too much. When are you going to put a stop to that?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Yeah I never ate when I would binge drink as well. Once I quit I got my appetite back, over the first few months I gained a bunch of weight because I always seemed hungry. Eventually I evened out and started eating normally. My weight is coming back to normal now.

First thing you gotta do is stop drinking now!
Old 12-03-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you ready to stop and stay stopped yet?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't eat either.
Stop drinking!! Xoxo
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't eat either and lost too much weight.

As soon as I stopped drinking, my appetite returned immediately.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't eat and didn't enjoy food when I drank either.

I concur with all of the above. Please stop drinking.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I know my not eating properly along with my drinking caused health problems which luckily were solved by quitting drinking.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am struggling with stopping. I say oh Ive only been drinking for 2 years, its not THAT bad. But it is. I am going to try AA, go to meetings. I spend a lot of $$ on a personal trainer, on a therapist & all for what? Nothing.
And yeah I lost weight at first but now my body is in full shutdown/starvation mode. so all the working out isn't helping if I dont eat. I just hate eating. Maybe bc I dont taste anything.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julesonya View Post
And yeah I lost weight at first but now my body is in full shutdown/starvation mode. so all the working out isn't helping if I dont eat. I just hate eating. Maybe bc I dont taste anything.
Yeah, drinking will do that to you.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can't eat and your body is in starvation mode....

.... But you aren't sure there's a problem?

I think you know the answer.

When I was drinking, the booze filled my belly, or I was nauseous, or I'd forget to eat, or I was withdrawing so I couldn't keep much down... It's a vicious cycle.

Food is good, booze bad. If you are at the not eating stage of alcoholism, booze and you don't get along. Kick it to the curb. Your appetite will return. You might eat everything in site for awhile, and that's ok.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I quit, sometimes I was ravenous and sometimes naseous - either way things got back to normal in a few days

I hope you're ready for a turning point Julesonya

D
Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you!!i know will like food again, it's just so hard right now
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi Julesonya......if you know that your drinking is the problem why do you continue to drink and focus on personal training and the gym? Isn't that kind of like moving the deck chairs around on the titanic?
We all know how difficult quitting is but what those that have quit successfully are telling you is that the eating issue was resolved either days, weeks or worst case a few months after they quit.
So lets just focus on quitting drinking and not going back and my guess is the eating issue will be resolved before you even realize it
Old 12-03-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you're serious about getting well, then maybe check into a doctor and get them to check you over.

I'd suggest staying sober (one day at a time) and getting along to some AA meetings (shop around them til you find some that you're comfortable with).

Keeping your blood sugar levels up will help you stay sober - I made the mistake of reaching for sugary food too much though, and this made my already wobbly emotions crash and bash around all over the place. Food with natural sugars as well as fibre will help keep things more moderated as its a slower, steadier release.

If you've not been eating much I don't suppose big meals are going to appeal to you - maybe little and often would be best - healthy, healing and comforting home-made soups perhaps (if you can find the motivation to make a few).

Good luck - please try to take care of yourself, but also let others help you. When you are better, then you can help others, so it's not a weakness.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
now's the time

Hi Jules,

My stomach was really affected by my drinking too. I barely ate, except nibbling, because I'd be so nauseated almost constantly. By the end I would sometimes go days without eating more than something random right in that window after I'd had enough for withdrawal to die done but not so much that my blood sugar was way up and I felt full.

About 3 days after I quit I started feeling hungry again, although I still didn't enjoy eating.

About 1 week sober, I finally had a meal that I wanted, that I enjoyed, and that I was able to eat enough of that I felt nourished. I cried. It was the most life-affirming feeling. I felt that I could see a way out, and at the same time I understood how far gone I was.

It's worth it. You can do this. I'm at 4 and a half months now. Sometimes my stomach is still a little sensitive, but overall, I love food in a way I can't remember since I was a kid probably. It feels so wonderful not to be at war with my body anymore.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Things for me adjusted naturally, eating, sleeping etc

But that's not the priority right now, dealing with the drinking is the first step on the ladder.

You can do this Julesonya!!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

What's your plan to stop drinking Jules

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 12-04-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One day at a time. Actually one hour at a time. I'm in so much pain right now. I've done addiction counseling but it's expensive so I'm going to start AA
Old 12-04-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Although I have drank three times over the last couple of months since "I quit", I gained 10 pounds over the same period of time because I am finding myself wanted to snack on stuff between meals and especially after work. I never snacked when I was drinking and sometimes even pushed dinner back late and didn't eat much.