Notices

Question:

Old 09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just another Addict

Question:

What do sober drunks do for fun? This has always been tough for me in recovery. Everything I did I was drunk. Any ideas? :banghead:
Old 09-10-2004, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brown Eyes,

When I was drinking, I thought that was all that mattered and my world became smaller and smaller because everything revolved around drinking. I was afraid to stop drinking because I thought life would be unbearable. But, it's just the opposite. My life when I was drinking, was just drinking. When I stopped drinking I began to do all kinds of things that I had done before. I started reading a lot, going to concerts, hiking, all kinds of things. I found that I really like to be myself and I don't socialize much anymore and quite like it that way. You'll be surprised what you find to do.

Love, Anna
Old 09-10-2004, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You live is what you do.
You learn to be happy.
You learn to not be sick all the time.

I'm in the same boat you are browneyes....I keep getting deeper into this.

I wish you all the best on your recovery, especially with a child, you don't want the regrets that will come with this later on, they can almost kill you the guilt of it. I know, my kids are grown now, and it's something I have to face on a daily basic.

Hugs....Denise
Old 09-10-2004, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You do all the things you used to enjoy, fishing, bike rides, walks in nature, making love, even dancing eventually. Only now you can remember, and in time you will prefer to do these things sober, and appreciate them more. Sometimes we have to go as far back as our childhood to remember the things we enjoyed clean and sober.

Have fun, and enjoy
congrats on your clean time
Old 09-10-2004, 11:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Browneyes,

I'm slowly learning to do fun things sober too =). My biggest indulgence is reading. It immediately takes you into another world, and is quite relaxing.

Lonlion: DANCING?!?!?!? Oh god, the thought of dancing sober makes me want to crawl under my desk. Oh, the shame.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My question too. What to do, No computer @ home, no family in town this weekend.
ALL I did for the last year on Coke/Crack was get high with "friends/boyfriend". NOW what do I do, and still avoid the old people and dealers? Day 10, sure want to tell you all on Monday that I stayed straight this weekend. Suggestions????
Old 09-10-2004, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ZOO!!! Anytime that I can't think of anything to do I go to the zoo. Memberships tend to be pretty inexpensive and work at more than one zoo. Good Luck guys I know you can make it through the weekend!! Heck you can probably get online at the library and come here if you get really bored.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here you go Don S started this thread, you need to read it, I did before and it helped, so back I go to reading it again. Wishing you all the best on your sobriety, lordy what a mess this is.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ad.php?t=27181
Old 09-10-2004, 11:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Browneyes, I also have brown eyes, and right now they have tears in them, your posts are ME, and I recently did a test seeing where I am in this ugly addiction and it said LATE STAGE....scarey I tell you, I wonder what the next stage is, TO LATE STAGE I'm betting.

If you want to PM me, feel free, I have lots to say if you want to listen, I might not get back to you right at this moment, but I promise you I will. Wish I could talk to you also, I have *****, maybe one time we can. Maybe you hearing me would make a difference.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!
CHASE YOUR DREAMS.GODSPEED............ted
Old 09-10-2004, 11:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just another Addict

Are you feeling better? I myself am a recovering junky. 8yrs. Do you have a higher power? If so I would suggest praying. He will hold your hand through all of this. I had to give my drug addiction over to God. I couldn't do it anymore. I was afraid it was going to kill me. Something had to change and the drug wasn't. Just hang in there. You will make it till Monday. Like I said pray about it. Makes a world of difference. Now I'm off to tackle the alcohol. I tell you with an addictive personality, if it's not one thing it is another. LOL But once I got off the dope I can honestly say I will never go back! I hope you feel the same way. You don't want to see them drug dealers this weekend. What give them your...your....your.....10 days? I don't think so. Put em out of business where they should be. God bless you......stay strong. Get er done! You can do it! Do you rent movies? We just saw the "Passion" I thougt it was great.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((((((((BrownEyes ))))))))
Question:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do sober drunks do for fun? This has always been tough for me in recovery. Everything I did I was drunk. Any ideas?
LOTS!!!!!! Playing tennis these days, fishing, camping, walking/hiking, walking the rivers, the ocean beach, taking photos just about everywhere I go, farting around online, reading, writing, eating food(what a concept for a drunk who's idea of a good meal at one time was nacho's), visiting with friends, going to the movies, dancing(even though I've been told I suck), gardening, and the list goes on infinitum.....

I too had not done many fun things those last years of my drinking, but found the fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous a great beginning to commence jump-starting my isolationISM. OPPSS a couple chores to attend to so I can go have fun before heading to a Prison meeting which itself has become quite FUN for me in my Recovery.

It sure beats the heck out of the way it was for me -
The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew
from society, from life itself. As we became subjects
of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm,
the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It
thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought
out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship
and approval. Momentarily we did -- then
would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face
the hideous Four Horsemen -- Terror, Bewilderment,
Frustration, Despair. Unhappy drinkers who read this
page will understand! - Alcoholics Anonyous p. 151

(((((((((((BrownEyes)))))))))
Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service,
Three Legs
:tri
Old 09-10-2004, 12:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi BrownEyes,
That's a good question. I added up all the time I spent buying alcohol, sneaking around with it, sitting around drinking it, coupled with all the time I spent hungover from it and that added up to an ungodly amount of hours that I now have free. I used to fret about that too. But after I got used to having so much free sober time, I realized THIS is normal. The other way was abnormal. So whether you sit around twiddling your fingers or do something active...the time is yours and is not being robbed from you by the nasty creature alcohol. I think that's so cool that I twiddle my thumbs often just to remind myself that it's okay.
Sandy
Old 09-10-2004, 12:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Just another Addict

Originally Posted by Sandy Marie
Hi BrownEyes,
That's a good question. I added up all the time I spent buying alcohol, sneaking around with it, sitting around drinking it, coupled with all the time I spent hungover from it and that added up to an ungodly amount of hours that I now have free. I used to fret about that too. But after I got used to having so much free sober time, I realized THIS is normal. The other way was abnormal. So whether you sit around twiddling your fingers or do something active...the time is yours and is not being robbed from you by the nasty creature alcohol. I think that's so cool that I twiddle my thumbs often just to remind myself that it's okay.
Sandy

Thanks,
Being a drunk I would not do anything that I couldn't do with alcohol. There are things I love to do still........Like out on the boat kicking the old mans ass at fishing.......But always did it drunk. Will I be able to go back out on the boat without the alcohol? I just feel like life is testing me right now. I guess I am getting out of today. Even when I do drink my husband and I still look at each other (with dumb look on our face) what do we do? I guess I have isolated myself from the world due to my alcoholism. Something I need to learn.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((((BrownEyes)))) ((((justme2))))

BrownEyes, watch out for fishing, and other slippery spots -- I still can't go in the pool or grill, b/c of the triggers--both of which I always did drunk or drinking. (((justme2))) hang in there, keep coming back -- one day at a time.

For me, AA meetings are a great part of substitution for drinking, it's one hour I know I can share and be understood by other drunks like me.

I also started training again, this time taking it "one day at a time," slowly and so I don't injure or stress myself. I am riding my bike 3-4X a week, walking or hiking 3-4X a week. Once my bodyfat is down to my goal, walking will become run/walking and eventually running. I will add swimming in along the way and finally be sober enough to race next year (triathlons). I also just signed up to volunteer at Ironman Arizona in April. Let's see, sex is also possible now b/c I'm not so damned drunk every night (notice I said possible, as opposed to happening ). I'm sure there will be more fun coming, but I am still working through emotions, etc. that come early in sobriety. Oh yeah, going to the driving range this weekend too, and will begin work on my 4th step inventory.

Great book to pick up is "Living Sober," hell, I have no idea how to do that! Even though I 'only drank at night,' I certainly was far from sober the next day after....

Keep on keeping on both of you!

Ken

Last edited by NoMoBeer; 09-10-2004 at 01:17 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 09-10-2004, 01:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Castaway

Will I be able to go back out on the boat without the alcohol?
I know BrownEyes,
I've never gone anywhere it seems without a drink in my hand or close by. I now keep a supply of bottled water close by so I have something to grab when my hands feel empty. I KNOW that you feel you've lost that excited, uninhibited part of you that drinking brings out. Now you feel like a turtle with legs and head pulled in tight. You WILL go fishing again without alcohol and when you're sitting there reeling in the big ones you won't be thinking about anything except how much better you feel for NOT drinking alcohol. You'll be patting yourself on the back for making the right choice. And that's just ONE benefit from not drinking and boating. You can do it in time. Patience and lots of thumb twiddling will help.
Sandy
Old 09-10-2004, 01:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sept. 10...

September 10...

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

A.A. Thought For The Day

Here are answers to the question of how a person can live without
liquor and be happy
: "The things we put in place of drinking are more
than substitutes for it. One is the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.
In this company, you find release from care, boredom, and worry. Your
imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The
most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Among other
A.A.s you will make lifelong friends. You will be bound to them with
new and wonderful ties." Does life mean something to me now?
Old 09-10-2004, 02:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Everything I did drinking I can do sober, and you know what, I enjoy it more, appreciate it more, and the remembering part of it is also a bonus!

NMB, I too started running, working out, and am bound and determined now to do a race next year. I have always exercised to some point, and mostly hung over, but I have never ran, and it took me awhile to like, I just hope to keep at it.

I have always been an active person, but the drink always went along with it. I love to golf, play softball, walk, camp, bowl, fish, bonfires. It takes a bit to get used to doing it sober, but you do get over that hump when it is a struggle to actually enjoying
Old 09-11-2004, 03:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Lisa

I just recently joined the body for life challenge with a girlfriend of mine. It's a great program if you're just getting into working out and getting fit, and it's been a good distraction for me. I spend a lot of time on the meal planning and preperation. I've been sticking with activities that don't remind me of partying, like reading. If anyone gets really bored I have a house that desperatly needs repainting!
Old 09-11-2004, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Just another Addict

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
One is the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.
I have tried AA numerous times. I wished it worked for me like it does for so many others. But what I see in my local AA are people who have traded their dependency on alcohol for a dependency on talking about alcohol. Some are many years sober and yet they still can't seem to get past the subject as a whole. I understand that they are better off to talk about than consume. I actually fear becoming like those people in my local AA. Is this some sort of excuse that I have created? I don't think it is. I have not lost my marriage, house, car, etc... like many of these people have. But after years of sobriety they are still challenged to accomplish even the most basic functions in life (albeit they are sober now). Perhaps I have not reached what they call "rock bottom" but then again why should I have to? Alcohol is a major problem in my life regardless of what it has taken from me.