Notices

AA: Is it a source of religion for you?

Old 12-03-2015, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA: Is it a source of religion for you?

Hi all,
so my November hasn't been as strong as I intended - no massive messups, but no success either - I've had drinks last Friday and a week before that as well. Apparently I'm not as serious as I thought. Anyway, I knew it was time i went to AA. I went to an open speaker meeting last night... small, the only other young person was the speaker... Everyone was friendly enough, but the one thing I noticed was the amount of prayer, mention of God, etc. I know that people often need to call on a higher power, but I'm agnostic, and I don't see myself praying or changing my beliefs through this process. Is that bad? Am I the only one? I was just curious. People referred me to the Big Book or 12 steps, but I don't feel very comfortable with all of the ties to religion it had... I suppose I just keep an open mind about it?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NO.

I am not religious.

AA has been a source of support, a pillar of my sobriety, has contributed some interesting and valuable facets of my personal spirituality....

But not religion.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

and yes....

just keep an open mind about it.

also, for your reference....

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt4.pdf

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 12-03-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"The God Thing" was my own excuse for many years.

I was ordered to go to AA back in 2004. I used "The God Thing" and "I'm not like THOSE people" as a reason to allow my drinking and the associated consequences to worsen for another nine years.

Then I returned to AA willingly and with an open mind to see how a proven, successful, free, widely-available program might help me honor my commitment to live life fully.

When I stopped looking for reasons AA wouldn't work for me and started looking for things within AA that WOULD.... everything changed.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Try AVRT or smart recovery.
No religion in either
Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not saying I'm not willing to go because of it. I just wondered if I was in the same position as some people. That not everyone who followed the program felt the need to turn to religion. People were giving me phone numbers and booklets. The emotional support seemed pretty strong
Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Half of the first 100 members of AA were agnostic/atheist. Please don't let all the God stuff throw you. I wasted a decade because I let it throw me.

If you believe there's something--a power, an energy, whatever you believe that makes the sun come up in the morning, then just go with that. Or you can think of the program itself as a higher power. Ask yourself: were you able to quit drinking on your own? Were any other humans (family members, friends, therapists, etc) able to get you to quit drinking? Were threats to your health, your marriage, your job, your home, enough to get you to quit drinking? When I realized that the answer to those questions were "no", I as able to open my mind to the thought of some sort of higher power.

AA is not a religion, and so to answer your question, NO, AA is not a source of religion for me. I don't follow a religion anymore. What AA is for me is a spiritual program that led me to recover from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. It saved my life.

My first sponsor said something that really helped me: she said to lay aside for now all of my beliefs about God. And something else I was told in program and by my therapist was "don't have contempt prior to investigation. You can evaluate afterward."

A spiritual program is very different than a religious program. People in AA believe in anything they want to believe, and it's not our business, whereas people following a certain religion believe in a specific God according to that religion.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

AA may work for you and it might not soulpower. If you find that the meetings help then go, if not then find another method, there are many. It's absolutely possible to work the steps and be part of the program without being a "religious" person.

I'd remind others of the main premise of the Newcomers Forum:

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soulpower89 View Post
I'm not saying I'm not willing to go because of it. I just wondered if I was in the same position as some people. That not everyone who followed the program felt the need to turn to religion. People were giving me phone numbers and booklets. The emotional support seemed pretty strong

You don't have to believe anything you don't want to. You may change your mind later about a "higher power" or maybe you won't.
In any case it's all good.

Check out different meetings and find a few you feel comfortable sharing your concerns
Old 12-03-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

AA helped me separate religion from spirituality. We have a few around here that seem to want to convert everyone to their religion of choice but the majority are live and let live. I used the Universe and nature as a higher power when I started and it has served me well.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the one thing I noticed was the amount of prayer
Most meetings have one (simple) prayer at the end of the meeting.
Often I leave the meeting right before the prayer.
Why ?
Because many there are praying to different gods
that would be gods spelled with a small g.

MB
Old 12-03-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AA includes prayer.... but that's one of the parts you can either use or simply choose not to use.

If we look at AA and other programs and support avenues as part of an overall 'toolkit' for sobriety, we can begin to pull together a personalized program that does work for us.

There are AA old-timers who will insist you can't do that. But I have done it. I've known many who have done it.

Recovery IS a personal path. We are human beings. We are not one-size-fits-all.

I believe that AA has much to offer anyone who truly wishes to live in sobriety and who is open-minded enough to simply go at it with the attitude "I am going to honestly give this a chance to work in my life".

Old 12-03-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I just wanted to chime in and say that my post is just from my experience. I respect any and all other forms of recovery. For me, I found AA worked when other stuff didn't. I guess that's why I'm so passionate about it. I know it doesn't work for all, and that there are other methods people like. Welcome to SR, and I hope you find a recovery program that works for you.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post
If you believe there's something--a power, an energy, whatever you believe that makes the sun come up in the morning, then just go with that.
Bingo.

And I would imagine that with a name like "soulpower" - you have some form of a spirituality. Just use that. However you define it.

Give it your own name and every time you hear "God" in AA, sub in the name of your thing.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I use the AA program of recovery taught
to me to help me each day to stay on course
with my own recovery from my addiction
to alcohol.

My Faith in a Higher Power, God of my
understanding was taught to me as a
child and from my Catholic up bring.

I incorporate both into my everyday
life to achieve, health, happiness and
honesty. A good solid foundation to
live my life upon on a daily bases.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The founder of AA Bill W was an agnostic. Maybe read his story in the book and then the chapter to the agnostic - these have helped many with an understanding of a higher power of sorts/A god of their understanding.

Many who are agnostics/atheists are in the fellowship and have years of sobriety.

Good for you on going!
Keep coming back......
Old 12-03-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wink

Hi there soulpower..
AA is just a Group of people who became Addicted to Alcohol..
it is also a group of people who would not normally mix together.
it has Individuals of Many Different schools of thought on Religion..
However, AA itself is NOT a "Religion" at all.. more of a "support group"
many people start out.. using G.O.D. as group of drunks.. as their own personal Higher Power..
Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Give it your own name and every time you hear "God" in AA, sub in the name of your thing.
That is a great idea!! I've heard it mentioned that if you use the big book for another addiction, to substitute the word alcohol for the other substance/behavior. I hadn't heard this idea to substitute the word "God" for your own version of Higher Power. Thanks for sharing that. :-)
Old 12-03-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

welp, beings how theres a chapter in the big book titled, "we agnostics"
id have to say theres quite a few who have been in your shoes.
ya might want to read that chapter.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I first looked into AA and the 12 steps, I discovered through online searches that there are many Agnostic/Secular rewordings of the 12 steps out there that can fit a whole range of beliefs.

Sobriety is all about what works for us, the goal here is Sobriety, and if you need to tweak things a bit to make it happen then go for it!!