Notices

vent: country music

Old 12-02-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

vent: country music

So I was born an raised in Southern east cost USA and I used to LOVE to listen to country music. Especially in my college days. I turned to a country station tonight while on a long road trip and it seemed like every other song was about "drankin " and how everything's more fun with beer or whiskey. That is not what I wanted to hear at all so I changed the station but I am sad that this is another thing it seems that my alcoholism has taken. I can't even enjoy the music I used to like. Honestly, the rational me understands that there are country songs about other things and that in the big scheme this is a small thing but it really just made me angry tonight, for whatever reason.

I'm coming up on 5 months sober so I know its still early days for me but just wanted to vent.

Thankfully, I have no urge to drink. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know that feeling Kamm, I felt so raw the first time I watched a movie with lots of drinking.
I get pretty sore at songs that glorify drinking too. It helps to remember they also tend to dredge up a lot of drama and heartache in those songs...I bet someday you can turn on that station and not care what THEY say about drankin, and just enjoy the tunes
Congrats on almost 5 months!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kamm View Post
So I was born an raised in Southern east cost USA and I used to LOVE to listen to country music. Especially in my college days. I turned to a country station tonight while on a long road trip and it seemed like every other song was about "drankin " and how everything's more fun with beer or whiskey. That is not what I wanted to hear at all so I changed the station but I am sad that this is another thing it seems that my alcoholism has taken. I can't even enjoy the music I used to like. Honestly, the rational me understands that there are country songs about other things and that in the big scheme this is a small thing but it really just made me angry tonight, for whatever reason.

I'm coming up on 5 months sober so I know its still early days for me but just wanted to vent.

Thankfully, I have no urge to drink. Thanks for listening.
Seems like drinkin' parting. going to bars and picking up someone is the common theme of today's country music. Of course broken hearts, broken relationships and divorce, etc. has always been a theme..

I don't like it is glamorized and lifted up as being the 'answer' to 'having a good time...'

You could always switch over the bluegrass in which you'll hear a lot of morbid things such as murder, death, and other mournful things.. They do have drinking songs in bluegrass, but for some reason they like to sing about death more.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a blues guy and a lot of blues is like that too...

Mind you I've never killed my woman or made a deal with the devil at a crossroads either, so I let the drinking references pass me by now

D
Old 12-02-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I love music all music I like rap music for instance but I hardly agree with anything said not unless it's Big pun, Em, Big or Pac & even then I don't agree with what's getting said most of the time I like the music for what it is Music

I also like film track music & there's no words most of the time

Even now I'm listening to butterfly by crazy town I love this song