Frustration turned to fear

Old 11-30-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Frustration turned to fear

It has been a few months since I have been on this forum. So much has happened. My AS has been in and out of in patient treatment and has done 45 days in jail since my last post. Her husband left her, adult kids left and won't speak to her. She is very alone, and living in complete despair. She has our parents and my family. I get constant messages of her wanting to take her life. None of us are sleeping....it is a complete nightmare. I feel lost and hopeless.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm sorry you're all going through this.

If she's threatening suicide, call 911. They will take her to a crisis center to be evaluated.

Has she ever been evaluated for dual diagnosis (e.g., depression or bipolar disorder in addition to alcoholism)? It could be that she has more problems than just her addiction.

Are you and your family going to Al-Anon or getting other support for yourselves?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first thing you need to do is accept that you are not equipped to handle this situation, and that there are professionals who are. Your sister is in crisis. As Lexie said, the next time she threatens suicide, you must call 911.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I cannot imagine your pain and anxiety. Many, many tight hugs to you! I second what Lexie said, call 911, better to be safe!
Old 11-30-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been in that situation before with a dearly loved one.

I'd never go through the same again as the stress, fears and constant horrific images nearly made me feel the same as her.

It affectedly me so badly after a period of time that I truly started to feel the only way away from this person I couldn't help nor get away from (scared of consequences) that I felt "self-harmy". Never felt that in my life...and I ain't a young pup.

I wish I had the strength to go back in time and do it all over again. I'd of said "you are going to a hospital NOW. If you don't, I'm done. DONE."
And not of ever answer another call or email again.

As it was....I'm still in therapy weekly years later. Still have some intrusive thoughts and memories. How I wish I saved myself....how I wish I had put myself and my family first. Things might of turned out a heluva lot better.
As it is, I'm the one who made it out alive. All the listening and playing therapist ...all the being scared out of my mind did nothing.
All the love in my heart did nothing.

So many regrets.
Please take the above poster's words as the best suggestions you could get. I know it's hard but honestly? It's not nearly as difficult once you make the step. Involve other family members or outside help for support.
Keep posting...that helps too.