Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

ugh...he has gone back to his alcoholic ex. Will it hurt his chances of recovery?

ugh...he has gone back to his alcoholic ex. Will it hurt his chances of recovery?

Old 11-28-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My friend has been recently released from incarceration after 2 1/2 years. He took substance abuse classes prior to getting out. So far, he's doing good at least from my observation. He's thinking of rekindling his relationship with his alcoholic ex-gf. When he was with her, his drug use spiraled out of control stealing thousands of dollars from her & cheated on her with several women.

The shocker is the ex-gf left her husband soon after her ex was released and now trying to rekindle their relationship. He claims to have his act together and make things right with her. I'm happy for him and wish them the best. I just hope he's not playing games with her heart just looking for a place to stay and getting laid. Then goes back to using drugs again. Currently, he's living with his mom.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It certainly doesn't sound like a good situation. Recovery is more than just not drinking or using. It involves making healthy changes that reflect our determination to live a sober life. Going back to an active addict isn't exactly a healthy choice.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Sarah...

This sounds like a clusterf*ck in the making. And if it does indeed turn out that way, be thankful that this is not your problem unless you opt to make it your problem.

Whatever is supposed to happen will happen. Hope for the best, and live your life the best you can.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
Sarah...

This sounds like a clusterf*ck in the making. And if it does indeed turn out that way, be thankful that this is not your problem unless you opt to make it your problem.

Whatever is supposed to happen will happen. Hope for the best, and live your life the best you can.
My plan is to stay out of it. They're grown adults. Being nosey in their choices to be together will only cause problems
Old 11-28-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you say you plan to stay out of it, but just happen to know all the details....your last post was about whether or not you should buy him a phone when he gets out, because you felt he NEEDED it to look for work etc. as it is, he made a beeline for someone one else.....someone from his past.

is it maybe possible that it is time to demote this champ from FRIEND to someone you used to know?????
Old 11-28-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
you say you plan to stay out of it, but just happen to know all the details....your last post was about whether or not you should buy him a phone when he gets out, because you felt he NEEDED it to look for work etc. as it is, he made a beeline for someone one else.....someone from his past.

is it maybe possible that it is time to demote this champ from FRIEND to someone you used to know?????

I didn't end up buying him a phone. His mom did. Yes, I kept in contact with him once he got out. Now that he appears to be back on his feet and doing good, I probably won't hear much from him anymore. He already found a job and starts this Monday. His ex is a family friend of mine