Notices

My $.02

Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Introspectator

My $.02

New to recovery, on day 12. I just wanted to throw out my $.02.
I just read and really like the secular steps. Not because I am agnostic or an atheist, because I am not, but because I have found that, it's all our responsibility, it falls on me so to speak.
Briefly, I have been through the religious experiences in American Christianity, and I still consider myself a Christian, but not in the American sense of the word. I've been through the "alcohol is damning in Gods eyes" to the realization that it is not, when I came out the other side. Anyway, I am hesitant in the AA religious format, not because I "don't believe" in help "from above," but because it leaves me a way out, so to speak, a way of placing the responsibility elsewhere, instead of myself.
If it works for someone, then more power to them. I have no issue with atheist or agnostic folks, we are all in this alcoholic battle together.
So, just wanted to thank atheist and agnostic folks for a different and helpful set of steps. I will be frequenting your forum as well.
Be well, be sober my friends.

Introspectator
Old 12-10-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The AA is being demonised about religious? Bill Wilson had to change the tenets of the Oxford Group as it was not open to all,A God of Your Understanding,which I have and I'm spiritual not religious,I personally love the AA and what the programme has done for me,but hey if your sober that's fantastic keep strong ❤️
Old 12-12-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Introspectator

Originally Posted by Serenity A View Post
The AA is being demonised about religious? Bill Wilson had to change the tenets of the Oxford Group as it was not open to all,A God of Your Understanding,which I have and I'm spiritual not religious,I personally love the AA and what the programme has done for me,but hey if your sober that's fantastic keep strong ❤️
I'm sorry, I'm not understanding what you are saying fully...
Introspectator
Old 12-12-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If it's working for you, then brilliant. I certainly wouldn't say I'm religious but one thing I'm learning from AA is to stop trying to "run the show". I can control my own actions, but not those of others and that's been pretty liberating for me.