Notices

Back To Curly

Old 11-22-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back To Curly

As a child growing up until the past year I never knew the texture of my hair, due to having straightening chemicals applied from a young age. It was one of those things I never thought about. It was understood in my culture that if you didn't have what was considered "good hair," you should alter it. I found later that part of learning to love and accept myself was to know who I am. As months went by I cut a little of the straightened hair off until a year later I was presented with my real hair...curly! Hence the name CurlyGirl.
That was just a small symbol of how important it was for me to discover who I am, unaltered. I'm not against straightening hair, it's just what my personal journey consisted of.

After that, then it came time to discover who I am without alcohol. My first couple of times trying to quit I was angry and felt that I became a boring person. A person who lacked energy and vibrancy. I felt uncomfortable in my own skin. I could no longer rely on the effects of alcohol to make me a social flower. I went back to what seemed to make me "the person to be around," alcohol. What's funny is the friends I thought I was making during my alcohol abuse have all been run off by my behavior. This last whack at sobriety is a real treat as I am learning about myself, what makes me laugh like a child, what I detest, what my goals are, what kind of friends I attract, what my boundaries are, all kinds of stuff. I am embracing this new person, and I'm noticing that I have become a person that people like to be around by just being me.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great story! Thank you.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Such a beautiful post Curly!
Old 11-22-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's all about being authentic!
Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post, Curly. Finding the real me and feeling comfortable in my own skin has been the biggest struggle for me in sobriety. It is definitely a journey. At 4 months sober, I'm finally starting to feel better about who I am as a sober person.

Sounds like you're doing great, Curly. Happy for you!

Dlfin
Old 11-23-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you Curlygirl!
Old 11-23-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well...my head shape looks better than the pepper color and receding hairline so I did what Bruce Willis did (except mature, make a lot of money and divorce when it was clear it weren't working). Congrats CG!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm a curly girl, too. I spent years using straightening irons. Nice to enjoy what we've got rather than to try to fit in.

Love to all those curly girls out there!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you, CurlyGirl! I too am a wavy/curly girl and can remember my mother and stepmother trying to "fix" my hair growing up. It was called "messy" and "unruly." My mom even made fun of it. When I was in high school, my last year, I decided to stop straightening, and just let it go ... people were pretty astounded at the result. I got some compliments for the first time! Hair seems to always look better in its natural state So, today, in my 30's I don't color it, and I mostly wear it curly.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi CG - know what you mean. I have always, since early teens worn heavy make-up, and had a very specific 'style' which I felt was 'me' and that I needed to keep it maintained. At times pretty much else in my life had slipped (or subsided) but right to the end I still made sure that I was in full camouflage (make-up) and not a (dyed) hair out of place.
Since getting sober and embarking on my journey of recovery I have realised that this is what I DID - not who I was / am. My hair and make up is now much more subdued and natural. Occasionally people will say they 'miss' seeing me dressed up, but I no longer feel that I own it to anyone to look any particular way. I am who I am, and I'll look how I look. There's more important things to worry about in my day now And I'm much happier for it.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so glad that many of you could relate whether it was hair, makeup, or simply being expected to be someone you're not. I believe the more self discovery you embark, the more self appreciation you'll develop, and the more fulfilling your life will be!
Old 11-25-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by CurlyGirl1978 View Post
As a child growing up until the past year I never knew the texture of my hair, due to having straightening chemicals applied from a young age. It was one of those things I never thought about. It was understood in my culture that if you didn't have what was considered "good hair," you should alter it. I found later that part of learning to love and accept myself was to know who I am. As months went by I cut a little of the straightened hair off until a year later I was presented with my real hair...curly! Hence the name CurlyGirl.
That was just a small symbol of how important it was for me to discover who I am, unaltered. I'm not against straightening hair, it's just what my personal journey consisted of.

After that, then it came time to discover who I am without alcohol. My first couple of times trying to quit I was angry and felt that I became a boring person. A person who lacked energy and vibrancy. I felt uncomfortable in my own skin. I could no longer rely on the effects of alcohol to make me a social flower. I went back to what seemed to make me "the person to be around," alcohol. What's funny is the friends I thought I was making during my alcohol abuse have all been run off by my behavior. This last whack at sobriety is a real treat as I am learning about myself, what makes me laugh like a child, what I detest, what my goals are, what kind of friends I attract, what my boundaries are, all kinds of stuff. I am embracing this new person, and I'm noticing that I have become a person that people like to be around by just being me.
I love your posts
Old 11-26-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aw, thank you Soberwolf!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a great day CG XO