Bad Dreams

Old 09-09-2004, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Bad Dreams

It seems that I have been suffering from bad dreams now for most of my adult life. My dad died almost a year ago today and the dreams have actually got more frequent and worse/weirder!

My dreams involve my dads drinking mostly and how frightened I felt about it. How scared I felt for my mom when he drank. How I had to go to my brothers house or a bedsit to get away from it so many times.

Another wierd thing that has started happening in my dreams is, Im having weird dreams about my grandmother (who i loved very much and was very close too as a child... she died when i was 15) - dreams where she is still alive but doesnt want to know me. (the complete opposite to what it was like) and I also keep having weird dreams about me and my partner arguing and splitting up. (Even though in reality we have never argued! And we adore each other. Shes everything to me.) I just cant understand why these dreams are causing me so much pain right now. To the point where Im scared to go to sleep at night.

Anyone else had a similiar problem?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Lynx,
Maybe your dreams are indicating that counseling may be necessary for you to come to terms with your personal relationship with your father. Maybe if you can make peace with your memory of him, the nightmares will subside.
You know that you had nothing to do with his drinking binges. He probably didn't even know what he was doing because alcohol becomes the master after years of abuse. I just pray that you are staying clean and taking care of yourself. Let us know how you're doing.
Sandy
Old 09-11-2004, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks for the response. I am teetotal. Dont smoke or drink. I guess I learnt young that it really ruins your life and the people around you. I'm just having a hard time because of having lived with him for so long like that, it still haunts me. I have had some councilling when he died, but stopped going because of my anxiety getting worse. When I am more settled I will think about going again.