Notices

It's going to feel so odd not to drink on a Friday night

Old 11-20-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's going to feel so odd not to drink on a Friday night

I always loved Friday nights. It's a night to kick back and drink wine. Unfortunately, the days when I used to "kick back" and have a glass of wine has turned into drinking at least a whole bottle.

I'm already mourning not having that bottle tonight and it's only 10:00 a.m. here. But I do have to say, I loved the way I felt when I woke up this morning. I felt normal.

I guess this is my plan for the "witching hour" which will kick in about 4:00 p.m.: I'm going for a long walk while listening to a podcast of "The Bubble Hour." Drink a cup of coffee when I get back and then cook an easy dinner. If I have any energy, I'd like to get some work done, but if not, I'm going to go to bed to read and watch Netflix.

Once 7:00 p.m. comes, the witching hour should be about over and, hopefully, I'll have a Friday evening sober under my belt.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A meal is a good way to get through early days cravings. Your desire to drink will be greatly reduced by eating. Yeah, Fridays can be difficult at first since drinkers are "hard wired" to pull out the stops on Fridays. Don't forget to add "reading on SR" to your list of tools to get through.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello! Exercise and food are always good alternatives. I have a witching hour as well. I have found that the longer I replace that habit of drinking during this time the more I reinforce new behaviors.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

One thing I have used is thinking of all the things I will enjoy better on a Saturday morning not hungover. Definitely helps if any cravings arise.

You got this! Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It is common in early recovery to romanticize drinking, our special drinking nights. And common to feel deprived of those special moments when we seek sobriety. I know I felt it.

I was a daily (and nightly) drinker. As went through the recovery process, I realized there was nothing "special" about being chained to the addictive cycle of HAVING to drink every night. With sobriety I was able to distinguish what is truly special about a Friday night...and it isn't being drunk. It's the blessing of being sober for it.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Jackie you can make that hopefully a proberly a certainty

You are identifying your AV which is good but time to counteract the AV do not let it fester sounds like you have taken precautions ie the podcast & the walking which will make you feel superpositive plus healthier is a great way to counter your witching hour of 4pm

Other things that will help is 2 mantras 'I don't drink' 'No matter what I will not drink'

Urge surfing will seriously when you feel the urge or compulsion to drink or even a panic attack

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Of course interacting with us on the many forums here at SR esp the weekender thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...weekender.html

Have you joined the class of November ?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

And finally a bit from my own personal experience

Friday nights in sobriety were at first tough the whole why me schick lol then as weeks turned to month & months I started to realise that I wasn't missing out but I was actually gaining, pieces of myself were coming bk I started to go cinema, we go to the theatre once in a while i started to get right bk into cuisine I love food in sobriety lol

I can't promise you every day is going to be awesome but it is what you make it and if you stay sober youl know exactly what I mean

We'll be with you the whole way tonight

Have you got a plan ? you can ask the mods here they are wise kind & friendly XO
Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you not drinking tonight, I'm going to see a play and then I'll come home and have a herbal tea or maybe just go straight to bed. With my previous 7 weeks sober I did alot of going to bed very early, it felt safe and I slept amazingly well. Good luck x
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

That oddness didn't last that long. Get through, by doing something different to change the habit, a couple of them and you'll hardly think of it again. You're doing great!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Those early day cravings are really difficult. Please know this - it isn't always like that. Those cravings do fade away over time until one day you won't remember the last time you had one.

The important thing now is to do whatever it takes to get through those cravings. Outside support can be very powerful and effective. One item in your sobriety toolkit can be a promise that if you feel in danger of caving and drinking that you won't go ahead until you've picked up the phone and talked to someone or come to SR to post for support. Sometimes even a simple non-sobriety chat with someone can refocus you when you most need it.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hi Jackie, good plan and that is exactly how we stay sober today. Do something else to occupy your body and mind.

Glad you're here, we've all been where you are - you're not alone friend.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
OX

another good plan is for saturday morning. something different to take advantage of feeling great or at least not feeling like death.. good luck and smile
Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

That's a good plan. Also SR has a recovery meeting tonight (Friday) at 7 eastern in the chat room I think.
I think it is facilitated by Lady Bug. Check out this forum for announcement and details
Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
I have attended a few of those and they are very laid back and nice. The facilitator picks a recovery topic and people share one at a time. You don't have to share if you don't want to.
Another thing you could do is join Ken's week end support thread
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...weekender.html
It s really great support for those who used to be "week end warriors"

You can do it!! you are not alone
Old 11-20-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Is your sobriety date true as of November 1st? A good solid meal always does the job with urges to drink.

Firm up your commitment to sobriety Jackie. However which way you need to do this then do it. You will be stronger because of it. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for some great tips on resources and encouragement.

No, November 1 was the first time I tried, but failed. Yesterday is the new start.

Added to my list of things to do during the witching hour are come back to SR and join in some suggested threads.

I so want to make it to Day 4. Haven't been there yet. A little disclosure:

~ I work from home. I run two websites and am building a 3rd.
~ I care for my elderly mother who never stops talking and worrying about something. I love her, she means no harm, but it's soooo hard living with her.
~ I'm in the middle of packing a home and office and moving to another town.

I will not drink. I will not drink. I will not drink.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigShoe View Post
another good plan is for saturday morning. something different to take advantage of feeling great or at least not feeling like death.. good luck and smile
This suggestion has worked for me.

Option A: Think of getting up really early, getting a great breakfast with some good coffee. Then, go out on an early morning hike or bring camera and take some pics.

Option B: Sleep until 11am, then wake up with a throbbing headache. Have a feeling like I've walked through the desert without water for a few days. Feel nauseous all day and do not enjoy my lunch. Start to feel better around 4pm and start the process again Saturday night.
Also, start your recovery from day 1, and go through all the detox and other recovery stuff again.

Yeah, you're really missing out on some good fun by not drinking.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
now's the time

I agree that making a great plan for tomorrow can be a good defense. Then when your AV starts whispering that it's Friday, you should be out "having fun", you can picture the great plan you have for tomorrow and tell it to be quiet.

I also work from home on websites, and it can be so hard to stay sober. I would just drink while I worked all the time. And I also just moved, so I understand that stress too! But with a few months under my belt now, I'm loving how productive I feel and how much easier it is to handle those things. Good luck, you can do this. The first couple of weeks are brutal, but it's so worth it.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jackie1214 View Post
A little disclosure:

~ I work from home. I run two websites and am building a 3rd.
~ I care for my elderly mother who never stops talking and worrying about something. I love her, she means no harm, but it's soooo hard living with her.
~ I'm in the middle of packing a home and office and moving to another town.
All best accomplished sober. Stay strong.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Jackie
Old 11-20-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank every Friday night for about 20 years - now I never think of it
Change really is possible - good for you Jackie

D
Old 11-20-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

H.A.L.T. You can avoid cravings if you never get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. Goodluck!