Notices

Day 40

Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 40

Today day is day 40. Feels good. The last few weeks have been relatively smooth. I have had cravings but they've been manageable. Usually when a craving comes on it's because I'm hungry or a little restless. I give it some time and eat something and soon I feel better. I am trying to resist falling into complacency. I know how dangerous that can be. Last night I got home and did a bunch of chores--dishes, recycling, gave the baby a bath, etc. As I was taking out the recycling bins I thought to myself how nice it is to not be hungover and miserable. Had I continued drinking (or started again) there'd be a 90% chance I'd have been hung over or drunk last night. But I was clear headed, tired but pleasantly so, and appreciative of the cool evening air and the simple pleasure of being outside on a November night. I just had this moment of gratitude and appreciation for sobriety. Sometimes it easy to forget, especially when you're busy. But I need to remind myself everyday how good it feels to be sober and how bad it feels to be in alcohols grip. One more thing: right now I'm in a place where I'm not thinking about drinking that much. Nights and weekends pass and I just him along. Sure, there are days when cravings are worse than others, but mostly I feel like I'm in a good groove. It's crazy to me, then, to think about 41 days ago when it seemed impossible to go even one day without drinking. It's crazy how it took me three months to actually stop. Sometimes I think of alcoholism like the flu. It's like this sickness that you can't control. It takes over your life until, if you're lucky, you can put down the bottle long enough for it to go into remission. When it does you're free of that sickness. But, just like a flu or cold, you can easily get sick again by exposing yourself to it. It's great to feel better and free of that painful alcoholic roller coaster. But I know I'm just one drink away from getting back on it.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post, very inspiring! Congrats!
Old 11-19-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, SHG; congratulations on 40 days.

Great to hear that you are enjoying the benefits of sobriety.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 40 days bud
Old 11-19-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

41 days is great SHG - congratulations

D
Old 11-19-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SHG13 View Post
Today day is day 40. Feels good. The last few weeks have been relatively smooth. I have had cravings but they've been manageable. Usually when a craving comes on it's because I'm hungry or a little restless. I give it some time and eat something and soon I feel better. I am trying to resist falling into complacency. I know how dangerous that can be. Last night I got home and did a bunch of chores--dishes, recycling, gave the baby a bath, etc. As I was taking out the recycling bins I thought to myself how nice it is to not be hungover and miserable. Had I continued drinking (or started again) there'd be a 90% chance I'd have been hung over or drunk last night. But I was clear headed, tired but pleasantly so, and appreciative of the cool evening air and the simple pleasure of being outside on a November night. I just had this moment of gratitude and appreciation for sobriety. Sometimes it easy to forget, especially when you're busy. But I need to remind myself everyday how good it feels to be sober and how bad it feels to be in alcohols grip. One more thing: right now I'm in a place where I'm not thinking about drinking that much. Nights and weekends pass and I just him along. Sure, there are days when cravings are worse than others, but mostly I feel like I'm in a good groove. It's crazy to me, then, to think about 41 days ago when it seemed impossible to go even one day without drinking. It's crazy how it took me three months to actually stop. Sometimes I think of alcoholism like the flu. It's like this sickness that you can't control. It takes over your life until, if you're lucky, you can put down the bottle long enough for it to go into remission. When it does you're free of that sickness. But, just like a flu or cold, you can easily get sick again by exposing yourself to it. It's great to feel better and free of that painful alcoholic roller coaster. But I know I'm just one drink away from getting back on it.
Thank you for this post. I'm almost done with day 4 and the days have been dragging! Today has been full of anxiety & cravings. Reading your post gave me some hope that it will get better. Thank you!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

40 days is great!

I like that you are noticing the small things and how you can feel good being sober. And, I agree about our thought processes when we're drinking. The level of denial I had was phenomenal.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 40 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!