Notices

Just a rant

Old 11-17-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a rant

I've written about my father before and his oxycodone usage. I'm on it as well. He has no discipline and is stubborn. So he goes up north hunting and he takes along a limit of pills that my mom allotted him (have my own thoughts on that even). He gets up there and since I know his personality I know he gobbled em up in the first couple days and ran 100% out of them for the last couple days. Withdrawals kick in within 24 hrs. Let's just say he had many MANY stops on his 330 mile drive home. Worse yet, he said he could't control it. No appetite, restless legs at night. It sounded horrible. He got home and doubled up on dosage for a full day or two and returned to normal. So, another horror story about oxy withdrawal.
And that is why I am tackling it right now, not when I run out. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry about your dad, Jeff! And good for you for taking care in your own tapering.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry bud
Old 11-17-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Jeff. I can only guess how hard this is to watch. Hope the vent helped.

D
Old 11-17-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

That must be really hard on you Jeff. Respect to you is due for taking responsibility for your own taper though - it's the one part of the situation that you have control over
Old 11-17-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry Jeff. I can only guess how hard this is to watch. Hope the vent helped.

D
Its not so much hard to watch, he dug his own hole. But it makes me nervous. I guess I'm being selfish. I went through alcohol withdrawal, it was a strong motivator in quitting. Hated that worse than I hated the high of being drunk. So naturally I'm a keeping close tabs on my own consumption etc...

ps. regarding him, I told him why in the heck did you start taking them again when you got home, you already started the detoxification process intentional or not, and he should have just fought through it.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
That must be really hard on you Jeff. Respect to you is due for taking responsibility for your own taper though - it's the one part of the situation that you have control over
Thanks saoutchik. Our family is kind of "different" to put it nicely. Most try to use him because of his success in life, my wife and I don't, we simply care for the man. After all he is a human being, not just a wallet.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Its not so much hard to watch, he dug his own hole. But it makes me nervous. I guess I'm being selfish. I went through alcohol withdrawal, it was a strong motivator in quitting. Hated that worse than I hated the high of being drunk. So naturally I'm a keeping close tabs on my own consumption etc...

ps. regarding him, I told him why in the heck did you start taking them again when you got home, you already started the detoxification process intentional or not, and he should have just fought through it.
I can understand that angle too - but you seem pretty self aware Jeff. There's always a another road to pick, and seems to me you're on it

D
Old 11-17-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sorry for your father's struggle, Jeff.

I am very proud of you for your foresight and proactive taper schedule.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jeff, I'm sorry too, about your father. It sounds like he is not ready to make the decision to stop using oxy, but I'm glad you are self-aware.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. You have your own taper to worry about and it must be hard, maybe even triggering, to deal with your dad's abuse. I have to ask, who are these drs who are willing to prescribe huge quantities of these narcotics over long periods of time (rhetorical question really)? Even when my late hub was dying of cancer there were checks and balances. Maybe anonymously report his prescribing MD for prescription abuse....ok that's a bad idea. It just kind of amazes me.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's an epidemic, unfortunately. I think you are very wise to be so careful about it.