Notices

day 1

Old 11-15-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1

Hello, I need some support. I'm really trying to quit using opiates. I've been using for over a year now and I'm just fed up with feeling like a loser!!! I just want to be done but I'm so scared of withdrawal and I can't take any time off work and I don't want to tell my family because I've been through this before and quit for a few years and then fell back into it... God I'm so ashamed of myself.... please help me
Old 11-15-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Getting through work those first few days is going to be hard. But not impossible. Get some immodium and some gatorade. Make yourself eat a little, even if you really don't feel like it. Soup, crackers, fruit, just something light you know, but your body's got to have some fuel in the form of nutrition and not opiates. You can do it!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Liberty
Old 11-15-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, liberty.

Have you spoken with your doctor to help formulate a plan for withdrawal and recovery?
Old 11-15-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have a doctor and can't afford to go to one either
Old 11-15-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't really have a plan and not really sure where to even start I just wanna crawl in a hole and fall asleep...
Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If things get bad get to the ER, they have to treat you even if you don't have money. I know you don't want your family to find out and I know you don't want work to find out, but if your life depends on it, get to the ER, work, family, etc will work itself out at a later time.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Here's a few links to help you build a plan Liberty

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 11-15-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can you try to taper yourself off?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Opiate withdrawal can look just like the flu. Pale, fever-like sweaty skin. One look at you and I am sure your boss will send you home.

Just play it off as the flu. Its pretty much flu season already.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't have experience with opiates, but I want to let you know by taking this first step you are on your way to kicking this for good. Withdrawals of any kind are not easy. Cravings are not easy. However, you CAN do this. We are all here to support and encourage you.

I agree with the poster who said to go to ER if needed. Your life is more important than someone finding out. It is likely your family knows you're using and may even be able to provide you some support if you open up to them.

Good luck and hugs!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you taper off it will take you longer overall to get clean from opiates, but tapering will lesson the severity of the withdrawl, though you will experience some withdrawl symptoms.

If you go cold turkey be prepared that your withdrawl symptoms will peak in severity at around 72 hours after stopping and will be more severe.

The severity will also depend on how much/how long you have been on opiates, (for obvious reasons...).

Overall opiate withdrawl feel like the flu. Runny nose and sneezing are common. Yawning a lot. Aching muscles. Muscle tension and even muscle cramping. Diarrhea. Sweating. Goosebumps. In very severe opiate withdrawl you can get a severe case of restless legs and maybe restless arms in which in order to make the pain go away you need to move the extremity and/or kick you legs. (part of the reason they call it "kicking" the habit.) Many addicts refer to severe opiate withdrawl as "dope sick".

I don't know what kind of opiates you've been using, but if it is prescription pain meds you can let your Dr. know you want to quit and he/she can help you taper off. Most Dr.'s are accustomed to tapering patients off of pain meds.