Notices

Lack of Responses

Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Lack of Responses

I've noticed there are a lack of responses to threads on the weekend (Fri - Sun)...

Where should we post if we need a response / advice on the weekend?
Old 11-14-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This sub-forum (Newcomers) appears to be the busiest section. In my experience, anyone who posts and asks for help always seems to get at least a few responses.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah this is the one I use. Sometimes it takes a moment though.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

There's usually a weekend thread that sees a lot of posts. Here's this week's:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5640385
Old 11-14-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Know what you mean......living southern hemisphere means your timing is so out with the rest of the world....then weekends on top of that....there's been quite a few times when some encouragement and contact would have really helped but just no one around. Can't be helped.....
Old 11-14-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've noticed this as well. As mentioned above, the weekender posts are usually good for quick responses
Old 11-14-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The "class of ..." Threads might be good, and of course the ever-so-popular weekender thread. Sometimes threads slip past when there's a lot of people posting cuz it doesn't take long to end up on pg. 2. Maybe try replying to replies so that it stays active?
Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Even with an international board like this there are always going to be a downtime. I would hate for anyone to take that personally.

The suggestions here are good - this newcomers forum always has people in it - it holds the weekend threads, and the current months Class of thread.

The Under One Year thread is also usually fairly active - it's in the Daily Support forum

I also just started a Nighttowl Thread.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...wl-thread.html

Whenever I'm around I always try and target the threads with low responses...I know I'm not alone in that

D
Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

I've never posted in the "weekeder" or "class of threads"; great ideas! I'll try those next weekend. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Whenever I'm around I always try and target the threads with low responses...I know I'm not alone in that D
D, you're a great (and quick) responder! I'm sure all of us can agree on that.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
I've never posted in the "weekeder" or "class of threads"; great ideas! I'll try those next weekend. Thanks!

D, you're a great (and quick) responder! I'm sure all of us can agree on that.
Hi sober runner!!! The weekender is fast moving but a really caring and supportive bunch. Jump in and say hello. It's to help provide some extra support on the weekend to those who find that's a difficult time. Like me!

Hope you are doing well!

Ken
Old 11-15-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just figured everybody is busy doing weekend stuff with friends and family or running around doing chores. John
Old 11-15-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Post in the weekender thread for sure. From a glance it may appear as a fun and games type of thread. I assure you that as soon as anyone indicates they are having trouble people respond to it. It can get serious in a second and you will receive a lot of support. Sometimes people just lurk (read), but when someone is in trouble they jump in immediately.

And as mentioned, the daily support threads and class threads are very active.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I will add that in general newcomers draw consistently more responses when doing a couple of small things.....imo. This is a corollary to traffic in general.....

Thank everyone who takes the time to respond to your thread/post! Of course that said, responder posts that are out of bounds for community standards or highly obtuse are a different story - in general, take a 1/10 of a second and tell responders thanks!

Consider all responses and try not to judge. If you do judge, keep the verdict to yourself. As a newcomer you know very little about first time sobriety! Willingness and open-mindedness go a lonnnnnnng way in getting sober and increasing the odds of recovery. Ask questions, but consider all information given........pause before responding.

Finally, if you've been around for a couple years or more and have a grand total of 3 posts all of which are "failed again" and you are seeking more help you many not generate a ton of responses. It would appear that maybe once again you feel bad for drinking, want someone to tell you it will be ok and then disappear until the next time.

It seems that those who are able to post frequently generate more responses when they start a thread or ask a question. SR really is a large, extended family with a few issues...........

There is an incredible amount of heartfelt experience, strength and hope on these pages from across the globe. This is a landing ground of diversity in recovery. We all are part of a truly amazing resources......

IMO, a few simple suggestions may increase the responses one generates when they do start a thread. Soberrunner - you are a good example for others to follow. Polite, inquisitive and grateful for those who respond!
Old 11-15-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
I've noticed there are a lack of responses to threads on the weekend (Fri - Sun)...

Where should we post if we need a response / advice on the weekend?
Hey sober runner!

One reason I didn't post much yesterday is I spent about 2 1/2 hours outdoors with fitness. My routine yesterday was jogging for 40 minutes followed by brisk walking for another 90 minutes and then meditating and stretching for another 20 minutes and beautiful outdoor setting. It was indescribable...but as a runner, you get it I'm sure. Today I got outside again for a brisk 4 mile walk. It's just so rejuvenating to me to get out and exercise and breathe in the fresh air, connect with the ground and sky and it also makes me feel more connected to the Lord. I exercise outdoors as much as I can, but when I can't I have a gym membership to an awesome gym that has a highly positive atmosphere.

After exercising yesterday, used the rest of the day to get my housework done, especially catching up on laundry and it feels so good to get that done!!

I am realizing that fitness is so good and healthy in so many ways....heart, mind, body, soul....and....SOBRIETY. Just today I told my husband that fitness is one of the keys to sobriety for me.

Anyways, keep up with fitness yourself. I'm convinced it is soooooo helpful in soooooo many ways and will help keep us on the sober path as well!

Blessed Be...
Old 11-15-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The world is distracted this weekend, but in my experience, this is the place. Hang tough, you are stronger than you know
Old 11-15-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have noticed this also but it may be due to people having fun or spending time with family on weekend.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I try not to take it personally.

The way i see it is that putting my thoughts out there is to help me. Responses are an added bonus. I also find that by participating more we build bonds and a community.

I have thought it's rough to write a long post sharing feelings and get few responses when people who are starting say hello and they will get a bunch. I think this is a exercise in humility too. It is what it is and it's out of out control how many answers we get.

Don't be discouraged and keep posting. Someone is always listening.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

True enough. I post with no expectations--it's for me, more like a journal. If I wish to speak to someone direct I PM (and I do that a lot). Reading other folks' posts gives me a feel of who I can relate to. I also post on threads to support if I can relate. This is how I use this site. Personally, I have never been in a "class of" thread but they seem to be popular for some. I'm here every morning (weekends included) so look me up or I will you. Peace.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sometimes that's the way it goes, there are days when there are 2/3 pages of new threads and other days only 1 page.

I do try to scroll down to pages 2 and 3, and any that are light on replies give them a bit of a bump, threads can slide off the front page very quickly in the busy times and a thread could have zero replies just through too much activity!!

As for the weekends it depends, people can be busy, I didn't log in much this weekend as there was plenty going on, but then at other times there might be nothing happening and I could be on SR for long periods of time!!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Thanks for the responses!

Just to clarify: my OP wasn't posted because I felt like too few people responded to my threads while responding frequently to others. It was more so exactly what was stated--where should I (or anyone) post if they need quick answers on the weekend. And, I got some great suggestions, like The Weekender Thread.

Also, I'm satisfied with the number of responses I get when posting. I do not take the # of responses personally and I would never think I'm owed responses when posting, as some of my Qs may (or may not) resonate with or members. It's just sometimes I may need a quick response/word of encouragement and was wondering where would be the best place to do that (on the weekend) b/c there seem to be fewer responses. And, not just for me... For many people.

So, I just wanted to clarify that... By no means was this supposed to be a whoa-is-me thread; I was just curious.