Notices

How Times Change

Old 11-14-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Times Change

I have posted here a lot about my family situation.

Basically, my beloved Grandma passed away suddenly almost four months ago. I had been living with her prior to her death (at her request). Three of my aunts live there too (none of whom were easy to live with, I might add).

Since my Grandmothers death, things have deteriorated rapidly, regarding my Grandmothers will. I am not sure of all the details, but my dad has over 40 years of experience in the legal field, and when he heard about the carry on regarding the will, he was shocked. At this point I should mention a few things about my dad: 1) he is extremely kind; 2) he is an honest man and 3) he is very trustworthy.

A lot of the problems stem from the fact that my mother has been named as one of the executors but is being kept completely in the dark by the others. And when my parents made their feelings known, we were told to "never darken the door again" and "see you in court". My parents have now met with the solicitor themselves and they are trying to come to some sort of agreement and extend an olive branch as they are very much peaceful sort of people.

The fact remains that my parents live in a very rural area, and when I want to see my friends in the city, these days I have to get a B&B as I refuse to beg my aunts for anything.

My Grandmother would be horrified if she knew that I was spending € 60 on a B&B when she had a lovely house in the city. She was a hardworking, old school, type of lady. One of her last wishes was that my aunts be nice to me, but families are difficult.

I went to see my friends last night and I found a guesthouse, which I chose partly because my brother and his wife stayed there last Christmas when they were seeing their own friends.

All of my friends have been extremely generous towards me in light of the current situation, but they have jobs and families and I don't wish to impose too much.

As I got into bed last night at the guesthouse, I took a few moments to reflect on how far I have come. I had a relapse last February, after a spectacularly bad job interview, but I have been sober since then. The fact that my parents trust me to stay over, by myself is pretty awesome! There was no way they would approve of that, even this time last year. Yeah, my mother drives me crazy at times, but as I was leaving to head to the city, all she said was "stay safe and don't walk around by yourself in the dark". I noted that there was no reference to "stay away from the bottle"!

I finished work in August and I have been looking for a job since then. I had an interview a few weeks ago and I got an email to say that my application was successful and I am now on the panel, when a job opens up. I have another interview scheduled for Monday.

Sometimes when I look at myself in the mirror these mornings, I can't believe that there was a time in my life when I was too afraid to send out CVs.

I have come a long way and I couldn't do it without the support I get here, so I want to thank all of you.

Here's to sobriety! Onwards and upwards for all of us x
Old 11-14-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your sobriety! Sounds like you're doing pretty well for yourself. Life can be hard but it's better sober, no matter what.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

That's really great tetra. Life sober is so much better, isn't it.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I noted that there was no reference to "stay away from the bottle"!
Nice! My mother-in-law is still suspicious of me. Two years ago, she witnessed my extremely embarrassing all-weekend bender, and ever since when I don't pick up or husband says I'm sick, she assumes I'm drunk. Drives me nuts, but with time I hope our actions speak for themselves.

I finished work in August and I have been looking for a job since then. I had an interview a few weeks ago and I got an email to say that my application was successful and I am now on the panel, when a job opens up. I have another interview scheduled for Monday.

Sometimes when I look at myself in the mirror these mornings, I can't believe that there was a time in my life when I was too afraid to send out CVs.

I have come a long way and I couldn't do it without the support I get here, so I want to thank all of you.

Here's to sobriety! Onwards and upwards for all of us x
Well done, Tetra! So proud of you. Onwards and upwards.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're right, Tetra. Onward and upward!

Good luck with the interview on Monday!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Oh Tetra! I'm just proud to know you, my dear!
Onwards and upwards, indeed!
Xo
Old 11-14-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds as though things are going really well for you, tetra - so good to hear that.

Good luck with the interview!!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The death of a family member can bring out the worst in people in terms of greed and who gets what from the will. I've seen it rip some of my family members apart as well. I think it boils down to people not being able to grieve the loss of a loved one properly. Just thinking about it makes me feel sick to my stomach
Old 11-16-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Onwards and upwards Tetra!!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're getting a handle on things, Tetra!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tetra, you are doing so well! Congratulations!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad things are looking up for you Tetra

D
Old 11-16-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

You are amazing Tetra XO