Just got hit by a drunk driver

Old 11-13-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just got hit by a drunk driver

It's been a interesting turn of events. I originally found Sober Recovery because of my AS who had just gotten a DUI at the start of 2015.

Yesterday afternoon a man sideswiped me and took off. I was able to tail him and report him to the police. He passed out at the wheel. I was not hurt but certainly could have been had he hit me head on. My drivers side doors are totaled. My AS, who is in recovery, was livid. He was so angry that this drunk could have killed his mom. For him, it was a great eye-opener and hopefully will help him keep his sobriety first and foremost.

For me, I just have an overwhelming urge to go to the county jail and try to rehab him, tell him about SR, hug his family members and tell them I understand. How nuts is THAT? I just have so much empathy for his wife and children. Life certainly is crazy.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SO glad you are OK.

They really know not what they do
Old 11-13-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

MOST important, I'm glad you are OK.

SECOND, I hope it has a favorable effect on your favorite drunk driver. Unfortunately, I know a few alcoholics for whom the answer was that they gave up driving (though they continued to drink). At least they won't take someone else with them (not that way, anyway).
Old 11-13-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Originally Posted by INgal View Post
......... hug his family members and tell them I understand. How nuts is THAT? I just have so much empathy for his wife and children. Life certainly is crazy.
Every addict has countless numbers of people that are affected by their drinking. When we do the math it's staggering.

We're all in this together. Aren't we? I often think of the world of addiction as a club that I never wanted to be in. But, I'm here now, and I'm going to make the best of it. I think it's wonderful that you have empathy for them. It's good for them, but it's good for you too.

Glad you're ok.