Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My Dr gave me a prescription for Naltrexone but said I need to not drink for 2 days before starting.

Notices

My Dr gave me a prescription for Naltrexone but said I need to not drink for 2 days before starting.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does anyone know the logic behind this? It would be a lot easier to start it tonight.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry - no real knowledge of that. A wild guess - if you've been drinking, that could keep the naltrexone from doing its job of blocking the opioid receptors since they would already be "in use".
Old 11-13-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I take naltrexone 1-hour before having a drink, I get no buzz and am functionally closer to a non-alcoholic. I do not take it daily - that didn't work for me.

Another point about naltrexone that can matter, especially in terms of research studies: the various generic brands have different characteristics such as time to absorption into the blood stream. Where one generic didn't work for me, a different one did.

As a medical researcher, I would exercise caution about any study being used as the "last word" on a subject and it is too easy to misinterpret what we read. I think the jury is still out on naltrexone.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was wondering if she was confusing alcohol with opioids too. Alcohol is metabolized so quickly...I obviously don't need 2 days to get it out of my system. I will call the pharmacist, and report back.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol affects the opioid receptors in the brain. If we drink enough of it, it can persist in the body for 48 hours, as I understand it. Good to check with a professional!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I called the pharmacist, and she said that she thinks that 24 hours of abstinence should be plenty. Basically, I just need to make sure that all of the alcohol is out of my body, to avoid side effects.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember No Medical Advice.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Is not drinking for two days scary for you Garfield?

D
Old 11-13-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Following directions was something I was never very good at - in sobriety I have changed that perspective and work more with others than pulling against them. Heck, I even wear my seat belt most of the time!

Remarkably, I follow doctors orders and do try to obey rules. I am more at peace when I have some faith in these things and demonstrate a willingness to change..........
Old 11-13-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Can you make it two days without serious withdrawals Garfield? If so, this sounds like a good opportunity to let the medication help you achieve your sobriety goals.