Notices

First Meeting

Old 11-11-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Meeting

So today after 4 beers I went to my first AA meeting. There were four other people there. One woman. I was the youngest. They let me share my story. I'm afraid to quit drinking and I told them so. They told me it was ok and to keep coming back. I thought they would reject me for not being sober completely. But they didn't. I didn't tell anyone I was going. I decided to go ten minutes before the meeting started. I think I'll go back. I'm just scared. Maybe I need inpatient? I come here because I believe you all understand. I know I'm sick. A young 39 year old newlywed mother of one now mother of three who is sick. I don't know if I'm crazy or if I actually need help.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How

How do you pick a day and just stop? I keep picking tomorrow and then I fail.

Originally Posted by nebrgrl View Post
So today after 4 beers I went to my first AA meeting. There were four other people there. One woman. I was the youngest. They let me share my story. I'm

afraid to quit drinking and I told them so. They told me it was ok and to keep coming back. I thought they would reject me for not being sober completely. But they didn't. I didn't tell anyone I was going. I decided to go ten minutes before the meeting started. I think I'll go back. I'm just scared. Maybe I need inpatient? I come here because I believe you all understand. I know I'm sick. A young 39 year old newlywed mother of one now mother of three who is sick. I don't know if I'm crazy or if I actually need help.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

You got to want to be sober more than you want to drink
Old 11-12-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

glad yer opening up here and went to a meeting,too! and ya got there early....good on ya!
ya know youre sick but dont know if yer crazy or just need help...... im thinkin prolly all 3.

soberwolf hit probably the main ingredient to getting sober.
that fear youre experiencing-fear of the unknown-is rather common.
please get the same amount of courage that got ya to that first meeting to go to the next. while there, get phone numbers of others.
dont pick tomorrow to stop. it never gets here. pick today. and dont drink only for today.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nebrgrl

It's scary to consider giving up what we know.But you're not alone here - wew really do understand.

SR helped me to get sober and stay that way. The community here helped me to rediscover the real me again.

I know we can help you do the same too

D
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome nebrgrl ... Good for you for getting the courage to go to a meeting! Keep coming back -- even if that's all you can do.

I agree with the other posters about tomorrow never getting here... I just finally picked a day and said today's the day. As I did that it felt too soon -- like tomorrow would be easier -- but I realized tomorrow just never comes, so it has to be today. If that makes any sense.

I, too, was very scared to quit ... It has been much better than I could have imagined. It does take work, but it gets so much better.

Keep coming back.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I doubt your crazy. A crazy person wouldn't question whether they had a problem. Good job on going to a meeting and joining this site. If you believe you inpatient treatment so quit, and its a viable option, go for it. As you'll read on this site, it always gets worse, never better. So the sooner you address the demon, the quicker you'll be "un-sick". Wish you the best.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most of us were scared and I know I felt pretty crazy by the time I stopped drinking. The good news is that you will be able to do this and you will feel better about yourself and your life. We're here for you.