Notices

Work and effort

Old 11-11-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Work and effort

I just feel like posting. First, I want to mention that I have successfully reduced my oxycodone intake by 10mg more per day for the last 6 days and have felt no noticeable withdrawals. So that's good.

I've observed recently quite a few posts with regard to people having trouble stopping drinking or only making it a short period of time before relapsing. Some to the point of being at a loss as to what to do. I totally understand that, after all, that's why most of us are here. But I wanted to chime in and try to point out to people how much work and effort is involved in active drinking. I can only share my experience, but it was a lot damn work. The planning, the recovering, the constant state of drunkenness or recovery, effort to eat, stay hydrated, to focus, to think clearly, to work. Why? So we can continue to drink. I'm only realizing now how much effort was required to both live a somewhat productive normal life and be an active drinker. I do things now effortlessly whereas before they would be things that would inconvenience some good drinkin' time. So, for those struggling, try giving it shot for awhile. Its very possible the most prominent feeling at first will be boredom (because you were always so darn busy with your drinking). Anyway, its a new perspective for me, and I thought I would share it.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very true thomas11!!! It was a lot of work to drink and keep a job. The planning involved in making sure the mixers were plentiful, keeping the rotation of the liquor stores proper (like they didn't know lol), making excuses of why you can't do stuff with people, etc.

Life IS so much better now. Like you said, at first I was totally bored and exhausted. It was hard to see past the withdrawals and adjustment to not drinking.

Great post! Glad you are doing well. Keep it up!
Old 11-11-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post! Hiding or managing the hangovers took all my daytime hours!

I kind of marvel at all the free time in my brain now that I'm not scheming constantly to manage my drinking and get more drinking in.

I like your perspective, thank you!
Old 11-11-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So true, Jeff. Sobriety is so much less complicated!!!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Great post, Jeff- I like that perspective; how true!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Right on with this post. Drinking was a job in itself for me and a costly habit. Now i see things clear and i look at my friends that still drink sometime i pity them for getting so sloppy. I'm in the early stages of recovery and it does get boring at time so i have to look deep inside myself and find out who am i really now that im sober...
Old 11-11-2015, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good post Jeff
Old 11-12-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Thomas, that all rings a bell with me so I'm grateful that you've brought it to my awareness.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
Very true thomas11!!! It was a lot of work to drink and keep a job. The planning involved in making sure the mixers were plentiful, keeping the rotation of the liquor stores proper (like they didn't know lol), making excuses of why you can't do stuff with people, etc.

Life IS so much better now. Like you said, at first I was totally bored and exhausted. It was hard to see past the withdrawals and adjustment to not drinking.

Great post! Glad you are doing well. Keep it up!
Jeez, I almost forgot, the rotating liquor stores. Yeah, how embarrassing is that?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Too funny! I used 3 different convenience stores every morning and yesterday one clerk asked where I had been (was getting smokes for da wife). I guess I was a "regular" even with the rotation.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ha. Yes, rotating liquor stores *and* rotating public garbage bins! Yeah, it's normal to keep a bottle up your sleeve so you can deposit it without anyone noticing. Clink. Clink.