Notices

When the famous fall...

Old 11-11-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When the famous fall...

Yesterday it hit the news that a local politician / state lawmaker was arrested for DUI. Shortly after the news, he released a statement indicating he'd been battling alcoholism his entire adult life and would immediately be seeking treatment.

I imagine that, as a state representative, he had a lot of political 'guidance' that helped him come to this conclusion and decision more quickly than some others may have. Regardless of reasons, I was glad to see him make that statement - and not just for himself.

Not long ago, Ted Kennedy published a book on his own struggles with addiction, his experiences coming from a family for whom addiction was a pervasive issue, and the pressures of politics and public life as it pertains to addiction.

Ted Kennedy took a lot of flak, and was even overtly pressured NOT to publish his book.

My state representative has already taken a lot of flak - but also received a lot of support - for his statements....

See, famous people are human beings too. When famous people own their issues with addiction and bring them to the public light, it forces the genuine consideration that addiction may be an issue that affects us all. That addiction isn't just about the homeless guy under the overpass slurping from a paper bag. That addiction doesn't discriminate.

I feel for the guy, and hope that he truly embraces this opportunity, that the pressures of public office don't create a barrier to his success, that this is a turning point for him.... and I hope that the awareness of this story helps in some small way toward removing stigma.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just to clarify, it's Patrick Kennedy who currently has a book detailing his addiction struggles. Ted Kennedy passed away in 2009. He was Patrick's father.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It was recommended to me to read Eric Clapton's autobiography early in my recovery.

The book is an interesting read, from his lifestyle and his struggles with drugs and alcohol (including his attending rehab)

I've read the book a few times now, i'd highly recommend it.

At the end of the day, we are ALL human beings and we ALL struggle with things in our daily lives. "Famous" people are no exception.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Just to clarify, it's Patrick Kennedy who currently has a book detailing his addiction struggles. Ted Kennedy passed away in 2009. He was Patrick's father.
yes... sorry... the book also details a lot of Ted Kennedy's alcholism.... so many Kennedys, so much addiction...
Old 11-11-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Findingtheway View Post

At the end of the day, we are ALL human beings and we ALL struggle with things in our daily lives. "Famous" people are no exception.
Totally!

But the 'famous' have a certain power to effect perception. I'm always encouraged to see those in the limelight of public attention taking steps to acknowledge and own addiction issues and to help bring it out into the light as acceptable to discuss and - hopefully - to help destigmatize.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
yes... sorry... the book also details a lot of Ted Kennedy's alcholism.... so many Kennedys, so much addiction...
Well, being as their father Joe was one of the most successful and wealthy bootleggers during prohibition, it stands to reason....
Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice post FO
Old 11-11-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Totally!

But the 'famous' have a certain power to effect perception. I'm always encouraged to see those in the limelight of public attention taking steps to acknowledge and own addiction issues and to help bring it out into the light as acceptable to discuss and - hopefully - to help destigmatize.
I totally agree with you FreeOwl.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I've been reading this thread and having mixed feelings on how to respond. It is good that famous people get headlines and alcoholism gets in the news showing that it's something all walks of life suffer from. But I'd like to see someone take this up as a cause and show some activism. I get the feeling that many of the famous have their PR people telling them rehab will be good for their careers by showing remorse for what they did. And by the time rehab is over the news has blown over and it isn't news any more. All too often it seems the famous person just picks up where they left off and the cycle begins again. Maybe I'm just too cynical. Or maybe I'm just expecting more from the famous person. I don't know, I'm still trying to get my thoughts around this topic.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree with your thoughts, too.

Sadly, my own first impulse when I read the news was to think "Well, I'll bet his advisers told him to do this and his PR firm crafted his 'personal statement'".

It's pretty bad when even someone who truly understands this struggle first reacts with cynicism. Discussions this morning at a local coffee shop were held. A lot of talk was shared about the fact that 'everyone knows' politics is rife with alcoholism. Multitudes of political leaders were named who were known to have been alcoholic or at least very heavy drinkers. It seems that there is a general awareness and acceptance that leaders are also drinkers.

I also had mixed feelings, but I remain hopeful. For this individual, and for the potential his situation has to create positive awareness and perhaps help others.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes i think its a good thing and step in the right direction. More awareness that addiction is an illness and needs to be treated as such. The answer to me is not to criminalize us, lock us up, and make it difficult to get a good job. I dont think addicts are bad people, just do bad things. The answer has to be more awareness and treatment in my opinion. When famous people are brought in to this i think its good so more people can see whats really going on
Old 11-11-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

But...I thought I Was famous...World-renowned even!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Craig Ferguson, hilarious crazed Scot that he is, is one of my favorite figures who is in recovery. His irreverent, forthright way of presenting his addiction strikes me as insanely empowering. He has continually and consistently seemed to choose to not give his addictions continued thought, and has expressed a tremendous amount of empathy to others who are suffering.

He is, in many ways, how I model my own self-deprecatory humor regarding my addiction. Been very, very helpful for me. Funnily enough, I read his first autobiography while I was still in the earlier stages of my addiction, and even then, it hit home a little too much for comfort.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Political life fosters addiction for many reasons. I struggle to avoid getting nasty. LOL!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathan View Post
Political life fosters addiction for many reasons. I struggle to avoid getting nasty. LOL!
When you name yourself after Hobbes' most famous work, I can see why. Lemmy as your avatar makes it even more poignant.