Notices

leg weakess in sobriety

Old 11-10-2015, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dim

leg weakess in sobriety

Sorry if I'may starting all these threads lately... Most know my background as a binge drinker for the past few years. can anyone comment or lend advice on how long it will be before I start getting the strength back in legs. They feel weak and uncoordinated and I really have to focus on keeping my balance. again I know this isn't the place for medical advice but any experience with this and when it'll start to feel better would be greatly appreciated. I'm 3 days sober and although I'm relatively functional, the struggle is definitely there.
Thanks in advance
Dim
Old 11-10-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't experience weakness in my legs or imbalance.

Have you spoken with your doctor?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's not common as far as I know Dim - it may be something really small...but I really think it's time to bite the bullet and see your Dr?

D
Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dim

Doctor says it's part of the initial recovery of the roller coaster I've put my body through in my last relapse. was just reaching out to see if anyone had similar experiences when first getting sober. I've also noticed in AA that some of the older members seem to have a hard time walking normally as well. Have I done that much damage to my nerves from my binges over the past few years?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Edit: our posts crossed.

I had some weakness because I was doing things and going places sober, when before I just sat around drinking alone, lost muscle tone, and had some soreness as I got active. But I also had my doc working with me before, during detox, and all through my first three months of sobriety. Blood tests every few weeks, and physical therapy helped.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In all honesty, I might have. I hadn't really put the two together till you mentioned it.

After quitting drinking, I started running again. Well, I tried to start running. I would go out in the morning to run but my legs felt awkward, couldn't keep a rhythm and almost felt like I would fall or my legs would just give out. It was like my body didn't know what to do anymore when exerting itself. (God knows I hadn't made my body move an extra inch for a long time!). But I pushed through. Just kept on walking. Then started speeding it up and ran just a bit more each time. Been a little over 3 months sober now and things seemed to have fallen back into place, the awkwardness has faded away and coordination is back. It's almost like I had to teach my body how to move again....like learning to walk again.

Which, in a way....we are. Congrats on 3 days!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dim
When experiencing a very severe detox my legs would shake as much as my hands....especially while walking down stairs. The imbalance was due to the shakiness. As long as your dr. says there isn't something more 'neurological' going on then yes, I experienced that. But it was gone after 5 days. Stay close to the dr on this one! You're early days yet....
Old 11-11-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I had that especially weakness from the knees down along with body aches and pain and nerve damage tingling which I still have at 4 months sober.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dim View Post
Sorry if I'may starting all these threads lately... Most know my background as a binge drinker for the past few years. can anyone comment or lend advice on how long it will be before I start getting the strength back in legs. They feel weak and uncoordinated and I really have to focus on keeping my balance. again I know this isn't the place for medical advice but any experience with this and when it'll start to feel better would be greatly appreciated. I'm 3 days sober and although I'm relatively functional, the struggle is definitely there.
Thanks in advance
Dim
Hi Dim, I experienced the same thing, though I was daily drinking at the time. I believe it comes from the fact that your body is devoid of solid nutrition. I got short of breath too. I countered it the best I could by running 4 times a week, but when I bendered pretty hard, the weak legs were there and so was poor balance. A week alcohol free and some decent nutrition should help you feel stronger. Then you can try and stay that way.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dim

Thank you for the replies. its definitely great to hear that it's going to get better. I'm just woken up to day 4 and the panic attack in the morning wasn't as bad as yesterday so ill take that progress. I can absolutely resonate with the trembling while walking downstairs. and being a bit shaky when walking around normally. I'm going to check in with my doctor today and stay real close with her over the next few weeks while this this damage gets undone. I've been to 4 meetings in 2 days and don't plan on stopping there. I think I'm becoming addicted to the meetings! bring on another day of sobriety!
Old 11-11-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Its absolutely progress! This is just my opinion, but if you feel the way you describe, you must have been pretty far down the rabbit hole. Probably a great idea to stop drinking. You're playing with fire when you get to the point you have described.