Notices

Amends to my x gf

Old 11-10-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amends to my x gf

Hey guys.. so this part of my recovery is a little ways away but something ive been thinking about a lot. Im gonna be making my amends to my x. She knows about it and is willing to meet me in a couple weeks. Thing is, i think its a mistake we are broken up. Things got heated as alcohol relationships often do and i dont believe either one of us were thinking to clearly. But most important im looking for advise and experience about this. Any help is appreciated as always... thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One step at a time my friend.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What do u mean sk? Its where im at now..
Old 11-10-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The amends are for amends, no ulterior motive - not to ask for or expect anything from her. Let your sponsor walk you through it.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes no motives, really. Its just where i am and i am tired of thinking about and regretting it. I want to move on. Ive just never done this before. Its got me a little anxious
Old 11-10-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gonzo, I would think the best thing is to speak honestly to your ex-girlfriend and hope that she will accept your amends.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MrBrad

You might want to put this one off for a little longer. This will give you time to see how things go.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Once you have thoroughly worked steps 1-7 with a sponsor you will be ready to make amends. Amemds done poorly many times makes a bad situation worse
Old 11-10-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
The amends are for amends, no ulterior motive - not to ask for or expect anything from her. Let your sponsor walk you through it.
I read A LOT of threads and posts that talk about alcohol and destroyed relationships. That alcohol destroyed the relationship mutually or from the sober one, or the drunk one. It seems to consume some people. I have two thoughts. One is that if your drinking was severe enough to ruin a relationship and seek help, that should be your focus, 100%. One the other hand, if you just want to address it and move on (and that's TRULY what you want to do), why wait? Meet her, make amends, go right back to your sober, single life. Its wasted time and energy to have it nagging at you.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

What does your sponsor advise?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Amends aren't for what you can get out of them.

This is why amends come LATER in the Steps, so you can be clear about your own motives and do the right thing for the right reason.

Listen to the folks telling you to work with your sponsor. You can easily make things worse--for both of you--if you don't do this at the right time, in the right way, for the right reason.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I worked 1-7 honestly and amends is where im at. I have not been in contact with my x in weeks so it appears she has moved on so i would like to do the same. This hole situation is A very dark cloud hanging over me. My sponsor seems to be taking the position of wanting me to move on from this relationship but basically leaving it ultimately up to HP. I dont see how it could make things any worse to look her dead in the eye And say in sorry to her. But maybe im not seeing what some of u are
Old 11-10-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I read A LOT of threads and posts that talk about alcohol and destroyed relationships. That alcohol destroyed the relationship mutually or from the sober one, or the drunk one. It seems to consume some people. I have two thoughts. One is that if your drinking was severe enough to ruin a relationship and seek help, that should be your focus, 100%. One the other hand, if you just want to address it and move on (and that's TRULY what you want to do), why wait? Meet her, make amends, go right back to your sober, single life. Its wasted time and energy to have it nagging at you.
And we broke up when i was 2 weeks sober so it seems to me she doesnt care to much that im working to stay sober. So what would your advice be to this situation?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is a 12-step section here on SR where you may be able to explore this question further.

Because I'm not in a 12-step program, I don't feel qualified to offer much in response, save for it sounds like others have offered some solid feedback. I did look for a conversation on amends that took place in a series of threads called "Authenticity," which were led by a longtime SR member, RobbyRobot, who passed away earlier this year. Unfortunately, it was a lengthy series and I couldn't find what I was looking for.

The upshot of the passages I wanted to share was that it's important to remember amends are about the other person and acknowledging the harm our drinking caused them. It is to help make them whole again. It sounds like some work with your sponsor is a good plan before you do anything else.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

A shaky amends most often leads to unintended consequences, including self-loathing, regret and shame. Not to mention resentment. The perfect storm for a relapse.

Making amends for ongoing or chronic bad behavior, abuse and neglect is best done from a place of growth and change in sobriety and can be another among acts of bad faith without a healthy dose of self-awareness. I think it requires a great deal of work and forethought, a willingness and an ability to take care of ourselves while we're vulnerable, and a level of honesty with which we may not be either comfortable or familiar.

Heartbreak is a part of life. Relationships end. People move on. It's a bitter pill to swallow, and I've choked on it more times than I would have preferred.

Tread lightly.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'll come right out and say it gonzo, you've been obsessing over this relationship since you came to SR. Amends are not designed to repair relationships, they are simply part of the steps and necesary. View them for what they are and carry them out under the guidance of your sponsor.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Gonzo-I don't know the whole history of your relationship, so take what I say lightly; maybe just to shed some light and another 'angle'....it sounds like you really still love this girl and she still loves you, so it's mutual. Am I right about that?

Also, given the possibility you both now realize it was a mistake to break up. That happens too and I tend to think in a positive light that reconciliation can be a very beautiful thing, especially if the love you feel for one another is still alive, and from what you have posted it is...

Now, as to whether there is still HEALING that needs to happen in order for you both to be whole: that is something I don't have access to knowing...only the two of you can determine that honestly and I guess try to be continue to be honest and objective, although I know from my own experience that where feelings are concerned it's hard to be objective.

I think most of us have an idea of what your sponsor would advise: don't rush it. But I can understand how you feel too and feeling like you don't want to waste anymore time you have missed with someone you really love.

Anyways, best to you both and take my input for what it's worth.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'll come right out and say it gonzo, you've been obsessing over this relationship since you came to SR. Amends are not designed to repair relationships, they are simply part of the steps and necesary. View them for what they are and carry them out under the guidance of your sponsor.
I am not trying to repair anything. I am working a program of recocery, with a sponsor, and am at a point that i need to clean up my past in order to have a future. And sorry to have "ovsessed" over something that ripped my heart out and even worse hers. I came on here in a very vulnerable state, and was in an extreme amount of pain. But with that pain ive found some serenity and spiritual growth
Old 11-10-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Gonzo-I don't know the whole history of your relationship, so take what I say lightly; maybe just to shed some light and another 'angle'....it sounds like you really still love this girl and she still loves you, so it's mutual. Am I right about that?

Also, given the possibility you both now realize it was a mistake to break up. That happens too and I tend to think in a positive light that reconciliation can be a very beautiful thing, especially if the love you feel for one another is still alive, and from what you have posted it is...

Now, as to whether there is still HEALING that needs to happen in order for you both to be whole: that is something I don't have access to knowing...only the two of you can determine that honestly and I guess try to be continue to be honest and objective, although I know from my own experience that where feelings are concerned it's hard to be objective.

I think most of us have an idea of what your sponsor would advise: don't rush it. But I can understand how you feel too and feeling like you don't want to waste anymore time you have missed with someone you really love.

Anyways, best to you both and take my input for what it's worth.
Thank you teatree.. yes there is love between us. Probably always will be. We were eachothers first loves and thats special. But that doesnt mean we belong together, only god decides that. I am at a point of my recovery where im trying to right my past the best and honestly that i can. And i hav e a ton more amends to make besides her. To other x gfs. Lots of people.. but this one is gonna be hard cuz of the amount of feelings and cuz its the freshest.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

amends

absolutely not you have no idea to what extreme you've hurt this person amends means to change not to say I'm sorry and step 9 is exactly where it's supposed to be .....we face and be rid of the things in our selves which are blocking us so we can bring God with us you have to do the turnaround in step 4 you have to do a sex inventory the fourth question whom did I hurt is most of your amends so we can bring god with us you have to do the turnaround in steps 4 + 5/6 + 7 by the time you get to step 9 you will have the awareness and the understanding to what extreme you harmed an injured others not just what you did to people but the amends of omission you needed me and I wasn't there for you the bottom of page 82 the amends to our family passing all understanding the patient wives and mothers have had with alcoholics had this not been so there prehaps be no home or we would be dead we have to say thank you as well during the prior steps will enable us to sit down with the family and frankly analyze the past as we now see it we can't make amends to others to save our skin and harm them it's about cleaning our side of the street if our manner is calm frank and open we will be gratified we live steps 10 11 and 12 as we clean up the past page 84/3 paragraph it's too soon to make amends the best in mens you can make is by your behavior do the right thing today find a step sponsor and when you get to step 9 you will be able to sit down and properly make amends so long as it doesn't harm her any questions send me a message