Notices

Alcohol ruins lives

Old 11-10-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol ruins lives

Everything in my life that has been negative has been because of alcohol. Lost jobs, relationships, friendships, legal issues, etc. I've been going to school for the last 8 months, completed the course and the state board test, and applied for my license, (medical field). I did not disclose a past DUI on my application because it was dropped, and I was never convicted of it. My lawyer at the time told me it would never show up on a background check for employment, and the only way it would come back to haunt me is if I got a second DUI. Well, I checked the status online today of my application, and it say the background check is still pending due to a "charge" that was not disclosed. They are sending me a letter in the mail explaining the charge and what steps I must take next to get licensed. I am freaking out that if the board decides to deny me, my career is over. Just another example of how I've destroyed my own life because of drinking. Just praying I can dig myself out of this one. It's crazy to think of where I could be and how successful I would be had I never drank alcohol. This ends now. I am 30 years old and already regret the last 15 years of my life. I can't emotionally deal with any more destruction. Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry this has stalled things, Lucie. How long ago was the DUI? Have you talked to your lawyer about the best way to handle this. You will know more when you get the letter with the information on what you need to do, so don't give up hope at this point.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about that Lucie but you just mentioned some "steps" the letter would mention you can take to still get liscensed so let's not give up hope just yet!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both. My anxiety is sky high, but I'm going to try not to think about it until I get the letter, and just do whatever I need to next. The DUI was 3 years ago in another state. Once I get the letter I am also going to call the lawyer who handled my case. It's all I can do for now. Being able to come to SR and talk about it openly helps.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It also proves you cannot sweep things under the rug. Just like sobriety. I cannot just "not drink" as a plan. I am going to continue to go to AA, counseling, and hold myself accountable by telling everyone who wants to hang out with me that I am in recovery and cannot/will not drink. Only then can I hope to stop these situations from happening. I have to deal with all my problems open and honestly. Not just hope and pray people don't find out about my past.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I felt like that when I sobered up at 31 I'm 33 now and my life is in a much better place hang in there Lucie and if you ever need to vent chat were always here
Old 11-10-2015, 09:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have experienced something similar. You may want to look into "expungement" and getting your fingerprints wiped from the system. This solved my problems and didn't cost anything.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Best wishes for today Lucie
Old 11-10-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it works out Lucie

D
Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just wanted to update you that I got licensed from the board. Fortunately the charge was long ago enough they overlooked it. I dodged another bullet! This lesson has definitely taught me I will not be this lucky next time. Two weeks sober tomorrow. I also saw my doctor yesterday and told her my history, and she referred me to an addiction center to get some real help. I'll let you all know how that goes as well. Thanks always for the support.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

What was that line in Saving Private Ryan Tom Hanks utters while dying..........make it count!

Good for you on perusing your sobriety, it all starts with that. Congratulations on 2 weeks, that's great start! Keep posting and working towards recovery - glad your licensing worked out.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks Fly!!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Lucie XO
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad it worked out for you Lucie. I have 2 DUI and a pretty bad background check so I know how tough it could be.

Hang in there
Old 11-19-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lucie, I'm glad things worked out for you and also that you are continuing to work on your recovery.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

There is a saying that anything we put before recovery we could (and most likely will) lose. Take care of yourself Lucie, glad you got everything sorted out.