Notices

Day One, again

Old 11-09-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One, again

Here I am again...I can't seem to control drinking during the weekends. I'm resolute today, but it seems the closer it gets to Friday my resolve weakens and I convince myself that I can handle it.

I'm tired of waking up on Monday morning wishing that I could have a 'do-over' on my weekend. I'm tired of feeling like I've let my wife and daughter down. I'm tired of hiding.

How can I keep strong when the weekend rolls around...?!?
Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Come and spend your time on here when you feel like drinking post and read it will get you through..
Old 11-09-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, why not make a plan for next weekend and stick to it? Plan to do something different than your normal weekend activities. You can do this!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you NeoNew...
Old 11-09-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootiesdad View Post
Thank you NeoNew...
I am only 10 days in and last week was tough I came here and posted that I was finding it hard and the replies from people here got me through so you should try that
Old 11-09-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
So, why not make a plan for next weekend and stick to it? Plan to do something different than your normal weekend activities. You can do this!
Exactly! Weekends are tough for me but with a plan we can get through this.

Welcome back
Old 11-09-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna. I have to admit it's very intimidating to me...taking that first step...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm tired of waking up on Monday morning wishing that I could have a 'do-over' on my weekend. I'm tired of feeling like I've let my wife and daughter down. I'm tired of hiding.
Many of us in Recovery talk often about how we
"got sick and tired of being sick and tired."

Sometimes we need to just grow up a little
and make a firm decision to not drink anymore.

Still growing up here at 64 years of age.
There would be no progress if still drinking.
Just ask my wife and friends.

MM
Old 11-09-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Quit falling for this:

"I convince myself that I can handle it."

You haven't accepted taking drinking completely off the table. As many of us have, we think vigilance is the answer. Control over our drinking. We want don't want to quit drinking, we just don't want the consequences of drinking. Drinking and consequences go hand in hand. The solution is sobriety. If you can accept it, then you can find the way to make it through the weekend.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If you read enough posts on this site, I believe you will see what you are doing is a pretty common pattern. I called the weekend warrior. You'll swear off drinking until Friday rolls around and you physically feel great, mentally feel like you deserve a reward for another hard week of work etc....Its a cycle, just like daily drinking, except its weekly. Sooner or later you need to be determined to break that cycle. Its not easy. You'll probably experience a range of emotions...boredom being a big one.
On the other hand, sooner or later there is a good chance your health will become a factor. And that's when the rubber meets the road. Instead of feeling "crappy", your heart will be racing, shaking, sweating, jumpy, anxiety, feelings of impending doom and scared. Not to mention high blood pressure and possible elevated liver and kidney levels. Hopefully it doesn't reach that point, but I think if you people around here, over a period of months or years, its inevitable. Wish you the best.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We have a Weekender thread especially for some extra support, but support is only as good as when it is used!!

You can do this!!
Old 11-09-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

My story hours that the weekend warrior likes to start looking his head around during the week, then eventually every day. Take it from me, the only way to get rid of it, is to completely quit, find those close to you and bring them around during the weekend to do things that don't include you drinking.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 11-10-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here I am again...I can't seem to control drinking during the weekends. I'm resolute today, but it seems the closer it gets to Friday my resolve weakens and I convince myself that I can handle it.

Wow, I could have written this.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Indeed.

Make a plan.
Work the plan.

I convince myself that I can handle it.
I have a liar living in my head, too. I quit taking his advice and my life got a lot better. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
If you read enough posts on this site, I believe you will see what you are doing is a pretty common pattern. I called the weekend warrior. You'll swear off drinking until Friday rolls around and you physically feel great, mentally feel like you deserve a reward for another hard week of work etc....Its a cycle, just like daily drinking, except its weekly. Sooner or later you need to be determined to break that cycle. Its not easy. You'll probably experience a range of emotions...boredom being a big one.
On the other hand, sooner or later there is a good chance your health will become a factor. And that's when the rubber meets the road. Instead of feeling "crappy", your heart will be racing, shaking, sweating, jumpy, anxiety, feelings of impending doom and scared. Not to mention high blood pressure and possible elevated liver and kidney levels. Hopefully it doesn't reach that point, but I think if you people around here, over a period of months or years, its inevitable. Wish you the best.
Spot on Thomas...You described me to a 'T'.