Notices

What would you be doing today if you weren't sober?

Old 11-08-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What would you be doing today if you weren't sober?

Sometimes I forget how insane my days were when I was drinking. I would get thoughts in my head that I could just have a few today and it would big deal. Today, I am remembering what I would have been doing this morning if I wasn't sober. Here's how my day would look:

I would have gotten out of bed really early because I was really thirsty. My brain would be foggy and my eyes would be bloodshot and sore. My dogs want a walk, but I really don't feel like taking them because I feel awful and need something to drink to make myself feel better. I stumble around my closet looking for something to wear, and drive to the grocery store so I can get some more wine since I drank everything I had left in the house last night. I get to the store and buy a bunch of groceries I don't even need (I won't eat anyway because I have lost my appetite) so the store clerk won't catch on that my sole purpose for going to the store was to buy more wine. Once home, I would drink a bottle of wine during the morning, blow off doing my laundry and yard work and what ever else I had planned to do that day. My favorite football team is playing today and I will watch the game as I do each week, but I pass out during the game and have to check online when I wake up to see who won. Time to drink some more wine. I open another bottle and proceed to drink it all. The dogs still want a walk, but I am too lazy and wasted to take them. I forget to make myself something for dinner. Crap! It's Monday morning! I don't even remember going to bed last night! Who did I call on the phone? Do I have a little bit of wine left in the bottle to take the edge off? Nope! Time to get ready for work as I need to be there by 8 am. I feel awful, but I need to get there. Why did I waste the whole weekend and do this to myself?

What about you? What would your day look like today if you were drinking?
Old 11-08-2015, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...night-lot.html
Old 11-08-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would have already fabricated a reason to go "to Home Depot" or some other lie in order to go to the liquor store and would already be started on my sneaking drinking while intently listening and following to what my wife is doing in the other room so I could sneak to the garage and take another drink. Then later afternoon when I am well on my way to a drunk, I'd have a couple of beers making it look like that was all I'd drank. Then I'd be waking up tomorrow feeling like crap.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Depends on which period of my drinking career you caught me at. Three Sundays ago, while NASCAR raced at Talladega, I recalled sitting in my apartment a year before, watching the Talladega race (Kez won with a wild divebomb pass on a restart, keeping his Chase berth alive for the '14 season), pounding vodka, knowing the gig was going to be up within a few weeks and that I'd be having to face consequences.

Its all relative, but its all bad. By the time it was all said and done (that day watching Kez win at 'Dega was near the end), I was back to binging a liter a day. I recall sitting in an online AA meeting one day after I tried yet another Day 1, and a guy asked if I had "drank for the whole day." I replied, "Nope. Only when I was conscious." He laughed, but I wasn't making a joke. Sad, if humorous in hindsight.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would be on my 9th or 10th shot of the day with dibilitating heart burn dreading having to face Monday.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wake up with a pounding head,acid reflux,dry mouth,nausea,think quick if I hid a tall can or two somewhere, shoot no! I drank them all,go out to the garage and see if hubs left any half drank beers around,shoot no!go upstairs get my keys and drive to the gas station and buy 2 3-packs of tall cans,maybe wait until I get home to drink one,maybe chug one in the car real fast,depending on how shakey I am,lay back down in bed next to still sleeping hubs and sip the second tall can,try to sleep,can't..hubs gets up kisses me goes downstairs to watch the morning news,I follow him and get a cup of coffee to pretend I'm normal,I drink a cup but beer and coffee is a combustible mix and I puke,then puke again,drink more beer it stays down,so open another,take a quick shower,get dressed,finish off the beer,put one in my purse to take with me to the grocery store,pour it into an old soda can to carry through the store,sipping along the way,this is all before 10 a.m.and I'mon the 4 the tall can! Get home put the ggroceries away,try and act normal watching TV,announce after a few hours,"time for a drink" go buy more beers cuz I've got the other 2 stashed under my bed for the morning cuz hey I gotta work! Drink more,skip food all day and water,go to bed at 6 pm.pass out and do it again tomorrow, jeez,sounds fun huh? Thanks for the thread
Old 11-08-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'd be a half bottle in. 1:00-7:00 on the weekends for me.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd be sick, hungover, but still calling around to see which of my friends or family still has something they'd like to share with me (mine went quick and so did my money to get more)
Old 11-08-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'd be passed out or going to get another drink I'm so glad I stopped drinking 33 yo nearly 3 years sober best decision I ever made
Old 11-08-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Absolutely nothing. I would be so hungover from the Friday and Saturday binge that my body would need a full 24 hour to recover.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would have woken up early probably around 6am, gone to the liquor store with the the intent of buying 4 Tall Cans to drink during Football and that being all I would drink for the day. I'd probably stop and get a hefty breakfast burrito too because I realized I didn't eat the day before and I need to start getting food in me again. I'd hammer that burrito and make it until about 9am before the fullness starts to wear off.

Ahh EFF IT I'll start drinking now (9am, hey I went 3 hours this morning w/out drinking, I'm good) About halfway through the first NFL games (11:30 am) I'd notice that I only have 1 Tall Can left in the fridge and I need to keep this buzz going. I'd try and wait until my roomy went somewhere or was taking a shower and I'd rush to the closest liquor store (like 2 minutes away) grab 4 more Tall Cans, bring them to my room and leave the one still in the fridge. (so it looks like I'm not drinking) Start drinking those and pass out about 3/4 way through the second games. Wake up about halfway through the night game feeling horrible. Go to the fridge sip that last beer to get enough of a buzz that I can fall asleep again. Wake up middle of the night with my heart pounding, hands shaking realizing I'm F'd. Might call in but usually just struggle badly through the next day.

Also like OP I'd have to get online and check scores before work since I blacked out and don't remember what happened.

Good times.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^^^^Excellent post by alphaomega. Everyone should read it. It should be a sticky, imho.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Id have told my fiance i was making us a nice romantic dinner so that i could make an excuse to have a bottle of wine on the table!!!

Id have already gone to the shop & bought 2 bottles of wine (1 for the table & 1 for my secret swigs) id then cook dinner & would have drunk my secret bottle & then over dinner id have half of the other. Sometimes id take swigs from a bottle of rum & afterwards id top it up with water (what a tit)!!!!
Id then watch some rubbish tv & then get to bed somehow!!! Id then wake the following morning at 630 when the kiddies r rearing to go & id have to pull it together & actually be a mum!!!!

When im writing this its really sinking in further how much of an issue i had/have!!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would have woken up with a hangover from last night. I would feel groggy, my head would feel fuzzy, and I'd be dying of thirst. I'd get some coffee in me and probably find a bottle of wine that I'd hidden away and take some secret gulps. I'd feel guilty and ashamed and worthless. I'd do that until my boyfriend left for work, then I'd finish off the bottle. At that point, hopefully I'd have another bottle to drink, otherwise I would have to drive to Wisconsin to buy more, because Minnesota doesn't sell alcohol on Sundays. I'd drink wine all night and watch Netflix. Then I'd try to gulp down water before bed (if I even remembered) so I wouldn't feel as crappy the next morning for work. I wouldn't remember much of what happened. I wasn't able to get anything done, I didn't want to go anywhere because I didn't want to have to interact with anyone, and I would feel like total crap. Sounds like a whole lot of fun, doesn't it?
Old 11-08-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Probably either hungover in bed, drinking through the hangover, or searching for more wine at some nearby store.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'd be giving my gf the silent treatment until she got the message and just buggered off to bed so I could get on with the drinking.

Nice.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would have been drinking of course! Sunday was always an all-day drinking day for me. I'd usually crack my first beer around 10:30am or so and go non stop until bed. What ever else I might have been "doing" was really secondary to the fact that drinking all day was pretty much my focus.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Existing with utterly no respect for myself, as I did every other day.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
^^^^Excellent post by alphaomega. Everyone should read it. It should be a sticky, imho.
It's a winning thread and also is a Best of Sober Recovery thread.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would have woken up early from not much sleep the previous night and if I had any beer left I would have chugged it down or would have gone to the store to get more. Would have tried to maintain my buzz until time to go to bed. Usually would tell myself I would stop drinking by a certain time so I would be okay for work the next day. I was never okay, and would try to take a short nap during my breaks or lunch but it never happened. Needless to say my Mondays were horrible.