Notices

Feeling weak

Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling weak

My husband is going to travel next week on business and then I head out for a week as well. I'm on day 32 and for some reason I'm plotting out a plan to drink "temporarily" while we are apart. I don't know where this is comin from but I'm in need of some support.

Why on earth would I want to start back at day 1? Has anyone else thought they could just take a vacation from sobriety and then hop right back on the train? It is ridiculous even typing it because I know that it's not true but there is a very strong AV telling me otherwise.

The truth is I miss my wine and my escape and I've got to get this out of my head. I am typing this from the treadmill in hopes that exercise will help me shake this stupidity off.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hang in there

I quit for a week, thought I could go back to the limited drinking and found myself over-served very quickly. I'm starting over, and it is harder this time. Just remember the bad parts and remember that you feel better.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by DaisyBee View Post
Has anyone else thought they could just take a vacation from sobriety and then hop right back on the train? It is ridiculous even typing it because I know that it's not true but there is a very strong AV telling me otherwise. .
We've all thought that Daisy, and nearly all of us have tried it and failed. You already know rhe answer and know it's just your AV talking. Coming here first to talk through it is a fantastic idea, you can definitely get through this.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Daisy you're doing well to recognise what's going on, and caring enough to post about it. You know you can't drink moderately or for a short time, but your AV is in reasonable mode and is telling you it's possible.

Apart from awareness, the key to success is planning. Make sure you eat early, or snack mid-afternoon so you're not going home hungry. Get a can or bottle of soft drink in your hand before the usual time the cravings hit. Try to consciously relax, whether by deep breathing or whatever works for you.

Stick to your plan and make your goal to get through the evening without drinking, then do it again the next day. If you can succeed for this week you'll be justly proud of yourself and feel a sense of achievement.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
We've all thought that Daisy, and nearly all of us have tried it and failed.
Scott is right. I think the vast majority of us have tried and failed. I can't count the amount of times I thought I'd be able to drink like a normal person and failed miserably. It's not worth it. You would just be starting up this vicious cycle all over again. It's good that you're focusing on a positive activity like exercise. You can do this!
Old 11-08-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I third Scott's post
Old 11-08-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Temporary" for an alcoholic is not the same as temporary for anyone else. It can last weeks, months or years...

Be strong and push those thoughts about "temporary" drinking away. You can do it!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are really smart and strong to come here and post first.
Yes, like Scott said we have all thought we could just "take a break" but it doesn't work that way.
I also get nervous when I am totally alone, boyfriend away, kids with their father- no one would know! But I would. And you would.
Why not take the week that your husband it away to go full at a wellness regimen? Get to the gym every day and work extra hard. Try juicing and add a vegetable/fruit juice to your morning routine. Go to the market and stock up on food loaded with antioxidants that are good for your skin. Take a bath each evening with salts to purify your skin, or if you don't have a bathtub, take a steamy shower to really sweat out lasting toxins. Buy some of those at home facial masks and do one each night. Give yourself a manicure. Wash your hair at night and then leave the conditioner in while you sleep for a deep moisturizing treatment.
Spend the time taking care of yourself inside and out.
AND CHECK IN HERE!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Has anyone else thought they could just take a vacation from sobriety and then hop right back on the train?
Yes. Many, many, many times.

I don't know where this is comin from.
Mine comes from my addiction to alcohol.

The thing you are doing that I didn't do - the thing I think is FANTASTIC - is posting about it before you drink.

You can do this!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'll put my hand up for thinking this too...the last time I did it, it was only going to be for one night- I didn't get sober again for another two and a half years...

if any good came of it, it's that I don't entertain those thoughts any longer

D
Old 11-08-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Daisybee. I'm on day 36. I can hear my AV telling me this too. Just have a couple for one night, it won't hurt. But I know at worst I will get very drunk, and at best I will only have a few, but then a few days later the same voice will be saying, hey you did it once you can do it again you can control this. And I will be back right wear I started very quickly. Which I do not want. Keep busy, stay strong and keep posting.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi DaisyBee. I did this, too, after 2 months of sobriety. And then I was on the crazy train for two years where the drinking really got out of control. I wished I had been on this site and posted about it before it happened. I'm happy you're looking for support. And I know you can figure out a way to stay sober. Remember: don't drink today (repeat tomorrow)!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A little over 2 years ago I had 64 days of sobriety. I decided to have just one drink. That one drink cost me 2 years of my life. I spiraled downhill worst than I had ever been. Think of the things you can do now that you are sober that you enjoy. Keep in mind what you have to lose if you choose to drink again. I'm now at 75 days and happy to be sober and alive.

Great job on 32 days! You can do this!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Daisy,

I'm betting you won't drink because you are smart enough to have posted here well in advance.

And I can guarantee you won't drink if you choose to post here at the first sign of any cravings. Someone will respond within minutes any time of day or night. That's what we do for each other.

While I completely recognize others warnings that a 'break' could lead to weeks/months/years of drinking, I am sure your AV will try to convince you that this won't be the case for you.

You are doing great Daisy, you don't need even one more hangover in your life story.

Stay close and good luck.

Fradley
Old 11-08-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oddly enough I never drank when I was away on business.....I went shopping, site seeing , to the movies and to grocery stores to see what kind of different things I could pick up to experiment w at home. I've been to all the zoos all the aquariums, all the art galleries, some concerts and all kinds of restaurants. I never bought alcohol or drank. I think that's interesting.