Notices

New Day 2

Old 11-07-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Day 2

Went to bed last night not drunk, which was fun. I actually fell asleep without any problems and stayed asleep. I got a good solid seven hours and woke up at 6 because my husband had to go to work today. I didn't want him to have to eat breakfast in the dark house alone while the kids slept, so I got up to join him. That's something I could not have done if I had drank the night before. I would have still been drunk or terribly hung over. That felt really good.

I went back to bed and slept some more, because I am just TIRED. I know others have been talking about this subject lately. It's so weird- I feel healthier overall even after just one day, and I know my sleep last night was more restful than it usually is, but it's like my body just craves to take things slow today. I was going to clean the carpets in the hallway, but I don't know that I have the energy today.

I may just listen to my body and take things easy. My husband is between jobs right now and took a job for a farmer during harvest season hauling his crop to the gin. It's not glamorous, but it brings in money, so we're both grateful for that. While he's having to work on Saturdays (long hours too), I feel like I should be working around the house too.

Maybe I can motivate myself to take care of a few things. Do I listen to my body and rest, or get up and push through it?

BellJar
Old 11-07-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Great going on 1 day Belle! Definitely take it easy for awhile, eat well, drink lots of water & rest. Maybe just some small general cleaning, but I wouldn't tackle anything big for now?? Enjoy your day!
Old 11-07-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe a little of both BellJar. I think it's so important to listen to your body in early recovery. In my case, I had been completely ignoring my body for several years so it felt comfortable to rest, eat foods I liked, walk a bit. But, as you said, supporting your husband is important too, so maybe you could do something like cook a nice supper for the family. Good for you on Day 2.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Listen to your body it takes time to heal
Old 11-07-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on day 8 and I've got to say I felt absolutely exhausted last week (and still do). Just as others have said, I also think it's important to listen to your body. I know, I have a lot of work to do besides staying sober, but I dont want to put too much pressure on myself all at once. So I'm trying to concentrate on staying sober for now and rest as much as I possibly can.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Belljar7, what's funny is that when you are going through something some else is going through the exact same thing. I'm on day 2 as well and had a great night of sleep last night, and got up at 6 surprisingly. I did rest most of the day, posted on SR, did the dishes, and took a little walk. It's all up to you, your body will let you know. Congrats!
Old 11-07-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CurlyGirl1978 View Post
Belljar7, what's funny is that when you are going through something some else is going through the exact same thing. I'm on day 2 as well and had a great night of sleep last night, and got up at 6 surprisingly. I did rest most of the day, posted on SR, did the dishes, and took a little walk. It's all up to you, your body will let you know. Congrats!
Ha! Minus the walk, our day sounds similar. I did the dishes and a load of laundry to feel like I contributed at home, but I fell asleep while the kids napped and I think I slept for two hours!

I didn't feel up to cooking, so Domino's was ordered in a pinch. I'm wiped, but I'm also feeling inspired to do something I'm passionate about... write again. I swung by Wally World before picking up our pizzas and bought a bunch of notebooks and new pens (anyone else obsessed with pens like I am? No? Okay).

In my drunken state, I became that stupid obnoxious writer characterized in movies, weeping over a glass of scotch, lamenting, "I'm just not doing what I should be doing! I should be writing!!!" And my husband would always say, "Then write." But unlike Hemingway, I couldn't write drunk.

It feels like sober me is seeing the tiny cracks of light in the cave, and inspiration is hitting for the first time in years. It's exciting and terrifying and is igniting my perfectionism like none other, but I'm still going to put pen to page, even if it's garbage that spews out.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings here, and for reminding me that I'm not the only one.