"Get out of the way"

Old 11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Get out of the way"

That's what I told myself yesterday when a woman was speeding, riding my rear bumper as I drove into town.

At first I was yelling at her inside my head/car and getting pretty perturbed (that's my normal M.O.). But after about a three miles of this and constantly looking in my rearview mirror, I figured why not just get the heck out of her way??? I found a spot to quickly pull over then back onto the road.

When I caught up to her in about 3 miles, I realized it described this (addiction) learning process in a nutshell:

I was repeating an old behavior that was only contributing to my irritation and even dangerous for both of us. She was hell bent on getting somewhere and I was merely in her way. Sure, I slowed her down for a bit, maybe even saved her life, but that didn't stop her. When I caught up to her she was tailgating another car until he got out of her way, too. None of us truly stopped her.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good comparison, thanks!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wonderful analogy, Chino. It wasn't about you, she wasn't doing it "to" you, she was just a woman on a mission of destruction and unless you got out of her way, she could have taken you down with her.

Another lesson is that it is dangerous to drive through life looking in our rear view mirror. We miss what lies ahead when we do that.

Hugs for poking my brain today.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

awesome analogy.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

perfect message for me today!
Thank you
Old 11-06-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ACK, tailgaters....they make me lose my mind!!!!! at surface street speed i often stomp on my brakes ONCE very HARD yelling come on you SOB, hit me, BUY me a new car!!!!!! and then at some point i remember....oh shoot they might be armed......and i RELUCTANTLY get out of the way. then i have to fight the insane desire to chase THEM down and ride THEIR ass for ten miles..........

not my Zen-nest moment!!!!!

i must practice this get out of the way stuff more!!!!!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
ACK, tailgaters....they make me lose my mind!!!!! at surface street speed i often stomp on my brakes ONCE very HARD yelling come on you SOB, hit me, BUY me a new car!!!!!! and then at some point i remember....oh shoot they might be armed......and i RELUCTANTLY get out of the way. then i have to fight the insane desire to chase THEM down and ride THEIR ass for ten miles..........

I'm more a fan of the passive-aggressive thing where you drive even slower than before, like at the speed limit. Then if they go to pass you, you can speed up. If they look over while they pass you, you just look ahead like you don't care. But yeah, it's better not to engage.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Another lesson is that it is dangerous to drive through life looking in our rear view mirror. We miss what lies ahead when we do that.
Ann, look what I just found in my fortune cookie!

Old 11-07-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Chino View Post
Ann, look what I just found in my fortune cookie!

The message just keeps coming at us, lol, how on earth did I miss it for years and years....don't look back, you're not going there and get out of the way, get out of God's way.

Hugs
Old 11-10-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome analogy. Thanks for sharing
Old 11-26-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fabulous Chino! Thank you--a real life example AND analogy!
Old 11-29-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

This is why I frequently look at driving as mortal combat. That being said one still has to fight a smart fight which means you have to pick your battles very very carefully.