Notices

11 months in

Old 11-06-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 months in

Hello everybody its been awhile since I posted so I thought I would update. I just hit the 11 month mark and I am kind of in disbelief! I have tried getting sober so many times in the past with very limited success. Always failing after a week or two, maybe a month or two here and there, so I thought I would take a look at whats different this time. It really feels different and I feel I have a great chance at recovery LONG TERM!

This time around I have never once put recovery on the back burner, even though I may get sick of facing it daily I keep doing it and its always rewarding in the end. I read here daily, and post every now and then, and being a part of a community like this is a first for me, so I attribute my success to SR, and will continue doing what Im doing.

Another part of my program is attending AA, I go 2 to 3 times a week but more importantly is that I have adopted the program into the rest of my life, and got myself a sponsor and am working the steps. This was a major undertaking as I was very against AA in the beginning but at 6 months I met my sponsor and she encouraged me to check out a meeting and from then on I have overcame many obstacles.

Finally, I had to change my environment. I was in a relationship that was just not working, it was toxic and I just could never really recover in that situation. I don't blame my addiction on it though, I just know happiness was not in my home and now that I am out on my own and raising my beautiful children as a single dad, I am experiencing happiness and serenity. My children are much happier too!

Now all this does not come without stresses and bad days, thats a big thing I had to learn. I had to learn that putting down the alcohol and drugs doesn't just make life awesome, but it gives me a foundation to make life awesome, and that is happening. When the stress gets to me and I feel awful I let it out, share it here, or with other people I am slowly meeting in sobriety. My sponsor gets to hear me whine all the time! Getting out of my head is a major game changer, i used to be so isolated, and catastrophic in my thinking, never letting people know the real me. Being a drunk also didn't make me feel to confident, so hiding was natural.

School is going good, essays and mid term exams are done and being sober and mature really makes education a joy. Again, I feel like I am right where I am supposed to be in life, I've let go of these unrealistic expectations of perfection that I'd formed along the way and am open to new definitions of happiness. I'm also learning that sobriety really isn't about the destination but more so the journey. Hope this makes sense!

Everybody have a good day!
Old 11-06-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Absolutely fabulous post, justincredible.

I am glad that things are going so well for you.

Congratulations on 11 months.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats Justincredible that's awesome
Old 11-06-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

11 Months is fantastic Justincredible!!
Old 11-06-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
under new management

"Now all this does not come without stresses and bad days, thats a big thing I had to learn. I had to learn that putting down the alcohol and drugs doesn't just make life awesome, but it gives me a foundation to make life awesome, and that is happening. "

I love what you wrote here, beautiful insight, Justincredible!

Congrats on 11 months and on building such a great foundation for your life!

Old 11-06-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Justin you are doing fantastic on 11 months bud
Old 11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for a great post, and congratulations.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 months! That's a huge accomplishment, be proud of yourself!!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

11 months! wow wow wow.
Thanks so much for sharing, I find your post so real and grounded, so encouraging to me (and I'm sure many others). So, thank you for giving back. Enjoy your new way of life, you're earning it.
xx
Old 11-06-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind and encouraging replies I really appreciate them!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 11 months sober!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Way to go justincredible! Good post, and good work hitting the eleven month mark!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just incredible

I am very glad to read all this. Great progress and perception as always, and in many areas of your life. That maturity (the kind that is based on both experience and the ability to see things as they are) you mention definitely shines through!
Old 11-07-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Just incredible

I am very glad to read all this. Great progress and perception as always, and in many areas of your life. That maturity (the kind that is based on both experience and the ability to see things as they are) you mention definitely shines through!
Thanks for the support! I know maturity didn't coincide with drinking/using and I always opted for the easy way out of things, not being a very reliable person to friends and family. But, before my drinking days I always had a sense of maturity that seemed a little ahead of my age, for example, hanging out with people a bit older than me a lot, taking interest in science and spirituality that no friends my age were interested in etc.... I kind of feel that returning and balancing out, it feels good to mature I guess. I used to fear getting older, now at 36 its not so scary!

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
11 months! wow wow wow.
Thanks so much for sharing, I find your post so real and grounded, so encouraging to me (and I'm sure many others). So, thank you for giving back. Enjoy your new way of life, you're earning it.
xx
Thank you for this! Sometimes I don't feel like Im being very "grounded" or "real", maybe thats my self esteem telling me that. It's a nice thing to hear as feedback, very encouraging.

Thanks everyone else for the positive feedback it really helps!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11mos. Justin!
You helped me out a lot when I was going through those subs withdrawals. Just knowing I wasn't alone & that the longevity was "normal."
Thx so much!
Old 11-07-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow! 11 months is amazing!
Old 11-07-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Justincredible

D
Old 11-07-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your hard-earned success!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on 11 months Justincredible!
Awesome!
Old 11-07-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

What a wonderful post, Justincredible!

It always makes me happy to hear your updates

You are doing it!