Notices

Today is a Struggle

Old 11-06-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is a Struggle

Thought I would post here as today I am finding it hard not to give in a go drinking. It has been a week since my last drink last Thursday to be exact and the obsession is doing my head in. This has to get easier because I am sick of fighting the battle going on in my head.

Needed to get that of my chest
Old 11-06-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally understand. In the beginning I thought I'd never stop thinking about drinking. But you do! I promise it gets better. Up to day 20 or do (yes you can make it) it's pretty obsessive but after that it got a lot better. Hang in there and know many of us have been there and made it through. Being sober is pretty cool.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OnMyWay7 View Post
I totally understand. In the beginning I thought I'd never stop thinking about drinking. But you do! I promise it gets better. Up to day 20 or do (yes you can make it) it's pretty obsessive but after that it got a lot better. Hang in there and know many of us have been there and made it through. Being sober is pretty cool.
Thanks OnMyWay...I will have that to look forward to Also I am snapping the head of everyone which I hope passes as well..
Old 11-06-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am feeling the same right now. My morning was fine... I felt strong... but as the weekend is fast approaching I am fighting thoughts in my head.
It is also boiling hot here so I am craving something cold... maybe I'll make something festive and non alcoholic. Not sure if I trust myself but we will both try our best today. Hang in there!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Neo.....great job on posting your thoughts. Although powerful, they are just that....thoughts. You can get through this time and even though the effort isn't pleasant it does serve to build your 'sober muscles'.

It does get better! The truth is that it takes a little while, but you will turn the corner on this. Stick around here, be sure you're not hungry, and for me 45 minutes or so of exercise always helps. The first three weeks or so were toughest for me, but you've got lots to look forward to in sobriety!

Wishing you the best!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zeekie View Post
I am feeling the same right now. My morning was fine... I felt strong... but as the weekend is fast approaching I am fighting thoughts in my head.
It is also boiling hot here so I am craving something cold... maybe I'll make something festive and non alcoholic. Not sure if I trust myself but we will both try our best today. Hang in there!
Stick with it is right Zeekie we are both in the same boat and as much as I want to give in today I am not throwing the last 7 away without a fight..
Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Hi Neo.....great job on posting your thoughts. Although powerful, they are just that....thoughts. You can get through this time and even though the effort isn't pleasant it does serve to build your 'sober muscles'.

It does get better! The truth is that it takes a little while, but you will turn the corner on this. Stick around here, be sure you're not hungry, and for me 45 minutes or so of exercise always helps.

Wishing you the best!
Thanks Mark I will be sticking around here for sure and have been all week
Old 11-06-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The weekend is a major struggle for me also. My mind and body has been custom to start binge drinking from Thursday - Sunday. Even if I don't have the urge, it's just the ritual that I been following religiously that makes it hard to brake.

What has helped me so far? It's a method from Car Allen that I been following. I look at alcohol as the poison that it really is. The benefits that I thought alcohol created are just illusion. The liquid courage I thought I obtained is in me all this time and I never needed alcohol to obtain.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been posting on this site like a crazy person this time around. It seems like putting my thoughts on here they might transfer out of my head.
If it means posting on your thread every hour then so be it.
When I have these thoughts I try and think that somewhere out there is another person fighting this urge and they're winning!
7 days is incredible. I am only on day 3 so my battle is young but we all start somewhere. You'll regret a drink after that first sip so hang in there and Monday you will be 10 days sober!!!! Yay you!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
The weekend is a major struggle for me also. My mind and body has been custom to start binge drinking from Thursday - Sunday. Even if I don't have the urge, it's just the ritual that I been following religiously that makes it hard to brake.

What has helped me so far? It's a method from Car Allen that I been following. I look at alcohol as the poison that it really is. The benefits that I thought alcohol created are just illusion. The liquid courage I thought I obtained is in me all this time and I never needed alcohol to obtain.
I know what you mean the reality of it is that I will be sick in bed tomorrow thats if I stop then. But something also tells me a big lie that it will be great fun going out to drink lol crazy way of thinking..
Old 11-06-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeoNew View Post
Thought I would post here as today I am finding it hard not to give in a go drinking. It has been a week since my last drink last Thursday to be exact and the obsession is doing my head in. This has to get easier because I am sick of fighting the battle going on in my head.

Needed to get that of my chest
A week in can be really tough. Ride it out and stick to your choice of sobriety. Focus on my WHY always helped me through the rough spots... also going and getting some really good, vigorous exercise helped me through those challenging times as well.

You can do it, and it gets easier.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by NeoNew View Post
This has to get easier because I am sick of fighting the battle going on in my head.
I know exactly what you mean.

It gets better. Took me a while but on the night of day 84 I was getting into bed and I realized I hadn't fought that battle in my head at all that day. The enemy, my addiction, was silent. That night I slept the sleep of the newly emancipated.

Now, in the deep dark recesses of my mind, the AV whispers You cannot weather the storm.
And I whisper back,You know nothing. I am the storm.

It will relent, but you cannot give in to it.

You can do this!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wink

it gets a LOT Better!
a week is a good Beginning.. but, just Realize
that the process takes time.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

"No " can be a complete sentence when confronting the thoughts, cravings or urges . There are just thoughts and emotions we are experiencing , they alone have no power to make you act on them. To expereince them is difficult not allowing those thoughts to lead to action can also be difficult but is entirely possible, any inkling that it is not possible is the AV trying to weaken your resolve.
Time takes time, a great phrase from someone here, and in time it Is less difficult, you can get there. Every time you keep your resolve and don't give in , the stronger your resolve will become, the bigger your sober muscles get, even if at first it doesn't seem like it. By doing it you are doing it
"I am the storm " fantastic line Non, channel that energy, I want the tshirt
Old 11-06-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
"No " can be a complete sentence when confronting the thoughts, cravings or urges . There are just thoughts and emotions we are experiencing , they alone have no power to make you act on them. To expereince them is difficult not allowing those thoughts to lead to action can also be difficult but is entirely possible, any inkling that it is not possible is the AV trying to weaken your resolve.
Time takes time, a great phrase from someone here, and in time it Is less difficult, you can get there. Every time you keep your resolve and don't give in , the stronger your resolve will become, the bigger your sober muscles get, even if at first it doesn't seem like it. By doing it you are doing it
"I am the storm " fantastic line Non, channel that energy, I want the tshirt
Thanks for all your replies I am hanging out here for the day reading and listening to relaxing music... "I am the storm " is a great line
Old 11-06-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Isnt it funny how soon we forget all the negative aspects of drinking?It reminds me lab rats that will get electrocuted to get there fix but will die if its only food or water.

NeoNew, thats your AV (alcohol voice) talking to you, just tell it to STFU.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Max74 View Post
Isnt it funny how soon we forget all the negative aspects of drinking?It reminds me lab rats that will get electrocuted to get there fix but will die if its only food or water.

NeoNew, thats your AV (alcohol voice) talking to you, just tell it to STFU.
Thanks Max still going strong here I am not giving in this time...
Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

In this together

It gets so much better
Old 11-06-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
In this together

It gets so much better
Thank you
Old 11-06-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

NeoNew, you can get through this. Changing daily routines and patterns really helped me in the early days just to get through the really tough times of day.