Notices

Finished treatment

Old 11-05-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finished treatment

So that was a quick 2 months of intensive outpatient treatment! I graduated yesterday and it was a great feeling. I learned a hell of a lot about myself, about my addiction and most of all what to do about it. This was the best thing I could've done for myself and my family. I know there's going to be those that believe in me like my wife, and those that just want to continue kicking me as if I was down. I'm feeling great about my accomplishment, and I never want to go back to how I was feeling before while I was getting tanked. My wife sent a picture of my certificate of to her mom and her response to that was "I'm sure he will be toasting to that tonight...make sure he's not driving your car". I honestly kind of laughed, but that annoyed type of laugh. I told my wife well she can think what she wants I did this for me and not to try and prove anything to her. The new me is doing better each day. My wife loves the new me. I still have a plan in place to continue my aftercare which is once a week, and stay in contact with my outpatient friends.

Just one sad note from treatment is that one of the people that became a friend while in treatment relapsed on meth. He was sleeping in his car and of course the police come knocking. He was already on parole and seemed to be getting his life in order. He got charged with a DUI and sent back to prison to finish his sentence. If hes convicted of the DUI he will get 3 years minimum. Just crazy how one split decision can change your entire freaking life either good or bad!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on finishing treatment GetRight sorry about your friend
Old 11-06-2015, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats, getright!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Getright. I love hearing stories about people who do everything they have to to fight this horrible addiction we suffer. Thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best in your recovery!
Old 11-06-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good work!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats getright
Old 11-06-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job
Old 11-06-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Getright, congrats!

I had very similar feelings after completing IOP and tomorrow will be 15 months sober for me. I did have some bumps in the road but the many things I learned in IOP helped me through them. At around 7 months sober I had some unusual circumstances (recurrence of PTSD) and to my chagrin, I slipped. I managed to avoid a complete relapse, however by going to see my pdoc immediately, relating exactly what happened. He put me on anti-craving meds very short-term until I got my equilibrium back and now I'm more committed than ever. I never want to go through that again!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Super job dude! That is quite an accomplishment and I wish the best for you in your journey. Who cares what your wife's mom thinks. You will change her perception I know it.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for finishing the treatment and I'm glad you're proud of yourself.

I think it's a good idea to be careful who you tell about your sobriety, unless you are certain you can deal with negative comments.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great stuff GetRight!!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you!

Originally Posted by On The Road View Post
Getright. I love hearing stories about people who do everything they have to to fight this horrible addiction we suffer. Thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best in your recovery!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm actually pretty over the negative comments. She can be mad all she wants at me for everything that went down. I take full responsibility for all of my actions while drinking, but like I learned in IOP "There is never a wrong time to make a right decision"

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

I think it's a good idea to be careful who you tell about your sobriety, unless you are certain you can deal with negative comments.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

Congrats GetRight! That is also very true what Anna said, I'm just cringing thinking about all the negative comments and the "You know you want some!" comments that I will get. It's hard not to talk about your accomplishments to people you know and love. Talking about milestones on here however is the only place I feel comfortable!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yea it is a great feeling of accomplishment. So far shes been the only one that is negative about it. All good though because I did what I had to do for myself and my family.

Originally Posted by CurlyGirl1978 View Post
Congrats GetRight! That is also very true what Anna said, I'm just cringing thinking about all the negative comments and the "You know you want some!" comments that I will get. It's hard not to talk about your accomplishments to people you know and love. Talking about milestones on here however is the only place I feel comfortable!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

Now build upon what you learned and never let your guard down.

I had 5 ½ years sober once, got complacent thinking I was cured, and spent the next year trying to quit again. Don't do that.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One day at a time for me. I have a lot going on still. Still have one more court case to deal with next month and I have to start taking care of the court ordered crap (fines, classes etc). I just want to keep busy and be sober doing it. I've already caused enough destruction in my life.

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Congratulations!

Now build upon what you learned and never let your guard down.

I had 5 ½ years sober once, got complacent thinking I was cured, and spent the next year trying to quit again. Don't do that.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there & best wishes GR
Old 11-08-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me the after care plan was critical and still is because I will be an alcoholic until the day I take my last breath and God willing a sober alcoholic. Unfortunately there is no graduation or cure for my disease. There are effective treatment methods but no cure. I go to AA, have a sponsor, work the steps, pray, post on SR, help other alcoholics, continue my addiction education, and have a large social network of sober or lite drinking friends.

Two months is fantastic just keep doing all of the things you need to do on a daily basis to stay sober to day.