Notices

This might be pretty hard

Old 11-05-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This might be pretty hard

Some of you know I'm on Oxycodone and have been for some time. I have been taking roughly 1/2 of my prescribed dose for about 2 months now. My injuries were severe enough, and my prescriptions are large enough to where I could be loaded around the clock if I wanted to. I have heard too many horror stories, and I want to make the transition off of the meds as comfortable as possible. So every now and then I quit taking them for a period of time. I do this to see when the withdrawal symptoms kick in and what they are going to feel like. This morning is a good example. Yesterday I took my morning dose and that was it. Went to bed last night around 10PM and this morning at 4:45AM BAM! Wide awake, restless, constipated and nose running. There is no falling back asleep. You get up and take a dose. Period. Granted, I will taper when the time is right. It is "different" but not horrible. I've done this a couple times now. I would say it is not nearly bad as alcohol withdrawal, but it is going to be a challenge nonetheless.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Take it easy fella. Your injury was horrific I know, but if I were you I'd take as little of those as possible. But then only you know how much you need.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Thomas
I'm surprised you're addicted if you've been taking 1/2 your script for only two months. When I had cancer and a surgery to help solve it I was on them for about 4 months, taking pretty much exactly what the dr told me to and I had no withdrawals. Goes to show you how different we all are. Have you talked to your dr? What does he/she say about the withdrawal issue? Have you tried tapering, cutting pills? It might help also to get something for sleep for a week or so but if you tend to stay on pills that might not help...only help you switch addictions. Since you're taking a low dose it might not be as bad as you're thinking....the trick is to stay away from alcohol. If you quit drinking, but were still taking opiates, you've technically still had an altered state of mind. The hardest part, my guess is, will be psychological. Hang in there and definitely talk to the dr.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thomas, im very glad ya have a concern about becoming addicted.
however ya dont deserve to live in pain.
is the motive for wanting to get off them the fear of addiction alone?
Old 11-05-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi Thomas
I'm surprised you're addicted if you've been taking 1/2 your script for only two months. When I had cancer and a surgery to help solve it I was on them for about 4 months, taking pretty much exactly what the dr told me to and I had no withdrawals. Goes to show you how different we all are. Have you talked to your dr? What does he/she say about the withdrawal issue? Have you tried tapering, cutting pills? It might help also to get something for sleep for a week or so but if you tend to stay on pills that might not help...only help you switch addictions. Since you're taking a low dose it might not be as bad as you're thinking....the trick is to stay away from alcohol. If you quit drinking, but were still taking opiates, you've technically still had an altered state of mind. The hardest part, my guess is, will be psychological. Hang in there and definitely talk to the dr.
Hi frickaflip. I've been taking them for 6 months. its only the last two to two and half months in which I've cut it in half. No alcohol as that was partially what got me into this mess.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
thomas, im very glad ya have a concern about becoming addicted.
however ya dont deserve to live in pain.
is the motive for wanting to get off them the fear of addiction alone?
Quite frankly, yes. I've been through alcohol withdrawal pretty bad on two different occasions. Mild withdrawal several times, and those experiences are a large reason I quit drinking. I hated it MORE than I liked the drinking. So I don't want to become addicted and go through the physical discomfort. I take just enough medication so I can walk up and down stairs. If I don't take it, the pain becomes bad enough where I can't walk down stairs. I can go up ok, but going down is really painful.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jeff, when I went off benzos after 20+ years, I worked with my pdoc to do a very gradual taper. The last stage of the taper lasted about 6 months. That may not be appropriate for opioids but working with your doc on this would, IMHO, be very appropriate. The ultimate goal is success in getting off them, the exact timeframe is a bit less important.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree - if the pain is not manageable without any meds at all, you may still need somethign. Your best bet is to talk with your doctor though, there may be alternatives that are not med-based, and maybe not...but get some professional advice from your prescribing doc.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Be kind to yourself Jeff
Old 11-05-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Jeff, when I went off benzos after 20+ years, I worked with my pdoc to do a very gradual taper. The last stage of the taper lasted about 6 months. That may not be appropriate for opioids but working with your doc on this would, IMHO, be very appropriate. The ultimate goal is success in getting off them, the exact timeframe is a bit less important.
Thansk Saskia, I already have it scheduled. I saw her a couple weeks ago and its already planned out.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Jeff, I'd probably agree checking with a Dr to see if there is any other alternatives is a good way forward, being in pain is never good.

Hang in there!!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scott's advice is on the money Jeff. Keep working with your Dr.

I decided to do without my bedtime painkillers last night and I paid for it, so I guess I'll be on the regimen a little longer lol..

I hope your healing continues man

D