Still not catching a break on my foundation problems (OT)

Old 11-04-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Still not catching a break on my foundation problems (OT)

So you've all heard about my woes with my foundation issues, and the accompanying lawsuit (for which I've spent over $32k in legal fees, and we only filed the darned lawsuit a few months ago). Not to mention engineering fees--paid the first engineering firm over 7 grand and after expending legal fees for my lawyer to finally extract an expert's report from them, they quit answering emails or phone calls.

So I hired another engineer to do followup work. Paid him a $1500 retainer. This was in August and I've been asking when we can expect the report.

Today I get a call from my lawyer telling me Engineer #2 is in the hospital with a heart attack and he has to withdraw from the case.

Of course, I'm sorry the guy had a heart attack, but now we have to come up with Engineer #3, to whom I will have to pay ANOTHER retainer. Of course I should get most/all of the retainer paid to #2 back eventually, but who knows how long that will take?

Ugh, I am just so SICK of dealing with this. Every time I turn around this house is hemorrhaging money.

Thank you for letting me whine. I feel better now.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Lexie. Hopefully Engineer#3 will be a good fit

D
Old 11-04-2015, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lex,
Sorry you had to come back to this house issue. Wouldn't it have been nice if it magically fixed itself while you were away?!? Lol.

I guess selling is out of the question, huh? Hang in there!!
Ro
Old 11-04-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Lilro View Post
I guess selling is out of the question, huh?
I dunno, how much are you willing to give me?

Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone shelling out anything for this house as it stands (barely) right now. It's been appraised at less than a third of what I paid for it. It's underwater (thankfully, so far only in the financial sense--the problem is the slope behind my house that goes down to a creek, so "underwater" could have a whole new meaning).

I could advertise it as "potential waterfront property," I suppose...
Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lol....potential waterfront property..sounds good to me!!

A short sale may be an option... Sorry, I can't help it, I'm a realtor!
Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm not in a rush to get out (though if someone offered to take it off my hands I'd jump at the chance)--I like my neighborhood and my neighbors. I'll probably eventually have it fixed (more money--hopefully I'll recover something in the lawsuit) and sell at some point down the road.

It's just one of those low-level depressing THINGS that life throws at you sometimes. Lots of people are homeless, so I try to maintain perspective.

Thanks for the empathy, though.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

do you feel any better knowing we have a dead RAT in a wall somewhere and have lived with the aroma of DEATH for over a week??? most every year, right around my BD (10/27) we get ONE hairy visitor....one year the visitor was upstairs and ran right past me ON my BD when i was bare foot going for coffee.

we have leak near the chimney somewhere, so it has been wrapped most elegantly in tarp since LAST years rainy season.

we have asbestos insulation in at least ONE exterior wall in the basement - which is also where the "visitor" gets in....and we can't find the access portal yet.

when we bought the house 8 years ago it was appraised at MORE than the sale price so we had instant equity. and then a year later, the bottom fell out of the real estate market and we were $100,000 UNDER water. we are still closing that gap.

the freezer in our side by side fridge is now forming a glacier in the bottom to the point where i fear it will just freeze shut one day.

shall i go on????

i hear you and i feel you, Lex. home ownership, supposedly the goal of EVERY American, ain't for everyone!

but dang it, when i pulled into the drive tonite and saw the soft yellow lighting thru the front windows, and my dogs wiggling with delight to see Mama come home, I, for a minute at least, forgot all about that crap.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, I know, Anvil. You and I could start a support group for beleaguered homeowners.

Yeah, there are moments my house makes me happy, too. Today happened not to be one of them, BUT. I do have a lot to be thankful for. No dead rats in the wall, for one thing.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

support group for beleaguered homeowners
Can I join? I am in desperate need of support - lol.

I'll add my own woes. My house has foundation issues also - along with lots of other issues. It is a big domino line of problems. The whole house needs work. All the big issues (you know, the unseen ones?) - are $$$$. Electrical, plumbing (leaks), foundation. I hate, hate, hate the flooring (old, stained carpet, pealing linoleum that never looks clean). I have given up on it. I get absolutely no help at all with it. I could take the lead and arrange for estimate, repairs, etc, but have NO buy in with rah, either financially or physical help. I refuse to be the only one that puts out money and effort to resolve issues with this house. I used to do it all but have let it go. Now I just clean it and live with what I can't change. I am almost to the point of dumping it and getting an apartment - I don't need fancy, but I would like a nice home.

I have decided that I will take the $$ that I used to pump into fighting the repair "fires" are going to go towards vacations.

This whole situation moves me to tears some days - I just don't understand rah mentality and lack of desire to improve the situation.

Ok, rant off.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sorry all but this gave me the first laughter of today... wow..
what type of house is this very old??? victorian or Frank wright.. or just big and on water...

house next door to us. built 1906 bed rooms.. lady got it for a dollar and a 50,000 grant from the city. she was to live in it as it was being redone.. she took the money and ran.. her brother got the house next. Dwight is just beside himself.. foundation problems 75,000 to fix.. the house had been gutted by theives for copper metal and everything they could rip out... but left the windows that had been made in France back in the 1900's.. he has sunk over 150,000 in a house that is only worth 55,000 in the market or neighborhood we are in.. no off street parking no laundry near by and you have to bus out and back in for transport.. when you can get the bus... place is a mess .. he has 4 apartments in it 2 tiny ones for 1 person and 2 a little larger. and the 3rd floor.. 5 furnances and water heaters and elec for the house.. he doesn't know who he will rent anything too. as the peoples that comes to look at our neighborhood had 150 of thiers brothers walked out in the last 3 days in cuffs.. so really kiddo I am sorry for all your problems.. I hope the house is worth it.. our house needs a new roof and lots of outside siding down.. I love her to bits.. for she is still the German 1906 9 bedroom with everything down to my door knobs correct.. she is the reason I get up every morning with a broom and mop and clean from 4 am to 6 and then come to work.. for when the sun light comes in thro my bay windows of 1906, before the great War and War ll... she shines the family stair case I sit half way up and have my coffee and blue berry muffin and I know the cook from that day is tapping her foot worrying that I will spill.. hugs prayers and may the Good Lord grant you a Bright and Joyous Christmas in this home of yours like he will of mine.... ardy wisconsin

Originally Posted by Lilro View Post
Lol....potential waterfront property..sounds good to me!!

A short sale may be an option... Sorry, I can't help it, I'm a realtor!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wish we could put up photos of the best part of our house. would love to see some of the Grand Homes so far away... like I said one time on Face Book my house .. break in and you get to wash windows. we have 21.. hahaaaaa no what no one has taken me up on the offer. hahahahah
Old 11-05-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, Lyssy,

I totally get that. I have been putting some money into replacing carpet/flooring, redid my kitchen (flooring, countertop, sink/faucet), but I know what you mean--there's a limit to what you feel like doing when it feels like a losing battle.

I don't even consider the VALUE of my home anymore except what it is worth fixing up because it makes me feel better. For me, the improvements I made did make me feel better about my surroundings. I live alone, though, but I do understand the resentment that builds when it feels like you're the only one trying to make things better.

Hugs, and I hope you are able to find a nice apartment in your future. I spend so much time at home (working from home these days) that I need to feel comfortable there.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My house is a modest townhouse built in the mid-70s. I'm the second owner, and when I moved in there was a built-in 8-track player in the basement!

I have no indication that the previous owners had a clue about the problems that were in the offing. I had the house inspected before I bought it and it got a clean bill of health--the problems started a couple of years after I moved in. I don't think the previous owners know how lucky they really were!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Lexi, what a true nightmare.

I'll join the group though, I have a laundry list of repairs & upgrades that we are desperately in need of... I actually started writing it down on a physical list, organized by room to help RAH remember.

My dishwasher has needed replacement for a couple of years, our water system randomly & all too frequently stops working completely because there are so many pieces & parts to the well system that it seems something is always going out. I can't get AHEAD just yet to get more proactive about it but we're getting there.

We are on short stilts & the area under the house NEEDS to be refilled with fill dirt to raise the ground back up where erosion has washed it away. But since our insurance company insisted on us enclosing the area, we have to rip up the panels on every available side, try to dump the dirt as close as possible & then shovel it across the entire length of the house to fill. You can't STAND in this area, it's hot, sweaty, crouched-down work that has to be done over the winter before next summer's rains flood that area again, turning it into a mosquito breeding ground. BUT WAIT - before you do all of that & narrow that gap by raising the ground, the insulation in the flooring above that area needs to be replaced.... across the entire length of the house. So add itchy-work to the list.

My windows are horrendous & have needed to be replaced for years, I have random light fixtures that need replaced/repaired, all of my towel racks & bathroom mirror/vanities need to be replaced at this point (25 yrs old), I have some random parts of our pergo flooring that need to be replaced - you know, that one in the CENTER, RAH still hasn't finished the baseboards & trim in all rooms & I can't even begin to name the wall areas that I want patched/repainted. Hell, I want at least 3 rooms fully repainted at this point. The outside is overdue for pressure cleaning & ALL of my screen doors & walls need the hardware & screens replaced.

We are SO far behind with the house & I have refused to even LOOK at the property values for at least the last 5 years even though they've been getting better. Our area was hit hard & early when the market dropped out & we are recovering at a snail's pace.

And for all of it, it's a great house & we love it. I'm so grateful that we did the roofing, siding, wind-mitigation-crap, new flooring, etc. years ago when we went through a round of upgrades & that we were able to replace the A/C system when it went out at the beginning of summer this year. Things could be worse!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Does it make anyone feel better knowing something dark n disturbing moved into my house... (besides my mother) MOLD! I have other issues going on too I could expound on but need to get ready for work. It's a joy being a home owner!
Old 11-06-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Man I am so sorry. RAH and I have been involved as plaintiff's in legal matter that seems to be one hiccup after another for about 14 month. I feel your pain. I hope its resolved soon.

When I read your title 'Foundation" issues I thought you were talking about makeup, and I though "oh I got this".
Old 11-06-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

ack, MOLD....noooooooooooo!
Old 11-06-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
ack, MOLD....noooooooooooo!
I know! I think we may need a new roof.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I wish I knew how to post photos cause I would love for you girls to see the house I left my exabf with! ( as I sit here in my remodeled little cottage ) lol!