Notices

Counting The Days

Old 11-04-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Counting The Days

Does everyone on here count their days of sobriety? I am going on 10 days sober, and I just wonder if there comes a point where the daily count loses its importance?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There was a time when I couldn't string a few hours together, and one day at a time was a very real thing, then it was days, then weeks, then months.

Sobriety at some point though becomes more than simply not drinking, it becomes a change in lifestyle, new routines, new habits, activities change, we learn about ourselves and grow on a journey.

Our old way of life gets kicked to the sidelines the more we build the foundations for a new life, and as a result for me the counting of days went by the wayside, I couldn't' tell you the number, I'd have to look it up, but my Sober date is marked on my calendar!!
Old 11-04-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

For me it will never lose importance but I do lose count I think I'm 842 today but that's because of Bob's thread I know that otherwise I count by month & year but more by year now I stopped counting months when I reached 18 months
Old 11-04-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I counted days in the beginning but over time I haven't been. I count months now.

Some people count, some people don't. I found it helpful to me. A sense of accomplishment.

Good job on day 10. That is a great feat.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I personally never have. Anxiety and mild OCD are my triggers and counting days actually became a negative to me so I let that sail. I just try every day to find another way to occupy my time with something less detrimental to my over all well being. The best thing for me now is waking up after a good nights sleep knowing as long as I repeat the process I will feel good the next day also. Funny how something as simple as rest can be so rewarding. I spent years searching for a way to quiet my mind and all the while sabotaged my ability to do so.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by C23 View Post
Does everyone on here count their days of sobriety? I am going on 10 days sober, and I just wonder if there comes a point where the daily count loses its importance?
The accumulation of sober days never loses its importance to me. However, a daily count is difficult because I have years of freedom from alcohol.

I think if counting reinforces the accomplishment of your sobriety, then count. If not, don't count.

However, when I read posts from those who don't want to count because they blame their relapse on counting, I think, "Look deeper." A lot of times the only people who have issues with counting sober days are those who can't accumulate many of them.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Presumably it’s typical to count the days at the time our new sober life is born. I guess it’s a bit like when a new baby is born – in the beginning we count their age in days, then weeks and months … we notice every little change, recognise every little stage of their development. When they reach the age of a toddler we start counting their years and recognise the bigger milestones.
Old 11-04-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days! That's a great accomplishment. As others have said, some count and some don't. Go with what ever works for you.

I still count. I don't update my calendar every day, but I still feel a sense of pride and accomplishment each day that I advance. I think PurpleKnight hit it right on... once you pass a certain point, it becomes less about not drinking and more about a change in lifestyle, a change in who we had become through drinking and reverting back to not drinking, we learn who we are.

Well done on 10 days!
Old 11-04-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

456 hours sober for me (or 19 sober sunrises)
Whether it's one hour at a time or one day at a time, whatever works for you.