Notices

Nice problem to have question

Old 11-03-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nice problem to have question

I'm on day 24 and in the last week, things are really going well, I've not had cravings like I did and I've made it through several events like football games, friends who I would drink with dropping by, and mostly the day to day coming home from work. I am in a different world and it is going well.
Having said that- is this exactly what o need to beware of? I feel like I have a good control over things and can't imagine saying to heck with it or that I can drink because I've shown such good restraint so far. What do I need to watch out for at this point and is there anything I need to start doing to graduate into the next phase of sobriety?
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kids, congrats on 24 days. Just remember, 24 days is great but still very early on. Your AV will try to take advantage of any situation as soon as you let your guard down.

I had to avoid some situations in the past so I wouldn't trigger my AV. You've got to give yourself the best chance at success. If you feel strong enough to handle these situations then that's great. Just never forget why you have decided to quit, or your escape plan in case your AV starts to get the best of the situation. Never become complacent.

You're doing great, 24 days is fantastic!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing amazing Kids #24 days XO
Old 11-03-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, good for you!
Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Watch out for HALT: these'll bite you in the tush when you least expect it! Good job and good luck

Hunger
Anger
Loneliness
Tiredness
Old 11-03-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KE

I'm glad all is well. I think it's good to be prepared for that time when you'll be suddenly presented with alcohol, or that time when things aren't going so well and the thought of a drink enters your head.

think about scenarios...keep posting here...24 days is great but, without wishing ill upon you, I think it would be a mistake (one I know I've made in the past) to think you've got it all sewn up from here.

(not that I'm suggesting you're saying that - just things to look out for).

Confidence is great - complacency is not
Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job, 24 days is great!!

I usually feel the same way you do after some time sober - I feel healthy, in shape, mentally stable...so I start to think that I can drink like normal people. Just a couple with friends, right?

That's when I have to remind myself that I am still the same person who would get blackouts, waking up in strange places and puke my guts out at work after a binge. The drunken me could be back in a couple of hours. Who I am will never change, that's why I must change what I do and how I live.

Stay strong, you're doing great!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Congrats Kids. I haven't been here that long but I love seeing people that I recognized as new doing so well. It doesn't seem like it's been 24 days ago. Time seems to go by so slow but then I see someone like you and I think, wow, it's 24 days already. I'm 51 days btw.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Complacency is always good to protect against, in the bad times I found it easier not to drink, but when the thoughts and memories faded with time, I needed something to keep me focused on the task at hand.

Tapping into support on a daily basis in the good times is a good way forward, check in daily here on SR, read some threads, some of your older threads, you'll not go far wrong!!

You can do this, keep it going!!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post, I was thinking the same thing (I'm on day 18). I got a little complacent and walked past the micro brew isle last night. OMG! It was like an arm reached out, grabbed me, and pulled me to it! I started reading some of the labels, then I snapped out of it and rushed out fast! So, it was said above, complacency and thinking you can drink like other people may be the biggest risks we face. Hey, I've managed to not drink 24 days, 60 days, that proves I don't have a drinking problem, right? Oh, I forgot, I stopped for a reason...