New here... Advice on Crack, please.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation New here... Advice on Crack, please.

Hello all,

My 'significant other' is a crack addict. He seems to, or appears to function normally. Holds down a 9-5 job, very friendly, do anything for anyone etc, etc, the usual so I read on the web. Apparently he has smoked it for a long time. He also takes Methadone...

I really want to get across that I am not naive in general but my experience with crack addiction is limited. I guess I would like advice really.

How can someone with a crack habit appear to function so normally. Yeah he is pretty broke as standard I suppose. How far would manipulation and acting out of a relationship go? Is it likely that he is not as sane in his own mind as he outwardly appears to be?

I know all people are different and all situations. I just need a starting point to go from I guess, as I care about this person...

Thanks in advance, IC.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a tough one. Others could help you more...

My bf is a crack addict, extremely nonfunctioning when he is on it. He has deteriorated a lot since I first met him a couple of years ago. I know others who are not necessarily terrible people to be around, but few are able to keep their lives together.

I suppose a lot of scenarios are possible. Be careful.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
indigo...

Welcome to the Board from across the Pond. I'm am not conversant in crack addiction, but I'm conversant enough in addiction to be highly skeptical of anyone being able to function "normally" on it. Convolve that with methadone use, and what you've got is a potential sh!tstorm with you caught in the middle of it.

Our goal here at FFSA is to help our members make the best decisions they can for themselves. And a lot of times those decisions are difficult ones. So I encourage you to not only learn what you can about the addiction side of it, but how our members have dealt with a loved one's addiction.

Keep us posted, and again, Welcome to the Board.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My AXB is crack addicted. I had no idea what that was, until I finally realized that the disappearing acts and lack of communication meant he was on a binge. He was functional and holding down a job when we met 3 years ago, but has progressed until he walked off his job and stopped going to school. He admitted a problem and sought rehab and NA meetings. But after several attempts at rehab, both in patient and out, he just cannot seem to quit the pipe. My only advice is hide your money and valuables. When a crack head is on a binge, they have a compulsion for more, like a thirsty man in the desert. And if they dont have the money, they will feel nothing to take yours. I caught my AXB taking money from my purse on more than one occasion. So, when he is around me (which is not often anymore) I make sure to have limited cash and keep my wallet close. Its a terrible drug and the dealers know who to go to for a good long binge and lots of money in a short period of time.

It took me a long time to see that its really hard to kick, without a lot of willpower and willingness to accept that you have no control.
Owl
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all, we have been in this relationship for almost two years and he has held his job down for over 10 years. He has smoked for almost 20 years and been on Methadone for around 10. No one has ever had a bad word to say about him to me. I just seems to contradict everything I read on crack addiction.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not a normal relationship we have, it can't be, and I am here for advice as I suppose I know it's a relationship I shouldn't carry on with really, but with the only negative being his persistent need to smoke, which only seems to mellow him out, I am having a hard time walking away from him.

I suppose what I am waiting for is the sh!tstorm , as Zoso said, but I don't want to get to that point.

I just don't trust my own judgement anymore....

IC.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Originally Posted by Indigochild View Post
... which only seems to mellow him out
And...you're sure it's crack he's smoking ??
Old 11-03-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

crack doesn't MELLOW people out......does he smoke around you? are you sure you aren't talking about POT?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well he has the initial high but when that wears off he is mellow, totally. Yes certainly crack, rock, white, dub..

Not pot! That's one thing he doesn't smoke. I have seen him smoke I am ashamed to admit yes.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just to add also, I dabbled with drugs in my teens and early 20's and I do know a lot about drugs just not proper full on addiction.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try to get him some help,stay strong
Old 11-03-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

so you have a BF that is IN to heavy duty drugs, is ON methadone for SOME reason we presume and who likes to sit around and smoke crack.....how is that REALLY working for you? what would you say to your daughter or best friend if this was HER post???
Old 11-03-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Indigochild, do not give him any money for any reason, hide all your jewelry and whatever is valuable to you, and never ever let him use your car. Hope for the best, but absolutely prepare for the worst. Rootin for ya .
Old 11-04-2015, 01:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
so you have a BF that is IN to heavy duty drugs, is ON methadone for SOME reason we presume and who likes to sit around and smoke crack.....how is that REALLY working for you? what would you say to your daughter or best friend if this was HER post???
Thank you, I appreciate that, I just can't seem to rationalise my thoughts. This is why I am trying to grasp if I am under some sort of manipulation or just weak.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The methadone is what makes it possible to keep his life together, hold down a job etc. Many crack addicts use heroin to ease the crack comedown, which is apparently so intense it's what drives the extended binge and utter devastation it causes, i.e. selling everything you and everyone you know owns to get more crack.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope14 View Post
The methadone is what makes it possible to keep his life together, hold down a job etc. Many crack addicts use heroin to ease the crack comedown, which is apparently so intense it's what drives the extended binge and utter devastation it causes, i.e. selling everything you and everyone you know owns to get more crack.
Thank you, this is what I was thinking. It makes sense and does explain what I said about him being mellow and seeming to not fit in with the stereotypical Crack addict.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

a crack head may appear to function normally......
at this time.

look inside and see how good the crackhead is functioning.

i was hooked on crack for a while. it appearedi was functioning normally until i wasnt. it took time.

your not weak. maybe in denial about tne seriousness lf it,but not weak.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Indigochild, how goes it with ya, we are all on your side.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
a crack head may appear to function normally......
at this time.

look inside and see how good the crackhead is functioning.

i was hooked on crack for a while. it appearedi was functioning normally until i wasnt. it took time.

your not weak. maybe in denial about tne seriousness lf it,but not weak.
Denial, a thought that hasn't crossed my mind but quite possible.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Neferkamichael, lovely, thank you.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

your awakening has begun ... keep coming back and keep sharing. Read older posts that provide the info that you are searching for. Have you considered a meeting for you ? Alanon, Naranon, Coda ?