Notices

How do you want it? (To get Sober)

Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you want it? (To get Sober)

I drank on the 31st.
So I'm on day 2. I feel pretty good overall. No desire to drink tonight and I won't. That's fine. I've tried the one day at a time approach, as it works for many. But there's a part of me that feels like I just don't want to be sober. I have a busy week and I probably will get through it without drinking. But How does one attain long term sobriety when I have a reservation in my head that is saying "well maybe..." For some people they hit rock bottom right? Go to rehab or get a DUI. I know this bottom will come if I don't stop. I'm only 26, and I don't want to bottom out. What was it for you? What made you say THAT IS IT? I'm living my life sober. I hear from nearly everyone on here that a sober life is SO REWARDING AND SO MUCH BETTER. But I've yet to experience that. Most quit attempts I can barely get 3-4 days. In the last 4 years my record was 10 days. It's just because deep down I'm not sold on the idea. Maybe it's because I'm relatively young an naive. Of course my family and friends and girlfriend want me to quit. I do want to quit as well. There's no doubt about that. I don't want to cut back. I want to stop completely. But there is this other part of me that just isn't sold on it, and until I want it 100% I know I'm doomed to relapse... yet again. So any advice on how you personally got to that point of being able to say and believe 100% in your heart that you were done, would be really helpful for me tonight.

Thanks for your Support SR,

-Syn
Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know if I'm at that point either but what will it take for me to be?? The other night i sat on my kitchen floor and passed out with head against cupboard I'm not sure for how long. I have 2 children 4 and 12, what if they had got up and seen me like that? What would I say? That's just one thing of many that have happened recently. I've gotten away with so far by the skin of my teeth but does it have to get worse for me to stop? Does it have to get worse for you to stop??
Old 11-02-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're absolutely right that you have to be 100% committed to sobriety for it work. If you have that crack in your thinking, it's going to be very hard.

I hope you stop drinking before you hit your bottom. If you've looked around here, you know that people lost family, friends, jobs, money, respect, health, everything. And, you probably know that alcoholism is progressive and it will get worse. Give yourself a chance to see if you find positive changes in your life. It will take more than a few days, but hang in there and see the progress you can make.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please don't wait till you hit rock bottom. Ive had many including 2 DUI which im still facing the after math, health problems and many humiliation with friends and family. Im back on my 4th day and things do get better slowly.

What's working for me right now is getting myself educated on alcoholism and also taking inventory of myself. I use to tell myself that alcohol benefits me, it gives me courage and confidence but at the end is all an illusion

But How does one attain long term sobriety when I have a reservation in my head that is saying "well maybe..."
I go through that voice everyday, and i know its my AV, just dont give in.

What was it for you? What made you say THAT IS IT
Unfortunately, it was 2nd DUI which happen earlier this year. I kept drinking but after a course that i took on drunk driving, i was able to hear others speak about their sobriety and how well they are doing without indulging. I'm 29 year old and the past 15 years have been wasted on getting high and drunk. I quit weed 5 years ago and took a harder fall with the alcohol. Im on day 4 today.

Let's make this recovery last for the long term...
Old 11-02-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=GhostFace;5625532]Please don't wait till you hit rock bottom. Ive had many including 2 DUI which im still facing the after math, health problems and many humiliation with friends and family. Im back on my 4th day and things do get better slowly.

What's working for me right now is getting myself educated on alcoholism and also taking inventory of myself. I use to tell myself that alcohol benefits me, it gives me courage and confidence but at the end is all an illusion.

Thanks, Yes, I've driven drunk more times that I can account for. Luckily I've never been caught. At times I would just floor the accelerator when there was no traffic around on an open highway. I think part of me just wanted for a cop car to be hinding behind a pole and catch me. I don't want to keep digging for the bottom. I want this to be it. I recently just spoke with a friend and he said stop fighting your AV. This is something that I've never tried. He said what worked for him was embracing his AV as a part of himself and loving it, and every part of himself. I'm going to give this a try.

Congrats on Day 4 Let's keep this sober train rolling.